C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original '79 Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 06:26 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Original '79 Spark Plugs?

Can this be an original?

I continue to be surprised by what is and what is not original in this car. I'm the 3rd owner. The 2nd only had it a couple years before he was killed in an accident and since he had a huge number of vehicles both old and new I have no idea how much (if anything) he had done or did himself.

I've only done basic repairs to the engine as it always ran reasonably strong if hard to start and difficult to keep running until warm and a rather rough idle.

Replaced the plugs and it's like a new engine! Perfect cold starts (per original starting instructions), a far smoother idle and better acceleration that is now at least comparable to my Seville STS.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:34 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NO...I do not think so due to the 'ACDelco' logo had changed....if my memory serves me correctly.

DUB
Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

definitely not original. I have some original '79 plugs I pulled out of a 350 motor years ago (bought it new). I tend to save stuff just in case....but yes, logo and style has changed, color was darker too...
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I thought they had to have been changed but wanted to ask. The business end looked so good when removed that I wondered if I'd wasted time and money. I definitely didn't expect the radical improvement.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I agree...the business end of your spark plug looked really good. The main thing is making sure the gap on the new plugs going in are correctly done.

DUB
Old 05-26-2015, 08:00 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

I used good feeler gauges--not the cast things--to gap the plugs. I've never done a lot of deep work into engines but I'm definitely old enough to have been taught how to gap spark plugs! I was happy to find that I didn't have to set the dwell gap on the ignition points

Get notified of new replies

To Original '79 Spark Plugs?

Quick Reply: Original '79 Spark Plugs?