C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who else is spending memorial day weekend installing side pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:39 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Default Who else is spending memorial day weekend installing side pipes?

I think there are a few folks on the forum who recently bought pipes, I'm hoping to have mine in by the time the weekend is done. I have a few "while i have it apart" tasks to slip in.

It took me over an hour to remove the side moldings, I didn't expect most of the screws to be stuck in place requiring the drill

Name:  Y2bbxhql.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  ldkZV6hl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  y6i1eKPl.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  55.7 KB
Name:  RcWg90el.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  60.0 KB

I took a sawzall and cut-off wheel to the original pipe. Getting the clutch z-bar out along with the oil pressure sending unit wasnt a big deal. The dipstick needed to be removed. I was kicking myself for not removing the spark plugs before unbolting the header. That made it more difficult than it should have been.

Tomorrow I'll pull the passenger side and do some other items on my to-do list. Hopefully I'll have the headers bolted on by the end of the day.

Having headers already on the car should make the job easier than it would be if it were all stock. Someone already put on a different alternator bracket and finagled a way for the a/c compressor to mount up.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 AM
zee66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sidepipes

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I think there are a few folks on the forum who recently bought pipes, I'm hoping to have mine in by the time the weekend is done. I have a few "while i have it apart" tasks to slip in.

It took me over an hour to remove the side moldings, I didn't expect most of the screws to be stuck in place requiring the drill

I took a sawzall and cut-off wheel to the original pipe. Getting the clutch z-bar out along with the oil pressure sending unit wasnt a big deal. The dipstick needed to be removed. I was kicking myself for not removing the spark plugs before unbolting the header. That made it more difficult than it should have been.

Tomorrow I'll pull the passenger side and do some other items on my to-do list. Hopefully I'll have the headers bolted on by the end of the day.

Having headers already on the car should make the job easier than it would be if it were all stock. Someone already put on a different alternator bracket and finagled a way for the a/c compressor to mount up.
I love to see these comin back! Nothing like a SHARK with side pipes chrome or black hanging. Looks like a fun weekend for you.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:31 AM
J.D.78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my sidepipes on my 78. the sound is just perfect for me. loud and obnoxious !!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

I love sidepipes! I have the hooker with spiral baffle mufflers (uncapped). Nothing like the sound...
Old 05-24-2015, 02:56 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

from now on...STEP OUT WIDE WHEN YOU EXIT THE CAR...Don't learn the hard way like most of us, lol
Old 05-24-2015, 03:04 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

By the way, I was able to use the stainless rocker covers with the Hooker sidepipes. I just had to slot the bottom edge up toward the front and then slide them forward after the pipes were on. It takes a bit of finesse and masking tape on the body so you don't scratch the paint. I have heard others that didn't have to slot them and others that couldn't get the rocker covers back on at all. Also, don't forget to use antisieze on the 4" pipes before you slide them on. Otherwise you won't be getting them off again when you need to.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:09 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Hanging flared fenders on mine. I hate to say, but you are probably going to have to get the drivers side higher in the air. Passenger side is much easier. Looking forward to seeing pictures with them on
Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Ugh, the drivers side header doesn't clear my steeroids stuff. I tried to bang on it with the side of a punch and a sledge and hardly made a dent. I need to put some thought into this. Might need to shim the motor mounts.

Got both sides in, got the old exhaust out, but the drivers side is probably coming back out.

I will follow up with pictures later. This will probably get wrapped up next weekend. The doug's kit didn't come with the hardware to mount the side pipes to the car, so there's that...
Old 05-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have mine also ....can't wait to get this project on the way
Old 05-24-2015, 09:44 PM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

I just did a ZZ454 swap in my 68 and decided that with the new engine I needed some ceramic headers and pipes rather than my Hooker, scratched, kinda rusty ones. So I sold them and bought some Doug's. Right side bolted right up, left side needed a dent to miss the frame, but with a hammer and a pipe I had them installed. That's when I saw the problem. The headers were 1 inch wider on each side than my old set. And if that was not bad enough, the right side was pointed so far down that there was no way to hang the pipe to the frame. The left side pointed up so far that the door would not open and of course could not be mounted to the frame. So they came off and were sent back to the vendor. Got the Hookers. Same 1 inch wider than my original set. So they went back and I borrowed my old ones and put them back on. Perfect fit. I now have a set of new painted headers and a man that is going to custom fit them and the pipes for me. A little cutting, a little welding, and then off to Jet Hot for the coating.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:47 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

I was using a hammer and the side of a punch. I think I need to go get a pipe and go to town with it that way. SO MUCH EFFORT for so little difference.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:08 AM
ALLOYDUDE
Intermediate

Just installed some Sweet Thunder pipes this morning. No covers yet. That will be a project for next weekend. Like yours better
Old 05-25-2015, 02:29 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

No side pipes, but hopefully I'll get a new dual exhaust set up installed on my 75.

Get notified of new replies

To Who else is spending memorial day weekend installing side pipes?

Quick Reply: Who else is spending memorial day weekend installing side pipes?