C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lack of Road Feel after R/P install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default lack of Road Feel after R/P install

Hey guys. I installed a Flaming River R/P in my '79 earlier in the fall and noted that while the steering has improved greatly, my return to center was lacking and there was no road feel to the steering, like the wheels were off the ground. I installed offset upper A arm shafts, (had the slotted before install). I can now achieve 5* Caster and .25* neg camber, wheels tipped in at the top, with maybe 1/6* toe-in. Now my return to center is a little better but not much and still no road feel. Is it possible that the P/s pump is delivering too much pressure to the R/P? Has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it. or do I just have to get use to it?
Thanks in advance.
Clyde
Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 AM
cboyd
Racer

Old 04-30-2015, 11:00 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Wonder if something in the rack is binding? With 5 dgr of caster it should absolutely return to center if you let go of the wheel.

The level of assist is not determined by the pump. There are valves inside the rack that set the assist.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

what size wheels/tires and what cold air pressure setting?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by zwede
Wonder if something in the rack is binding? With 5 dgr of caster it should absolutely return to center if you let go of the wheel.

The level of assist is not determined by the pump. There are valves inside the rack that set the assist.
eeemmmmh. It doesn't appear to be, I will jack it up and see how freely I can turn the wheels back and forth from the wheels, not the steering wheel. I agree, getting 5* caster was difficult, but i thought for sure it would solve my return to center issue.
It feels pretty free with the wheels of the ground and turning from the steering wheel.
Guess those valves inside the R/P are preset.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by MelWff
what size wheels/tires and what cold air pressure setting?
It is stock tires. 255/60/r15. Cold tire pressure around 32 psi.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:04 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

No mention of other Mods. Are You running the stock PS Pump ? If You have installed a LS based Engine and running a Gen II PS Pump its got to much Flow and makes the Rack feel like a Lincoln Continental. There is a reduced Flow Pump made for this issue. The same rack can be used as a Manual Steering system. Just disconnect the Pump and see how it drives with out.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
No mention of other Mods. Are You running the stock PS Pump ? If You have installed a LS based Engine and running a Gen II PS Pump its got to much Flow and makes the Rack feel like a Lincoln Continental. There is a reduced Flow Pump made for this issue. The same rack can be used as a Manual Steering system. Just disconnect the Pump and see how it drives with out.
Small block 383, stock p/s pump. I read here some time ago about one of our members researching an adjustable flow control valve for this purpose, but couldn't find the thread. It does appear that a lot of members have the same issue after installing the r/p system. just wondering if they have found a inexpensive solution or are just living with it.

Get notified of new replies

To lack of Road Feel after R/P install

Quick Reply: lack of Road Feel after R/P install