C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHO here has the MOST modified C3..?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
G'day,

I'm surprised that no Aussies have chimed in with their RHD cars. They have to make a ship load of modifications to convert to RHD. Some even move the engines over to the left a few inches to get more foot room, then the tunnel has to be moved, seat mounting points, etc.

James Pierce, an occasional contributor here, has a 1968 L89 convertible, with a RHD Holden Commodore R&P fitted and to the average punter, it looks like it came from St. Louis that way. The brake booster and MC have to be moved over, the HVAC moved the other way, and the list goes on.

Luckily the law changed here a decade ago and cars built before 1989 can remain LHD for full registration. As an aside, with Holden, Ford and Toyota closing down their assembly plants in Melbourne and Adelaide in the next two years, I wonder if the Australian government will relax its laws on LHD imports? We shall see.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
I have heard of this but do you have any pictures of a c3 converted?
I have seen the US made Corvette summer car but it was hack jobbed, the old harley sprocket and chain from the right column back over to the left side steering box...

For now this is the way I see what it would look like...

Bonus points to the first contestant that can name whose stunning interior I used for this fun photo shop....
Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 AM
Dirk76
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Book marked
Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
For now this is the way I see what it would look like...

BATS! Where did you find a mirror big enough to reverse that interior?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
I interpreted the OP's comment as inviting descriptions of licensed street cars (that may occasionally see a fun day at a racetrack), versus actual (unlicensed) race cars.

I'm open to correction from the OP, though.
Originally Posted by 69427
Okay Gene, your turn.
Originally Posted by doorgunner
BATS! Where did you find a mirror big enough to reverse that interior?
He computer flipped it.....

Yeh, I was thinking loosely of modified but tagged street cars, something modified for ***** out racing would probably not be legal to most cops....

Eh, as you can see on my site the car is pretty much nothing stock, I bought it in '95, it was an old show car in Md. just outside DC....I suspect the car has wicked flares on it at one time as it was a lime green metallic, but the flares cut back by second owner and car painted burgundy....the tail lights are '68 Olds, the headlights met an untimely death at the body of a damn deer back in '98 here in Florida, then when a Verizon truck backed into the front bumper, it was over for the burgundy paint that was about 20 some off years old, no more patching for it, so I did best I could and shot it green, and got a bit creative on the paint.....

'89 vette rims 275/50/17 rear 255/50/17 front, O ring pistons in SS calipers, hydroboost, aluminum m/cyl, lo profile later Camaro bulbs in front, smaller openings, custom grill, lights behind....late F body radiator, engine oil cooler for the trans, dual Spal fans, '89 4 bolt truck block, L98 heads, headers, LT1 induction, run with speed density computer, and stock HEI in back, needless to say the Manifold was highly modified, serp drive, rack/pinion steering by ME, before any kits hit the market 01-02 winter...., 200 4r trans for the overdrive to the 336 rear, hurst shifter rod, 8 ball on top for the COOL factor, custom center dash, white out the stock speedo/electronic tach, added power windows years ago, wrapped the stainless window header to assure no leaks in rainstorm, total custom HVAC etc control panel, red lights flicker in time to the firing order of the engine, A&B blue lights for the batch fire injection, SE light and FPump are green.....built in garage door opener, custom anti theft setup, dropped the rear seat tracks and left old foam in the seat bottom to effectively lower my seating position, added later shark TT wheel, with the 'illegal' Nader '77 vette chrome horn button/TT ring.....cut the lower firewall out the entire width, and up to the steering column height, pried it forward about 3", glassed it in, and cut/welded the brake pedal, and bent the gas pedal so to drop my knees off the wheel, I drive in the James Dean Slouch position, right elbow on the console pad, left hand over the wheel....suspension on both ends are VBP plastic 360 rear, 460 front coils, Billstein sport shocks.....VBP lower struts, along with spreader bar up front....higher amp alternator.....mini starter, headers, H pipe, Magnaflow SS muffs, no radio but has two speakers in back deck....cruise control....
car was a Muncie 4 speed, so cut/welded the cross support to allow removal of trans with ease.....exhaust is on the ground with just 6 bolts....HVAC is on permanent recirculation, it's a rag top, so who needs fresh air???

I think there is some other things, but I forget to remember......

Old 04-21-2015, 05:31 PM
0Heartland Customs
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King of the custom C3's

Ok I have been really secret about this custom C3 build, but its time to let the cat out of the bag. Meet "STINGRAY"...

This build started as a worn out NOM '71 coupe and when it is complete in a few months it will be the most high performance, high tech and high end C3 to date. Well at least until we unveil the next C3 we are secretly building

I will post some pictures in the following days or maybe a page dedicated to the build and start filling it with pictues and details for you guys to enjoy.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Heartland Customs
Ok I have been really secret about this custom C3 build, but its time to let the cat out of the bag. Meet "STINGRAY"...

This build started as a worn out NOM '71 coupe and when it is complete in a few months it will be the most high performance, high tech and high end C3 to date. Well at least until we unveil the next C3 we are secretly building

I will post some pictures in the following days or maybe a page dedicated to the build and start filling it with pictues and details for you guys to enjoy.

Last edited by The13Bats; 04-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

This is a very interesting subject. I would like to think my 1980 is in the running. It would be difficult to come up with a number of things modified, since in the last 30 years the car has gone threw at least 3 modernasaysions most of the major components have been modified or replaced multiple times. A much simpler list would be to list what has been left alone, and not modified or replaced.
The Tilt Wheel, along with the original Keys with there knock outs are still there. The Headlight assembly's ( not the Lights or Paint). The interior surround around the rear Window, and the rear Glass itself. The Dash Pad itself. T-Top Moldings. Oddly enough I still have the original Motor Mounts Bolts.The Windshield Wiper Motor. The Master Cylinder. (not for long) . The front Spindles. The Vacuum Can. The Bird Cage.There are probably some tid bits here and there that I am forgetting about but that's about it.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I vote for Panic's and Bee Jay's.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:33 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Denpo
I vote for Panic's and Bee Jay's.
Those are nice but you need to be in that list too...

I find problems with this thread, there are a lot of people on this forum who have modded the heck out of their c3 and are in a tie situation in my mind what "modding" is is different to me as it is to a NCRS fellow as it is to the next guy, Modding a c3 to be a personal reflection a lot of this threads question is based in personal tastes and opinions.

Ever been to a car show where you know who will win not because his/her car deserves to win but because the owner rants high in the circle of people who decide the winner?
Ever seen a really sweet build only to have it ruined when the owner is an over the top chest thumping jerk about how his build is the end all to be all, perhaps in their mind it is but attitude can ruin a nice build too...yeah, I give points to humilty and modesty.

I simply do not see "most modded" as the car with the most $$$ dumped into it.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:23 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Those are nice but you need to be in that list too...
Well, only when it's roadworthy I dare to count myself in
Thanks tho.

I find problems with this thread, there are a lot of people on this forum who have modded the heck out of their c3 and are in a tie situation in my mind what "modding" is is different to me as it is to a NCRS fellow as it is to the next guy, Modding a c3 to be a personal reflection a lot of this threads question is based in personal tastes and opinions.

Ever been to a car show where you know who will win not because his/her car deserves to win but because the owner rants high in the circle of people who decide the winner?
Finally taking my car to a car show will be a accomplishment, no matter how ****** it is.
Ever seen a really sweet build only to have it ruined when the owner is an over the top chest thumping jerk about how his build is the end all to be all, perhaps in their mind it is but attitude can ruin a nice build too...yeah, I give points to humilty and modesty.

I simply do not see "most modded" as the car with the most $$$ dumped into it.
I do agree, it has more to do with being stubborn crazy rather than rich.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm trying to think what parts of mine havent been modified......I think the windshield and inner front fenders are stock.........well until I have finished the CF inner fenders I have plans for that is
Old 04-22-2015, 07:27 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Mods by the previous owners, that I can tell:
  • 4-bolt block from 1975
  • Unknown camshaft
  • Unknown heads (seriously, its a mystery)
  • Roller rockers / stud girdles
  • LT-1 intake manifold, unknown carb (its long gone)
  • Removed windshield wipers and motor
  • Aftermarket steering wheel
  • Aftermarket radio, bubba wiring
  • Aftermarket 15x8 steel wheels
  • Huge aftermarket tach (I removed it)
  • Headers and supertrapps, removed cat

What I've done since I bought it 2 years ago
  • Plasti-dip coat, probably peeling it off this summer
  • Shephers 3-core aluminum radiator
  • Homemade shroud using an aluminum baking sheet, syclone fan, temp switch to turn the fan on automatically
  • Holley 650 double pumper
  • Edelbrock Super Vic Intake
  • Put the original coolant reservoir back on
  • Complete set of Speedhut Gauges
  • Replaced crappy aftermarket steering wheel
  • Steeroids Rack & Pinion Kit
  • Street & Slalom Suspension Kit
  • Rebuilt rear end with replacement carrier
  • Strut bar
  • Replaced brake calipers, pads, and master cylinder
  • Vacuum tank and aux vacuum pump (in progress)
  • Scraped off the finish on the t-tops and put on some coats of bedliner
  • Ooga horn

Plus a longer list of things here and there I've had to fix...
Old 04-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

In the process of building a modern modified car what I consider the most difficult part is the Engineering challenges that spring up and the solutions and the workmanship to over come them. I consider this the deciding factor when I look at other peoples builds. When I went to SEMA there is an unlimited amount of Flash for the Cash. It was the Engineering that impressed me. I appreciate this as I have had my share of challenges in my build. But just the thought of installing a V12 in a C3 (and not a Falconer) and a modern electronic one from a manufacturer that has little or no support from the aftermarket is just mind boggling. Both Physical fitting it and the Electronics' conversion with no manual, Really. The solutions and craftsmanship to over come them being second to none. If there is going to be a vote for anybody here mine is with Richard 454.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:50 AM
0chase@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 48 Hour Corvette is mostly bolt-in, but still heavily modified from stock!

Check out the build recipe here:

http://www.ridetech.com/48hourcorvette/
Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 AM
0ridetechbret
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
I think Ridetech wins this contest with their 48HR Corvette.
It is an honor to be included [and then excluded?] in this discussion!

I don't think there will ever be a definitive answer to this question, but it will be fun trying to find out.

If modified is defined by number of variations from OEM, the 48 Hour Corvette might be in the running.

If it is defined by the amount of fabrication and custom "one off" parts involved...we probably wouldn't make the top 50. Our car is a collection of components that are designed specifically for the C2/C3.

This bodes well for all of us C2/C3 owners...the aftermarket is finally starting to acknowledge our existence. This means a Corvette will be easier than ever to build into a great hotrod, if not as GM designed it, surely as they intended it!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:25 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe I am looking from a different angle than what Gene meant when he started this thread.
I think Gene or Denpo, or Richard, or many others are more modified, than those cars that just have parts bolted on - many from "kits". Gene's home built rack & pinion is more of a "modification" to me than bolting on a Steeroids. Denpo's back window mod, is more to me than bolting on an aftermarket hood or front clip . Richard's V12 is way more than dropping in a crate motor.
To me, making the car unique, from a change is more of a modification than making a change that anyone and everyone can do.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
In the process of building a modern modified car what I consider the most difficult part is the Engineering challenges that spring up and the solutions and the workmanship to over come them. I consider this the deciding factor when I look at other peoples builds. When I went to SEMA there is an unlimited amount of Flash for the Cash. It was the Engineering that impressed me. I appreciate this as I have had my share of challenges in my build. But just the thought of installing a V12 in a C3 (and not a Falconer) and a modern electronic one from a manufacturer that has little or no support from the aftermarket is just mind boggling. Both Physical fitting it and the Electronics' conversion with no manual, Really. The solutions and craftsmanship to over come them being second to none. If there is going to be a vote for anybody here mine is with Richard 454.
If you look at Richard 454 build thread this build is crazy good. The attention to detail and custom one off everything puts it way ahead of the bolt on mods. The electrical mods alone qualify it let alone dropping a BMW V12 into it. Looking at the before and after pictures of the engine blows me away.

Last edited by 63mako; 04-23-2015 at 11:14 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To WHO here has the MOST modified C3..?

Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by 63mako
If you look at Richard 454 build thread this build is crazy good. The attention to detail and custom one off everything puts it way ahead of the bolt on mods. The electrical mods alone qualify it let alone dropping a BMW V12 into it. Looking at the before and after pictures of the engine blows me away.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
He computer flipped it.....

Yeh, I was thinking loosely of modified but tagged street cars, something modified for ***** out racing would probably not be legal to most cops....

Eh, as you can see on my site the car is pretty much nothing stock, I bought it in '95, it was an old show car in Md. just outside DC....I suspect the car has wicked flares on it at one time as it was a lime green metallic, but the flares cut back by second owner and car painted burgundy....the tail lights are '68 Olds, the headlights met an untimely death at the body of a damn deer back in '98 here in Florida, then when a Verizon truck backed into the front bumper, it was over for the burgundy paint that was about 20 some off years old, no more patching for it, so I did best I could and shot it green, and got a bit creative on the paint.....

'89 vette rims 275/50/17 rear 255/50/17 front, O ring pistons in SS calipers, hydroboost, aluminum m/cyl, lo profile later Camaro bulbs in front, smaller openings, custom grill, lights behind....late F body radiator, engine oil cooler for the trans, dual Spal fans, '89 4 bolt truck block, L98 heads, headers, LT1 induction, run with speed density computer, and stock HEI in back, needless to say the Manifold was highly modified, serp drive, rack/pinion steering by ME, before any kits hit the market 01-02 winter...., 200 4r trans for the overdrive to the 336 rear, hurst shifter rod, 8 ball on top for the COOL factor, custom center dash, white out the stock speedo/electronic tach, added power windows years ago, wrapped the stainless window header to assure no leaks in rainstorm, total custom HVAC etc control panel, red lights flicker in time to the firing order of the engine, A&B blue lights for the batch fire injection, SE light and FPump are green.....built in garage door opener, custom anti theft setup, dropped the rear seat tracks and left old foam in the seat bottom to effectively lower my seating position, added later shark TT wheel, with the 'illegal' Nader '77 vette chrome horn button/TT ring.....cut the lower firewall out the entire width, and up to the steering column height, pried it forward about 3", glassed it in, and cut/welded the brake pedal, and bent the gas pedal so to drop my knees off the wheel, I drive in the James Dean Slouch position, right elbow on the console pad, left hand over the wheel....suspension on both ends are VBP plastic 360 rear, 460 front coils, Billstein sport shocks.....VBP lower struts, along with spreader bar up front....higher amp alternator.....mini starter, headers, H pipe, Magnaflow SS muffs, no radio but has two speakers in back deck....cruise control....
car was a Muncie 4 speed, so cut/welded the cross support to allow removal of trans with ease.....exhaust is on the ground with just 6 bolts....HVAC is on permanent recirculation, it's a rag top, so who needs fresh air???

I think there is some other things, but I forget to remember......

Is that all?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Hey guys-

I really appreciate the nomination but I feel as I'm not worthy-a real honor to be placed in this group!!!

I feel my build is just something that was impressed upon me at a young age on a trip to the Smithsonian Museum.

On that visit I saw a paint stick- that a house painter had used for 40+ years. Each day- he stirred the paint- let it dry -and did that every day- till the paint stick had grown w/ the layers of pain, too large to fit in the paint can.

It made me realize- just a little each day- and look what you can end up with!!! So that's basis of my build- I try to do a least a little each day and hope that it will impress somebody one day!!!

THANKS agian!!!

Richard

Quick Reply: WHO here has the MOST modified C3..?