C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end feels unstable

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 12:15 AM
alexandersuero
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end feels unstable

1982 c3. when i get over 50 mph i feel i lose the stability on the front end like its barely touching the ground. Feels unsafe. Anyone have an idea what may cause this??
Old 05-25-2015, 05:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Worn steering and suspension components; OLD tires; tires out of balance; poor front end alignment. Or, all of the above.

Your best move would be to take your car to a GOOD alignment shop and ask them to look over the front end parts for you. Most of them do that anyway, as they don't want to do an alignment on a vehicle which it will not help. They should be able to list the items that need repair/replacement and those that only need adjustment. Make sure they show you each problem they find...so that you can be the judge of whether that item really needs repair, or not.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:04 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would start with tire pressure.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:00 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If your steering gets really sensitive and 'darts' around when you get to higher speeds. It can most definitely be in an alignment or components being worn....as '7T1vette' mentioned.

And TRUST ME....you do want to find a GOOD alignment shop that KNOW what they are doing with a Corvette.

And knowing that you have independent rear suspension....if the rear suspension is NOT RIGHT...and parts are worn out and NOT adjusted correctly.....you can literally have a 'steering wheel' in the rear due to these parts in the rear being worn out....and it will effect how the car handles at high speeds.

DUB
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 PM
flyinfree
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rag joint

Just a thought but check your steering rag joint. When mine was bad it gave an unstable feeling...more so in the steering at high speeds.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:43 PM
rayluka
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine was like that. I tightened up the steering box a little and it helped. Just bought steeroids........

Get notified of new replies

To Front end feels unstable

Quick Reply: Front end feels unstable