C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 Engine Build Tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts
Default 454 Engine Build Tips

Time for another project: A 454 rebuild.

I want to learn about the big block engines and how they differ from the 350s. My plan is to find a 454 somewhere (Long Block if possible), tear it down, and rebuild it. Objective is to see differences from the small blocks, and maybe have something to sell afterwards. I also hate to see old engines scrapped: I rather give them new life.

Any points to consider in this quest will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve
Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

For a more or less stock rebuild get Tom Wilson's 'Big Block Chevy Engines'. It doesn't go into many special high performance mods like deciding what cam or pistons to use, but there are lots of guys on the Forum who know their stuff and can advise accordingly. I used his book for my two rebuilds which are slightly modified and am really pleased with the results. Between Lars' papers on distributors and carbs and this book, it's tough to go wrong.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Wow moving onto a BB already. Did u get all the bugs out of your 383? I have seen a post on it lately.

Anyways if u have to replace the crank an upgrade to 4.25" stroker and 496" is just as much as a stock crank. If u need a rotating assembly try Flatlander racing: http://www.flatlanderracing.com/. Great pricing but watch shipping charges.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To 454 Engine Build Tips

Quick Reply: 454 Engine Build Tips