C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end sits too low...bottoms out

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:29 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Front end sits too low...bottoms out

Got this 71 vert (350 small block) from a PO who rebuilt the entire car for road gymkhana racing with 550 lb front springs and a 7 leaf rear. Is pretty much stripped out, no heat, manual trans, no AC etc.
Got 3/4 in bar in front none rear.

I need to raise the front to clear speed bumps and protect the exhaust and oil pan which sometimes scrape. The pan is a deep road race 7 qt thing and exhaust is hooker long tube headers.

Any advice on which ones might work with the rear? The ride is also really bad, just want a nice handling driver.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:20 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Got this 71 vert (350 small block) from a PO who rebuilt the entire car for road gymkhana racing with 550 lb front springs and a 7 leaf rear. Is pretty much stripped out, no heat, manual trans, no AC etc.
Got 3/4 in bar in front none rear.

I need to raise the front to clear speed bumps and protect the exhaust and oil pan which sometimes scrape. The pan is a deep road race 7 qt thing and exhaust is hooker long tube headers.

Any advice on which ones might work with the rear? The ride is also really bad, just want a nice handling driver.

GM used to sell air conditioning spacers that went under the front springs, they may still be available. that and shorter bolts in the back might get the job done or just change front & rear springs
Old 04-26-2015, 06:28 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvetracr
GM used to sell air conditioning spacers that went under the front springs, they may still be available. that and shorter bolts in the back might get the job done or just change front & rear springs
I was considering using spacers; will look for a source. The springs are so short that they are loose in the pocket when on the lift! The rear sits high now and I don't want to raise it.
Also looking for "touring" springs or equivalent to gain like 1-1.5 inch. Ride is really harsh now.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:40 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Front coil overs?

Choose the spring rate you want and adjust to the height you need.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:36 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

If the springs are loose in the pocket when on the lift it sounds like they have been cut making your situation even worse. Spacers will improve the ride height but it will still be a hard ride. I found the 430 - 460lb front springs were a good compromise for the bumpy roads here. The original std front springs were under 300lb but had more coils so I guess a more progressive action than the aftermarket ones. The shorter aftermarket ones are a lot easier to remove and refit too.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:35 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i have 550 front springs cut 3/4 of a coil a milodon seven quart pan and side mount headers and have no issue with speed bumps etc, however i go over them a bit slow. a spacer may be a good option.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:30 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Haggisbash
If the springs are loose in the pocket when on the lift it sounds like they have been cut making your situation even worse. Spacers will improve the ride height but it will still be a hard ride. I found the 430 - 460lb front springs were a good compromise for the bumpy roads here. The original std front springs were under 300lb but had more coils so I guess a more progressive action than the aftermarket ones. The shorter aftermarket ones are a lot easier to remove and refit too.
Thanks, maybe they are cut!!! The roads here are flat smooth but I still don't want a car that rides this way and risks severe damage. My plan will be to use the "touring" springs like 460 lb.

How much did your new ones affect the ride height? Anybody have part numbers for these avail locally?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
Thanks, maybe they are cut!!! The roads here are flat smooth but I still don't want a car that rides this way and risks severe damage. My plan will be to use the "touring" springs like 460 lb.

How much did your new ones affect the ride height? Anybody have part numbers for these avail locally?
Someone correct me.....but I think the correct base replacement springs are 330/360 lbs. and close to 14" tall "out of the box". I had to cut some off mine to get 1 & 1/2" of clearance between the top of the 225/70/15 tire and the fender lip)
Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Default New Springs

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...ront%20springs

At $50 new springs are easy to install. Forget shins, if your car is low and bottoms out just replace with new. They have a shorter free height which makes for easy installation.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by mikep3

At $50 new springs are easy to install. Forget shins, if your car is low and bottoms out just replace with new. They have a shorter free height which makes for easy installation.

You can always cut one coil off if the new springs are too high.....but you MUST drive the car for several days before cutting a coil so the new springs can settle into position and adjust to the weight of the car!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:45 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikep3

I checked the specs:
Moog 5758 HD 474 lb w/o ac
Moog 5762 HD 474 lb w/ac

Sounds like correct plan, thanks to all

Get notified of new replies

To Front end sits too low...bottoms out

Quick Reply: Front end sits too low...bottoms out