C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quadrajet Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 06:15 AM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Quadrajet Question

I normally post in the C1 section but I have a '69 sbc w/Quadrajet, so any questions about that probably belong in this area.
Lars told me to stick with the quad that came with my engine, and it's running good, but it would be better for my configuration if there was an outlet on the aft side of the throttle plate so I can connect my PCV valve to, rather than the front (existing plate is not drilled on the backside).
Also, my air adjustment screws on the front are frozen, corrosion I guess.

My question is, can I replace my throttle plate with one from another carb without messing up my carb? If so, any particular one?
My carb is a 4MV 7029202.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Cliff Ruggles has a section in his book showing the method of drilling and tapping the base plate. Get his book and Lars papers on qjets and rebuild your carb. If you're hesitant to open your carb up, send it to either of those two experts. Or if you're the adventuresome type, buy the cheapest, junkiest and dirtiest qjet on ebay you can find (less than $20) and tear it apart first for the experience before you open your carb up. That way, if you break or bend something, you won't have a heart attack.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:10 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Im not seeing why u should swap locations? That would be a lot more work to even just replace the carb than to change the PCV hose.

I think if u take a solid wire and poke through the PCV port it will go directly into the base of the venturies meaning its just port to the intake w/o and special function. I could be wrong though and need to get to the garage and look again. But what im saying is that really any intake connection should do for the PCV though u would want a port common to both cyl banks on a dual plane intake.

As for the idle adjustment screws u could soak them in penetrant and use deep socket on a flex shaft 1/4" drive for more torque to try and free them before u round the slot with a screwdriver.

Swapping throttle plates would be a mess and a lot of work. Even just rebuilding a qjet for the first time is gonna be more than one headache. Yes getting a junker carb to learn on is really a good idea and maybe u could locate one with your PCV connection location and the correct choke for your car too. That way youll have a spare tool box carb for trouble shooting also.

Hope this helps more than it hurts.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by 59BlueSilver
It would be better for my configuration if there was an outlet on the aft side of the throttle plate so I can connect my PCV valve to, rather than the front (existing plate is not drilled on the backside).

Also, my air adjustment screws on the front are frozen, corrosion I guess.

My question is, can I replace my throttle plate with one from another carb without messing up my carb? If so, any particular one?
My carb is a 4MV 7029202.
You can simply drill and tap the back of the '69 throttle plate so it matches the configuration of the later model plates. You'll need to remove the plate to do that.

For your seized mixture screws, give them a good soak-down with penetrating oil and then heat up the throttle plate at the screw area with a propane torch. Once nice-n-hot, you can wiggle them back and forth carefully, and they will eventually free up so you can remove them.

You can send me your entire throttle plate if you'd like me to do the modifcations for you.

Lars
Old 04-15-2015, 02:12 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

A simple fix would be a "T" fitting in the power brake booster line coming off the back of the carb.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
A simple fix would be a "T" fitting in the power brake booster line coming off the back of the carb.
'69 carbs don't have a fitting in the back of the carb - the hole is not drilled or tapped. That's his problem...

Lars
Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
59BlueSilver
Safety Car

Received 929 Likes on 531 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year Finalist
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by lars
You can simply drill and tap the back of the '69 throttle plate so it matches the configuration of the later model plates. You'll need to remove the plate to do that.

For your seized mixture screws, give them a good soak-down with penetrating oil and then heat up the throttle plate at the screw area with a propane torch. Once nice-n-hot, you can wiggle them back and forth carefully, and they will eventually free up so you can remove them.

You can send me your entire throttle plate if you'd like me to do the modifcations for you.

Lars
Sent you a PM

Get notified of new replies

To Quadrajet Question

Quick Reply: Quadrajet Question