C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil filter stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:11 PM
allena
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter stuff

Greetings

I put a pf454 oil filter on my 75, and I see room for a longer one to use.

What is a good longer filter that would fit? Brand and part number.

Thanx

A
Old 05-08-2015, 10:43 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pickup truck filter for the Chevy V8s is an AC PF-35 or PF-1218. The very long medium truck filter is a NAPA 1794, which will NOT fit if you are running headers.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I use NAPA Gold #1061.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Mpls Funk
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I have been led to believe that WIX brand filters are superior. I just installed the first one on my car. I'm sorry I don't have specific model numbers for longer ones. the best part was the WIX one was less expensive than the other brands I had been using!
Old 05-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpls Funk
I have been led to believe that WIX brand filters are superior. I just installed the first one on my car. I'm sorry I don't have specific model numbers for longer ones. the best part was the WIX one was less expensive than the other brands I had been using!
NAPA Gold is Wix.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:40 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i was using the truck filter for years in any big block or small block chevy the extra oil capacity was reassuring. i now have a 7 quart Milodon pan and the little kickout won't allow that long a filter. i now use the Wix racing filter as the case is substantially beefier which works with the higher oil pressure i run. i agree on the truck filter and Wix. i liked the hastings filters years ago but haven't seen or heard of them in over a decade. donaldson also made a good filter but not sure they are around either.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

But why do you want the larger filter? GM put them on trucks for towing. Look at any new car and the filters are tiny, because that's all the capacity that is needed. Unless you plan on going 10K miles between oil changes or towing a horse trailer, what's the benefit?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:19 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
But why do you want the larger filter? GM put them on trucks for towing. Look at any new car and the filters are tiny, because that's all the capacity that is needed. Unless you plan on going 10K miles between oil changes or towing a horse trailer, what's the benefit?
My guess would be that the larger surface area of a larger filter will do two things for you.
First it will provide a greater surface area for the oil to pass through during normal operation allowing for greater filtering ability before the bypass valve is forced open at which point none of the oil passing through the bypass is getting filtered.
Second due to the greater surface area more contaminate could be stopped over time before it forces bypassing at ever lower and lower flow rates.
However too big could be an issue if the oil filter becomes the low point under your car and subject to damage by debris passing under the car.

I use the the Fram HP4 filter for it's ability to pass oil at a high rate and still provide enough filtering to prevent engine damage. It is larger than the normally speced filter but smaller than a large truck filter which I feel hangs too low.
Normally I don't run Fram at all and use Wix only.
The HP series however are very well built as opposed their normal line of filters.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:41 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

it like buying a condom, you may not need it but it provides insurance about unplanned things happening.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:16 PM
zwede
Race Director

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
My guess would be that the larger surface area of a larger filter will do two things for you.
First it will provide a greater surface area for the oil to pass through during normal operation allowing for greater filtering ability before the bypass valve is forced open at which point none of the oil passing through the bypass is getting filtered.
Second due to the greater surface area more contaminate could be stopped over time before it forces bypassing at ever lower and lower flow rates.
Valid reasons if you run cheap oil and change it every time we have a new president. <-- Just a joke.

However too big could be an issue if the oil filter becomes the low point under your car and subject to damage by debris passing under the car.
It will also run closer to the exhaust which can increase oil temps. Not good.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, just questioning the common belief that we need to run huge filters. After seeing the size of filters modern performance cars run my eyes were opened. Quality filters of today do not need large filter media area to flow well. No need to worry that the bypass will open.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:21 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

At least some of the difference is that newer cars pollute the oil less due to fuel injection systems and better ring seal.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:29 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

the big filter is not as deep as the bottom of the pan if you wiped out anything the pan would go first. the heat is no greater with the big filter than the small one. if for some reason you should run low on oil you have an extra quart still there. if you don't see the need for it , don't use it. if they use a weenie little filter on a prius or a shelby mustang it doesn't matter they are designed differently. everybody makes their own choices in what they think is best for their car, i happen to think more oil capacity and more filter is cheap insurance. if you want to use the short filter thats fine, there isn't anything wrong with it. i run my cars hard but i treat them well. when i drive my Corvette ill do a hundred m.p.h on the entrance ramp so i like having a big pan with plenty of oil and a good filter.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:22 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

No need to worry that the bypass will open.
I'm willing to bet that every time you start the engine cold the oil is bypassing the filter to varying degrees. How much will be dependent on the filter media micron size, the amount (surface area) of filter media, the viscosity of the oil, the flow of the pump, idle rpm, etc.
Finer media with less surface area is going to provide a greater restriction to flow through the media. That restriction to flow has to be relieved or the media will rupture providing little to no filtering after that, hence the bypass valve.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 AM
zwede
Race Director

Maybe if you run a straight 50 weight oil. I run 0W-40. It flows great when cold.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i liked the hastings filters years ago but haven't seen or heard of them in over a decade. donaldson also made a good filter but not sure they are around either.
Hastings is still around. I don't know where to get their filters over the counter, and I don't know if their web site will tell you, but at least some of their line is available via Amazon.

Steve

Last edited by SI67; 05-10-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

thanks, i didn't think of amazon. i will check it out.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:15 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
thanks, i didn't think of amazon. i will check it out.
You're welcome. Same applies to Donaldson, by the way.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To oil filter stuff

Old 05-11-2015, 02:39 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Maybe if you run a straight 50 weight oil. I run 0W-40. It flows great when cold.

This is another reason that new cars use tiny filters...very thin oil for improved fuel economy and HP.

No need to run thick oil if you bearing clearances are tight!
Old 05-11-2015, 02:56 PM
1Fordman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you have the stock oil pan use the Wix 51061 one quart and 51794 for the 2 quart oil filter.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Taken from "Bob's the oil guy" forum. An interesting read

The Bypass Valve

Under ideal conditions, the bypass valve will never open. When it opens, the oil by passes the filter and goes on through to the motor, obviously unfiltered. It is a safety valve. However, in real operation, it opens often.

One example is when you start the motor when cold. The oil is thick and does not pass easily through the filtration medium, thus building up to a high pressure drop. So, the bypass valve opens to prevent oil-starvation of the motor. How long it stays open is dependent on how cold the oil is and how long it takes to get near operating temperature. When the pressure drop across the filtration medium drops below the bypass valve setting.

Another example can occur when the motor is fully warmed. At idle, the oil pressure is about 15 to 20 psi, and the pressure drop across the filter is about 1 or 2 psi. You take off towards the redline, and quickly build oil pressure. During that full-throttle acceleration the pressure drop across the filter will exceed the bypass setting, and send unfiltered oil to the motor, until the pressure across the filter has time to equalize. During a drag race, shifting through the gears, the bypass will open several times.

A third example, which you should never experience with frequent oil and filter changes, is when a filter becomes clogged. A spin-on filter can commonly hold 10 to 20 grams of trash before it becomes fully clogged. The bypass valve opening is the only way to keep the motor from becoming oil-starved if the filter becomes clogged.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=309756

Another interesting bit of reading, not from a forum.
There are two conditions that will cause the by-pass valve to open:

Engine Starts - When the engine is started and the oil is cold.
Cold oil does not flow through the filter element as freely as
when it is warm. This causes the pressure differential across
the filter element to increase and the by-pass valve to open.

The by-pass valve will close once the oil is warm and the
pressure differential across the filter element drops below the
by-pass valve pressure setting.

Plugged Filter – A filter will become plugged if the oil is
contaminated, or the filter is not serviced according to the
maintenance schedule. Once the filter becomes plugged, the
by-pass valve will remain open. This allows unfiltered oil to
lubricate the engine components, preventing engine damage
from oil starvation.

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/TechTips201409.html

Last edited by REELAV8R; 05-11-2015 at 04:13 PM.

Quick Reply: oil filter stuff