C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c3 78 new muffler install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:54 AM
ajmiceli22
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c3 78 new muffler install

Looking to replace my stock mufflers with new Magnaflows or Flow Masters. Will i be able to slide the stock muffler from the existing pipe easily? After 37 years it looks like they will not come out too easily. Any tricks to achieve this? Or would it just be easier to replace the exhaust system from the cat back with a new one?
Thanks in advance for the feedback
Old 05-04-2015, 05:22 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmiceli22
Looking to replace my stock mufflers with new Magnaflows or Flow Masters. Will i be able to slide the stock muffler from the existing pipe easily? After 37 years it looks like they will not come out too easily. Any tricks to achieve this? Or would it just be easier to replace the exhaust system from the cat back with a new one?
Thanks in advance for the feedback
Depending on whether your 78 is an L48 or L82, the pipe size is 2 1/2 or 2 inch so you will need to know what size the input pipe size is on the mufflers. Note that currently your exhaust (if stock) narrows into an extension pipe that directs exhaust through the catalytic converter before exiting into the two mufflers. If your vehicle must pass an annual smog test, you may need to retain some semblance of an exhaust emission control system to pass the test.

Also note that the current (original) pipe assembly is not welded but fitted and secured with clamps. Given some effort it can be disassembled.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:56 PM
ajmiceli22
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. My 78 is an L48 so is that 2 inch on the input pipe?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 PM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmiceli22
thanks for the info. My 78 is an L48 so is that 2 inch on the input pipe?
yep!

Get notified of new replies

To c3 78 new muffler install

Quick Reply: c3 78 new muffler install