C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 10:56 AM
ruckus215
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering

On my 79 corvette from my uncle. He said I need to replace the power steering box when he gave it to me. He was 80 years old when he gave it to me. So I wonder if that is all. Because it has no power steering . If so can someone please send me a link of what I need to buy.
Thanks
Old 05-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ruckus215
On my 79 corvette from my uncle. He said I need to replace the power steering box when he gave it to me. He was 80 years old when he gave it to me. So I wonder if that is all. Because it has no power steering . If so can someone please send me a link of what I need to buy.
Thanks
First, all 1979 Corvettes came with power steering as original equipment. So if the power assist is not working, then there is a component(s) that need to be rebuilt or replaced. Or it could be something as simple as the belt that spins the power steer pump pulley could be missing.

With the standard type of Corvette power steering (called a linkage booster type system) the steering gear is actually a manual steering gear. The power assist comes from a power steering pump, a special valve, and a booster cylinder attached to the linkage.

Most major Corvette suppliers have entire kits that you can purchase to install a power steering system but that should not be your case.

Jim
Old 05-07-2015, 04:20 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 543 Posts

Look under left side of the engine and you should see a power steering pump with 2 hoses and a fan belt. If the fan belt is loose or missing, that's where to start. It it's there, check the fluid level ( OK, do that first). If that's OK then you need to go further into it, but those are the places I would start. Maybe it is the steering box, but It might be something simple. Maybe his last mechanic was telling him it was the box to take advantage of him when that wasn't the problem. Good luck with your new toy and when you get the steering fixed, take your uncle out for a ride.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I Google c3 power steering and found this. It should be a good starting point. You need to see if it is a missing or loose belt, low oil level in the ps pump. If that stuff is good then you may have a problem with the pump, control valve or cylinder.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.eXY&cad=rjt

Good luck, Mike

Get notified of new replies

To power steering

Quick Reply: power steering