C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Side Exhaust...header compatibility???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 10:27 AM
flyinfree
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Factory Side Exhaust...header compatibility???

I am looking to install factory style side exhaust on my 68. Previous owner had side exhaust on the car however his son had removed the exhaust by the time I purchased it. I am running same heads however when I research which headers to buy there is note that says will not work with angle plug heads. I am running the GM double hump heads with angle plugs. I think many aftermarket heads also have angled plugs. Is anyone running the double hump angle plug heads with stubby headers and side exhaust. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinfree
I am looking to install factory style side exhaust on my 68. Previous owner had side exhaust on the car however his son had removed the exhaust by the time I purchased it. I am running same heads however when I research which headers to buy there is note that says will not work with angle plug heads. I am running the GM double hump heads with angle plugs. I think many aftermarket heads also have angled plugs. Is anyone running the double hump angle plug heads with stubby headers and side exhaust. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I can tell you I purchased the side exhaust setup and I have AFR 58cc heads. When I bolted the headers on and tried to install side tubes, the drivers side sat a little lower than where it was suppose to(side tubes mount to the frame). So it would not line up. Weirdly enough, the passenger side was fine. Come to find out, thr AFR's sit a little lower to the ground than the original 882 cast heads causing it to not line up correctly. Hopefully this helps somewhat...
Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

A customers 70 SB has headers and angle plug heads. What a pain it is to change the plugs. Plug wire routing is also a PITA. The car does have sidepipes. I know nothing about brand of headers or sidepipes . but everything fits and works.
IIRC we always have to get the short Accel plugs at tune up time
Old 05-25-2015, 12:42 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

I've been using these for many years, fit well, no problems. However I do not have angle plug heads.
http://www.amazon.com/Hedman-68280-H...ges/B000RE9IKW
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...Hedman%2068280
Old 05-25-2015, 02:30 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Headman is what i was looking at when i saw the footnote saing they would not work with angle plug heads. The more I read i think these heads are also called D port heads.

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
I've been using these for many
years, fit well, no problems. However I do not have angle plug heads.
http://www.amazon.com/Hedman-68280-H...ges/B000RE9IKW
http://www.summitracing.com/int/sear...Hedman%2068280
Old 05-25-2015, 10:16 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Looking at these headers, it occurs to me that the mounting flange is what will be in the way of angled plugs. I wouldn't think its all that hard to cut or grind part of that flange off. I do think that the collector will be lower than the stock pipe though and that's already prety low.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Looking at these headers, it occurs to me that the mounting flange is what will be in the way of angled plugs. I wouldn't think its all that hard to cut or grind part of that flange off. I do think that the collector will be lower than the stock pipe though and that's already prety low.
Which headers are you referring to?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:39 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Which headers are you referring to?
The Hedman's, I'd assume, because to the best of my knowledge, Hedman was the only one that made headers that would hook up to the factory side pipes. However, as I'm typing this, the thought of McJacks headers popped into my head. Possibly McJacks makes headers that are side pipe compatible.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Side Exhaust...header compatibility???

Quick Reply: Factory Side Exhaust...header compatibility???