C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400 short block - options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 400 short block - options?

Just last week I picked up a '74 that has a 400 short block swapped in for the stock 350. I can't find all that much info about the 400 other than GM used it primarily on light and medium duty pick-ups. I also tried searching the forums to see if anyone else had a 400 short block to no avail.

Does anyone have a 400 short block? Is there anything performance wise I can do with the engine or would it be better to hold and swap in a 383 down the road? I appreciate any help/opinions/advice!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:28 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

A short block is nothing more than an engine before the heads and intake have been bolted to it.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bashcraft
A short block is nothing more than an engine before the heads and intake have been bolted to it.
My understanding is that for the 400 short blocks, Chevy had to put steam holes to reduce hot spots. It's specific items like this that have me looking for more info, what I could do with the engine, and if there are other things I should be aware of.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJStingray
My understanding is that for the 400 short blocks, Chevy had to put steam holes to reduce hot spots. It's specific items like this that have me looking for more info, what I could do with the engine, and if there are other things I should be aware of.
You don't have a short block, you have a complete engine, correct?

Are you going to replace the heads? If so, you can have the new heads drilled, though it's debatable whether or not that's even necessary.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:18 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bashcraft
You don't have a short block, you have a complete engine, correct?

Are you going to replace the heads? If so, you can have the new heads drilled, though it's debatable whether or not that's even necessary.
Ahhh, I see the confusion now! Sorry, yes - I should have clarified - I have a complete engine in my C3 currently and it is running. I just know it is not the stock 350 that was in it originally.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure what I can/can't do with the 400 (the 350 is obviously well documented here) and altering an engine is new to me (my mechanical experience has been limited to troubleshooting/fixing existing set-ups on more modern vehicles).
Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

A 400 only has a longer stroke and a bigger bore, so most anything that can be done to a 350, can also be done to a 400.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:36 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Ahhh, I see the confusion now! Sorry, yes - I should have clarified - I have a complete engine in my C3 currently and it is running. I just know it is not the stock 350 that was in it originally.

To answer your second question, I'm not sure what I can/can't do with the 400 (the 350 is obviously well documented here) and altering an engine is new to me (my mechanical experience has been limited to troubleshooting/fixing existing set-ups on more modern vehicles).

You'd want to have good documentation of what's been done to the block and bottom end to know what you can get away with doing for more power. With out knowING at least wall thickness and information about the eternal it's a crap shoot. There was a thread not to long ago were a forum member put some money into a used 400" short block that made 500 miles before it exploded.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:40 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a sb400 on the stand now and have had a few over the years. They run good but in stock form, they have no compression = no power. So if you are looking for a strong runner, start with a good set of heads since you have a short block. The heads must have the stream holes drilled if they are not present! The bottom ends are very strong up to 6000rpm. After that ARP studs are needed on the mains. Forged Pistons are advised.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:53 AM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by hugie82
I have a sb400 on the stand now and have had a few over the years. They run good but in stock form, they have no compression = no power. So if you are looking for a strong runner, start with a good set of heads since you have a short block. The heads must have the stream holes drilled if they are not present! The bottom ends are very strong up to 6000rpm. After that ARP studs are needed on the mains. Forged Pistons are advised.
Ah! Now that's some great info! Any heads you would recommend?

Also, I see you're from Bridgewater, NJ...I'm just 10mi down 78W in Clinton, Twp near the Round Valley Reservoir.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:11 PM
ShadowLands
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about any aftermarket head will have the appropriate steam holes present for your block. Edelbrock, Air Flow Research, Dart, World Products, etc, etc, etc. You need to establish your goals for the engine/car in order to decide which heads will be a good fit for the application. Then you can pick and choose based on your parameters and price.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:23 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Just last week I picked up a '74 that has a 400 short block swapped in for the stock 350. I can't find all that much info about the 400 other than GM used it primarily on light and medium duty pick-ups. I also tried searching the forums to see if anyone else had a 400 short block to no avail.

Does anyone have a 400 short block? Is there anything performance wise I can do with the engine or would it be better to hold and swap in a 383 down the road? I appreciate any help/opinions/advice!
I have been running a 400 for years and have learned a bit along the way. They are great power makers,...and heart breakers. Depending on the level of power you are after will dictate how often the heart breaks come.

If I were you, and the car is running OK now, I'd leave it well enough alone. Spend some time fixing other items first, then when you really want to raise the bar.....get into the 400.

FWIW....Mine runs about 540 hp, and has cost me three transmissions, two rears, required upgraded cooling and fuel systems. It runs like a Swiss watch to 7000 rpms now.....But the whole time I was sitting on worn out seats and driving with no radio.....If I could turn back the hands of time,....I would have done the interior, radio, etc .....first.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 05-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Main advantage of a 400 block is the siamesed cylinders(which is the reason for the steam holes as well), because of the siamesed cylinders they can handle more bore. Keep in mind that they also have a larger main journal diameter than a 350.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

Also, I see you're from Bridgewater, NJ...I'm just 10mi down 78W in Clinton, Twp near the Round Valley Reservoir.
I'm even closer to you, in Lebanon Township (not Borough) near Califon.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:16 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check to see exactly what you have, because you didn't do the work. An original 400 will have a place for 3 freeze plugs on each side of the block. A regular SBC has only 2. So if it is a regular bock, they may have used a stroker crank to up the displacement to "400". If it is an original 400, they are a little different in that they are externally balanced and use special flywheels/flexplates. They are good engines, I ran one for years. 350 or other heads can be drilled with 6 small holes to match up with the 400 block. Good Luck
Old 05-19-2015, 08:40 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I built a 406 (the 400, bored .030 over) for my camaro...

Great runner...I used a stock cast crank, with Scat forged rods and Speed pro Hyper pistons...Couple with Dart Iron Eagle heads (64cc chamber, and 200cc intake runners), made for a 10.03:1 compression ratio. Put a comp cams hydraulic retro roller kit in it (K12-432-8), and according to desktop dyno (have not had it on an actual dyne), shoudl make around 460 HP and 515ft/lbs...

Bottom line is--the 400 is a great motor, if you build it right.

as an aside, I did have my heads drilled for steam holes--likely did not need to, but I did it for peace of mind--I'm a believer in "If GM did it..."
Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Many a Station Wagon came with 400's in them as well. 25 or was that 30 years ago the 400's were the rage for performance engine builds. To the point where junkyards were running out of used 400 blocks to build. This shortage could even be in some small part one of the factors the 383 was born. Put a 400 Crank in a 350 block and You have a 383. A lot of people were afraid of the 400 blocks with there Siamesed Cylinder Bores. Overheating, Blown Gaskets, Shifted Cores and weak Cylinder Bores were the concerns. People who knew Small Block Chevys couldn't deal with the differences of a 400. In addition to the above a larger Main Bearing diameter, externally balanced Crank, Steam Holes, short Rods ... However using the rule of there is no better substitute for cubic inches, the 400 still makes an excellent platform to build. The larger Bore un shrouds the Valves making more HP, the longer stroke makes more Torque.
The Blocks came in 2 and 4 bolt Main. Most Cranks were Cast. They make great Mild Street engines.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 PM
NJStingray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The Money Pit

I have been running a 400 for years and have learned a bit along the way. They are great power makers,...and heart breakers. Depending on the level of power you are after will dictate how often the heart breaks come.

If I were you, and the car is running OK now, I'd leave it well enough alone. Spend some time fixing other items first, then when you really want to raise the bar.....get into the 400.

FWIW....Mine runs about 540 hp, and has cost me three transmissions, two rears, required upgraded cooling and fuel systems. It runs like a Swiss watch to 7000 rpms now.....But the whole time I was sitting on worn out seats and driving with no radio.....If I could turn back the hands of time,....I would have done the interior, radio, etc .....first.
Right now that's the plan of attack. I'm just looking for info so that, when I get to this point, I know what I'm in for and whether it would be better to ditch the 400 or modify it.

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
I'm even closer to you, in Lebanon Township (not Borough) near Califon.
I actually live in Lebanon Borough...not far at all. The boro is so small I'd easily know if there was another C3 residing in it

Originally Posted by 74modified
I would check to see exactly what you have, because you didn't do the work. An original 400 will have a place for 3 freeze plugs on each side of the block. A regular SBC has only 2. So if it is a regular bock, they may have used a stroker crank to up the displacement to "400". If it is an original 400, they are a little different in that they are externally balanced and use special flywheels/flexplates. They are good engines, I ran one for years. 350 or other heads can be drilled with 6 small holes to match up with the 400 block. Good Luck
Thanks. My initial goal would be to add a little more "oomph" to it but am not looking for a monster 500+HP or anything.

Originally Posted by keithl1967
I built a 406 (the 400, bored .030 over) for my camaro...

Great runner...I used a stock cast crank, with Scat forged rods and Speed pro Hyper pistons...Couple with Dart Iron Eagle heads (64cc chamber, and 200cc intake runners), made for a 10.03:1 compression ratio. Put a comp cams hydraulic retro roller kit in it (K12-432-8), and according to desktop dyno (have not had it on an actual dyne), shoudl make around 460 HP and 515ft/lbs...

Bottom line is--the 400 is a great motor, if you build it right.

as an aside, I did have my heads drilled for steam holes--likely did not need to, but I did it for peace of mind--I'm a believer in "If GM did it..."
I'm assuming you also put a different trans in with that kind of power and torque?

Get notified of new replies

To 400 short block - options?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:09 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Read this thread. I'm not saying your 400" is in bad shape, but you might want to spend the extra time and money to have it checked out.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...24-400-ci.html
Old 05-20-2015, 03:54 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I put together a 427SBC out of a 400 block. Used 6" rods, fully forged rotating mass, with a roller valve train. It's a torque monster, even with 3.08 rear gears it smokes the tires. Now the 9-car has a decent engine in it as in comparison to the anemic L-48 that it came with that had a hard time getting out of its own way. T
Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Early 400's only had 2 core plugs on each side, my "509"casting being one.
Tear it down and have the block sonic checked and magged before you decide what you're going to do with it. Don't buy heads, etc. - anything - until you're sure you have a block worth working with.

Quick Reply: 400 short block - options?