C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Seals 1970 454

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 05:27 AM
PBCloud
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Automatic Transmission Seals 1970 454

Is it easy top replace the transmission seals as I have the engine & transmission out of the car so I can repaint the engine, and thought as there was a slight leak of transmission fluid I would replace them.

Any links for a step by step guide?

Kind regards
Paul
Old 05-25-2015, 05:45 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If that trans has never been rebuilt, it's the right time to take it to a GOOD (local...not chain) transmission shop for a complete rebuild. And, without the expense for R&R, the cost will be reasonable.

There are more things that cause trans leaks than just external seals. The 'tough' fixes are at the input and output. AND, there are internal parts that wear enough to create leaks that appear to be 'external'.

If you've ever considered installing an overdrive transmission, now would be the time. Not sayin' that you NEED to do so; but if you WANT to, there will never be a better opportunity.

P.S. Make sure the shop knows that you want YOUR transmission rebuilt--not replaced with another rebuilt unit.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:55 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Replace any and all you care to , but take note if your saying the front seal has a small leak ( the seal on the torque converter neck) a new seal will not stop the leak because the leak is caused by bushing were.

If that is the seal your talking about as (top seals) ... I second 7t1vette ..

Get notified of new replies

To Automatic Transmission Seals 1970 454

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Seals 1970 454