C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM
rrkriete
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ethanol

I have a 1978 L-82 and would like to know if ethanol is a threat to my engine. Thank you.

Richard
Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Not directly. Ethanol does has corrosive properties that may or may not be compatible with the rubber components of your fuel system. The accelerator pump in the carb would probably be the first victim. ethanol can slowly eat away the inside of the fuel hoses if they are not ethanol resistant, ie original equipment. If you've been running it and have not encountered any problems with your accelerator pump then it should be good to go.
Ethanol if left to sit for extended periods (greater than three months) will collect moisture and can go through phase separation in which case water and ethanol will rest/settle in the bottom of the tank or carb and corrode those surfaces slowly over time.
Using gas with ethanol may require a slightly richer fuel mixture if your close to lean currently.
Many people run it without significant issues. I avoid it in my Corvette. No problems with modern vehicles. If I store a vehicle for a period of time I do so without ethanol fuel in the tank.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:44 PM
DABall
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed a new Holley spreadbore carb in 2008 and had to replace all seals and accelerator pump last year. The ethanol ate the carb for lunch! I have been running non-ethanol gas ever since with no problems.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:04 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

what percentage level ethanol are we referring to, at 10% I have not seen any problems.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:32 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
what percentage level ethanol are we referring to, at 10% I have not seen any problems.
Some years ago, I went to a hose supply house for some FI hose, really wanted some with mesh wrap around it, going from line on frame, up/over headers to FI input rail.... it was supposed to be good for ethanol, I suspect NOT, as it lasted a few short years maybe 3.....and started weeping/smelling up the garage....wife noticed it first....and so to the parts house and got what APPEARS/FEELS like ordinary hose, but in fact is for FI and ethanol rated, RED printing on it.... just no mesh wrapping....on there for some time now, not an issue.....so far....

Get notified of new replies

To ethanol

Quick Reply: ethanol