C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quench with boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 01:02 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Quench with boost?

Is there a rule of thumb for ideal quench #'s when building a boosted motor? Currently have a .045 quench (.020 gasket, .025 deck) and ~10.4 compression. If I get a thicker gasket I can get to a reasonable compression ratio (~9.5) but the quench obviously goes out the window. Not looking to build a crazy motor (yet), but would like to put 8ish PSI through it without changing too much.
Dart SHP 406 with AFR 195's
Old 04-17-2015, 03:49 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

BE CAREFUL. Don't negate the beautiful combustion chamber design of those AFR's with a thick gasket. 9.5 compression and 8 psi, you're going to be buying a lot of pistons.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

why not leave it alone and use less boost, there are guys doing that.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:42 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dochorsepower
BE CAREFUL. Don't negate the beautiful combustion chamber design of those AFR's with a thick gasket. 9.5 compression and 8 psi, you're going to be buying a lot of pistons.
Why do you say that? There are plenty of people running way more than 8psi on 9.5 compression. The plan is to run an intercooled D1SC.
The motor has mahle forged flat top pistons and I would prefer to not have to tear into the bottom end for now unless dished pistons are a necessity.

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
why not leave it alone and use less boost, there are guys doing that.
Im not going to spend $5k on a blower setup and run 5-6psi to make ~75 more hp.

What I want to do is see if I can make the most of the parts that I have. If it is not bad practice to use a thicker gasket to lose some compression for the sake of boost then I will do that until I feel like tearing into the bottom end to build a motor that will take more boost.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I would rework combustion chambers for more volume rather than run a gasket that is too thick.....more than 0.050" and your losing efficiency.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:16 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We run .080 quench on a 540 BBC twin turbo set up. However, we run 7 times the boost level you are looking to run.

Be very careful on timing with it. The Mahle pistons, depending on the design may not like boost. The Mahle's I have seen, which isn't many, were built very light with thin ring packs and not a lot of material above the top ring. This type of piston design typically is not friendly in any power adder application.

Double check what the piston design is to make sure of exactly what you have. If they are as I described, I would be very careful in my decision to boost it. If it is not happy with the boost and timing it will let you know real quick with the top pulled off of pistons or top ring lands lifted.

C3's and power adders are a lot of fun!

Be careful and have fun!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
dochorsepower
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

One thing to remember is that a lot of guys running a lot of boost (like in C-5, C-6 Vettes) also have electronic spark control that senses the onset of detonation and adjusts the spark advance and/or mixture to protect the engine. If you are going to boost a C-3, you need to incorporate this kind of system OR get a good supply of replacement pistons and rings.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:48 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

On my first Motor I went with 7.8 to 1 with twin Turbocharging. What was considered a standard at the time. The motor was a real dog off idle, couldn't get out of its own way till it made some boost. My current Motor is right at 10 to 1 and makes decent HP prior to boost. No Intercooling. Having a Computer run the show is the real trick to success. If You look at the Factory ZR-1 LS9 You will also see the general kept Compression in it.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:27 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Is there a rule of thumb for ideal quench #'s when building a boosted motor? Currently have a .045 quench (.020 gasket, .025 deck) and ~10.4 compression. If I get a thicker gasket I can get to a reasonable compression ratio (~9.5) but the quench obviously goes out the window. Not looking to build a crazy motor (yet), but would like to put 8ish PSI through it without changing too much.
Dart SHP 406 with AFR 195's
what size chambers do your afr's have? You might be able to go to a 210 which has better intake & exhaust flow and run 76cc chambers if your not already.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by HBZ_81_C3
We run .080 quench on a 540 BBC twin turbo set up. However, we run 7 times the boost level you are looking to run.
You're running 56 lbs. of boost on a gasoline engine?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

I have never come across a rule of thumb for quench in boosted motors. I have read that in high rpm motors too tight quench can be unproductive. Also, with static compression less than 9:1 quench has little effect.

Generally for a street/strip motor u want quench height greater than .035" but by 0.060" it has little effect on combustion.

I would be more worried 'bout quench area and maximize my chamber volume for the supercharger. Like i would want my unswept volume to be in the head chamber as much as possible rather than in a piston dish. If u want to know more u could google it as my explanation my not be the best.

Like Solid LT1 said reworking the chambers to open them up to increase unswept volume and nail your static volume is the best idea. Getting the chambers polished out and volume matched should not be very expensive as the chamber areas are easier to access and work on (compared to the head runners). That way u could add a lot more boost too.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for u.

Get notified of new replies

To Quench with boost?

Quick Reply: Quench with boost?