C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter or run stock? th400

Old 05-06-2015, 10:55 PM
S**ttersFull
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Torque converter or run stock? th400

Purchasing a 43 Convertible. Stock vehicle with sub 200hp. Having original engine rebuilt and modified to 400 tq/hp. Has original stock th400 transmission in good working condition.

Should I consider a better torque converter for the transmission? Or will the stock converter do fine? I intend to be doing 0-60 races at shorts strips and not anything serious like drag racing.

Not wanting to spend a boat load of cash here.. Wisdom would say rebuild or replace the entire transmission, but it's apparently in good working order according to the owner(a member here) and I'm of the mind "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

Any opinions or advice are welcome.

Last edited by S**ttersFull; 05-06-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Converter selection depends on lots of factors, like cam, rear gear etc. Talk to your engine builder. I've used a B+M 2400 Holeshot with good results with a combo like yours.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:40 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i had FTI build me a custom unit , drag radials took care of my traction issues that i had before the convertor went in. very worthwhile mod.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:52 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I would definitely put a mild converter in it. FTI and PTC are both great companies, if your are on a tighter budget, maybe look at the Hughes GM25 converter. It's a fairly tight 11" that is rated at 2500 rpm stall. I would even put this behind a stock 454 to help it get out of its own way from a dead stop. This is a $300 converter that is pretty efficient.

FTI can build a much more aggressive converter that will drive great around town and knock half second off your 1/4 mile ET but... Prepare to pay $600+

Make sure you put a trans cooler on with ANY stall converter.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

It is so easy to change the converter out when the engine and transmission are separated that IMO it is silly not to put in an upgraded unit. I put a 3,200 stall converter in my old '94 camaro when I had to pull the tranny and I had NO regrets...

...until it came time to sell it. It was much harder to sell to people not in the area who couldn't drive it to see what it was like.

It was really, really fun, though.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:08 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

The correct way to replace a torque converter requires you also change the pump bushing and once you have the pump off it would be silly not to open the rest up for inspection.

I suggest you decide on what budget you have to work with and make the decision , sub or 400 hp would be fine with a stock converter IMOP ..
Old 05-08-2015, 01:26 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

No reason to change a bushing in a good working/low mileage transmission.. Not a bad idea to change the front seal while you're doing the converter but no need for the bushing...unless the old converter appears to have excessive wear on the snout or something abnormal.

Put a quart of fluid in the new converter, install it correctly into the pump and get it running. Put on a good stacked plate style trans cooler.

Any car, even a completely stock 350, will gain some performance with a properly matched stall speed converter... You can shed a ton of spinning weight going to an 11" converter from a stock 13".. Less weight, more power to the tires.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:34 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Very good points! My higher stall converter was much smaller in diameter.

The higher stall can create more heat in the trans fluid, hence the recommendation for a quality trans fluid cooler.

I'm convinced that having a lock-up converter helps reduce temperature as well, not sure if thats an option for you.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 AM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
I would definitely put a mild converter in it. FTI and PTC are both great companies, if your are on a tighter budget, maybe look at the Hughes GM25 converter. It's a fairly tight 11" that is rated at 2500 rpm stall. I would even put this behind a stock 454 to help it get out of its own way from a dead stop. This is a $300 converter that is pretty efficient.

FTI can build a much more aggressive converter that will drive great around town and knock half second off your 1/4 mile ET but... Prepare to pay $600+

Make sure you put a trans cooler on with ANY stall converter.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:37 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

2 points

I can be called a tranny guy .. I ran a few shops that specialized in only trannys.

Every front pump seal leak is excessive bushing were. No exceptions. Every bushing is akin to a crank bearing , you would not change a crank and re-use the bearings .

Every T/C will leave its foot print on the pumps bushing and when you trade in a new converter you always replace the bushing and seal or else you will be pulling that unit back out sooner or later for a front seal leak.

Last point , I would use stock stall because as he stated originally he is not going to drag race the car and I bet he will drive it more like a daily driver then anything else.

Not trying to get into a debate or argument .. You can do any job a few different ways , People use old lifters on a new cam .. Old races on new bearings and claim it is fine .. Maybe it is .. I sorta doubt it though. Nothing beats doing a job thoroughly and correctly the first time..

Get notified of new replies

To Torque converter or run stock? th400

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque converter or run stock? th400