C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear splash shield bond

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rear splash shield bond

how is the rear splash shield bonded to the rear quarter?It looks like a sticky gasket that is no longer bonding.73 coupe
Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Z,
When the new body was introduced in 68 the rear wheel apron was bonded to the quarter panel along it's entire length with the normal bond material used in assembling the body.
It was discovered that after a short time this vertical bond 'line' could be seen from the OUTSIDE of the quarter panel under certain light conditions and at certain angles.
So the assembling method was changed… a couple of inches of bond was used at the top near the bonding strip and about six inches at the very bottom of the apron. The middle was left open.
A bead of black #188 sealer was applied on the apron's flange between the the two areas of bond material before the bond was made.
This black sealer is generally quite hard now so I don't know why what you're seeing is soft….. unless something changed after 71 and an actual gasket of some type was used.
All this is illustrated in the AIM.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-11-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:58 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes Alan it says #188.couldn't find what it was anywhere.So its bonded at top and bottom and the 188 sealant is in the middle?It was hard but when I was scraping it off it was nothing like a bonded seam.That explains it.The bottom broke free and it was flapping a bit.Where do I find this 188 sealant?Thanks.p.s. it was a nice heavy bead to fill the space.

Get notified of new replies

To rear splash shield bond

Quick Reply: rear splash shield bond