C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a fix to broken bleeder valve on caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 08:25 PM
97widerider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there a fix to broken bleeder valve on caliper?

Just had my 4 calipers completely rebuilt by GM retired mechanic. I now see that the driver's rear outer bleeder screw is not working. Fluid was oozing out initially under brake pressure, more like seeping, but now it opens up as if the bleeder valve is open.... shoots right out. It is snug tight, not stripped. I have used a few different bleeders to include the ones that were taken off and they all do this. Obviously I have a problem with the seat inside the valve chamber.

I totally understand that this is something beyond the standard new pistons, collars, o rings, springs etc. Unless tested under pressure how would anyone know. I think this may be the culprit for my calipers getting into the mess they were.

Is this fixable without buying a new caliper again? I would hate to just waste the rebuilt caliper because of a dang bleeder screw problem.

I also noticed there is a capped off valve on the same caliper half but on the bottom. What if I put the cap on the bad valve and the bleeder on the bottom? At least each half of the rear caliper would have a bleeder valve but I also understand air rises and it might be impossible to get the air out of the caliper.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:53 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Yeah, it needs a bleeder on the top to get the air out of both halves.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:10 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Default Speed Bleeders??

Maybe a "speed bleeder" would thread in and seal....hopefully others will chime in
Old 05-25-2015, 06:01 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If it requires machining to repair it, it would be less trouble and expense to just replace that caliper.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:59 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Default here you go

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...3960/5012856-P
Old 05-26-2015, 01:22 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

they used to sell a bleeder repair kit, have seen them on many an old caliper. not sure if they still do, and have never used one but know they existed at one time...
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Harbor Freight sells a reverse drill bit set. It works very good. You drill a pilot hole and keep going bigger until it backs out. If it all goes south, you always have the option of using the bleeder repair kit in the HELP section of any auto parts store.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:28 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 97widerider
...I now see that the driver's rear outer bleeder screw is not working. Fluid was oozing out initially under brake pressure, more like seeping, but now it opens up as if the bleeder valve is open.... shoots right out. It is snug tight, not stripped. I have used a few different bleeders to include the ones that were taken off and they all do this. Obviously I have a problem with the seat inside the valve chamber...
Since you've already tried re-using your old bleeder valves, I think that you've ruled out that the leaking bleeder valve is the wrong size. One of the problems I've experienced over the years with the cast iron C2-C3 calipers is rust developing in the threaded area preventing the bleeder valve from completely seating.

Try using a correct-sized bottom tap to clean/refresh the threads all the way to the bottom on the hole for the bleeder valve. It's important to clean the very bottom threads so that the bleeder valve seats itself and blocks off the internal fluid channel to the pistons. Try turning the tap a 1/4 turn at a time with lubricant and then reversing it to clear any debris. After re-tapping the hole, if your bleeder valve feels loose (sometimes the rust is the only thing holding the bleeder valve tight), try wrapping a small length of Teflon tape around the bleeder valve's threads before re-inserting it.

Personally, I prefer stainless steel bleeder valves for use with cast iron as the SS will cut through any cast iron rust. Just don't cross-thread them because they will destroy the cast iron threads requiring drilling a new hole and larger diameter bleed valve. YMMV.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Rust in the bottom of the threads sounds like a likely cause. If that doesn't work I would try bleeding the brakes initially as it is then cap that leaky bleeder. That may keep it from leaking. Then when you need to bleed the brakes, cap comes off and bleeder goes back on for bleeding purposes.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 97widerider
Just had my 4 calipers completely rebuilt by GM retired mechanic. I now see that the driver's rear outer bleeder screw is not working. Fluid was oozing out initially under brake pressure, more like seeping, but now it opens up as if the bleeder valve is open.... shoots right out. It is snug tight, not stripped. I have used a few different bleeders to include the ones that were taken off and they all do this. Obviously I have a problem with the seat inside the valve chamber.

I totally understand that this is something beyond the standard new pistons, collars, o rings, springs etc. Unless tested under pressure how would anyone know. I think this may be the culprit for my calipers getting into the mess they were.

Is this fixable without buying a new caliper again? I would hate to just waste the rebuilt caliper because of a dang bleeder screw problem.

I also noticed there is a capped off valve on the same caliper half but on the bottom. What if I put the cap on the bad valve and the bleeder on the bottom? At least each half of the rear caliper would have a bleeder valve but I also understand air rises and it might be impossible to get the air out of the caliper.

Any help is appreciated.

If the bleeder screw got over-tightened the casting cracked and there's no fixing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a fix to broken bleeder valve on caliper?

Quick Reply: Is there a fix to broken bleeder valve on caliper?