C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mallory HEI and starting trouble after 4 months of sitting in the garage - Just FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:01 PM
jackwabbit703
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mallory HEI and starting trouble after 4 months of sitting in the garage - Just FYI

I could not get my my vette started this morning. It was getting fuel, engine kept turning and turning with no fire. I did not flood the carb (checked the plugs - no gas smell or no gas smell from the primary.

I checked the voltage on my battery (12.4V), I checked the Mallory HEI Iginition voltage reguirements and it sure states that it's 10 to 12V to fire up (it was at 11.2V)

I did not check voltage of battery under load. Since I've failed to start the motor, I hooked it up on a battery trickle charger for 8 hours. After 8 hours of charging, my battery voltage reading was 13.3V and HEI distributor was a at 12.2V. I gave it a another try and it fired-up immediately.

Just FYI in case someone runs into this same issue with Mallory HEI's.

Quick Reply: Mallory HEI and starting trouble after 4 months of sitting in the garage - Just FYI