C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Distributor whine / squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:07 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 73 Distributor whine / squeal

I recently swapped out intakes from a Torker II to a Performer RPM. Afterwards everything came back together the way it should have and I can get the car to idle, BUT I'm getting this horrible whine from the distributor.

So far I've tried loosening the hold down and jiggling the distributor in place, shimming the distributor, applying die electric grease to the rotor and nothing seems to get rid if it. It has been converted from points to an MSD box.

It's RPM dependent and sometimes when it gets bad (changes tone) the car wants to die.

I pulled the shaft and did not see any unusual wear.

The only thing that has changed is the intake. The only hypothesis I have is that the intake is warped, but before I pull it and try running the car with the other intake, I was hoping one of you might be able to identify this.

Here is a video of the issue

Last edited by geodiego; 05-25-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Lime1GT
6th Gear

Hard to tell from the video but I'd be more inclined to think it's a vacuum leak as it seems to act up more as the throttle is released back to idle and vacuum is at it's max. You might try using an unlit propane torch to direct gas around the carb base and manifold gaskets to see if idle picks up indicating a vacuum leak. Be very careful and have a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Lime1GT
Hard to tell from the video but I'd be more inclined to think it's a vacuum leak
I considered that and checked all the hoses but definitely coming from the distributor and more mechanical in nature when you're in person - if that makes sense.

I'll try the flame close to the carb, but pretty sure that's not it, it has a new gasket and I took a straight edge to the mating surface for just that reason.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:55 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

That sounds like the power steering pump is totally dry or the front alternator bearing is about ready to seize.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:32 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
That sounds like the power steering pump is totally dry or the front alternator bearing is about ready to seize.
Yeah - I agree, horrible sound, but most definitely coming from the distributor housing. Pretty sure it's a mechanical in nature, but don't know what in the distributor could be causing it.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Dry or worn out bushings.

You might want to take the distributor apart and have a look at the bushings.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by geodiego
Yeah - I agree, horrible sound, but most definitely coming from the distributor housing. Pretty sure it's a mechanical in nature, but don't know what in the distributor could be causing it.

Take a 4 foot piece of large hose (like 5/8" garden hose) and hold one end to your ear (while plugging the other ear) while probing around with the other end. You'll quickly find its something like a bent alternator fan or front bearing seizing or the power steering pump is completely dry. There is nothing in a distributor that can cause a LOUD squealing at that high of speed. I'm betting on the noise coming from your alternator....................
Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at the tach drive.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:32 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

I undid the vbelt to confirm It's not an accessory. I'll check the bushings and tach drive. Might be time for a new distributor.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

did you look inside the cap to see if the rotor is physically touching anything other than the center button?
did you remove the rotor and check the weights and springs?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by MelWff
did you look inside the cap to see if the rotor is physically touching anything other than the center button?
did you remove the rotor and check the weights and springs?
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked the cap and rotor and didn't see and wear or material under the cap. I also put a dab of die electric grease on the rotor to see if the sound went away for a sec and no change. Under the rotor I did an inspection of the springs/weight but without RPMs it's hard to see what might be wrong besides anything weird happening while I push/pull them. I think I'm leaning towards bushing issues right now. It is the original (converted) distributor after all :-) I ordered an HEI/tach drive distributor from dragonfire. I'd planned this upgrade anyhow, hopefully this takes care of my issue.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

As Womb said...you try disconnecting the tach drive cable?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:22 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mikem350
As Womb said...you try disconnecting the tach drive cable?
It's been disconnected. Are there internal tach drive related parts in the distributor that could whine?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:29 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I had a similar issue with an HEI unit. Mine made that same noise although less intense and it was due to cam walk. The cam was forcing the shaft of the rotor drive into the housing bushing.
I disassembled the unit and it was pretty obvious what was happening. I think if you took yours a part you would see the wear to the busing(s).
Could be that the new intake has the hole in a slightly different position or angle and it's causing a slight binding of the rotor shaft causing it to be pushed into the housing bushing? How is the end play on the distributer? Is the gasket in place? Could be it's being forced down into the gear on the cam if the spacing is wrong causing binding.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:04 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I had a similar issue with an HEI unit. Mine made that same noise although less intense and it was due to cam walk. The cam was forcing the shaft of the rotor drive into the housing bushing.
I disassembled the unit and it was pretty obvious what was happening. I think if you took yours a part you would see the wear to the busing(s).
Could be that the new intake has the hole in a slightly different position or angle and it's causing a slight binding of the rotor shaft causing it to be pushed into the housing bushing? How is the end play on the distributer? Is the gasket in place? Could be it's being forced down into the gear on the cam if the spacing is wrong causing binding.
This is what I'm worried about. I've tried running the distributor with and without the gasket in place and even tried stacking a few gaskets to create a shim to see if it was a depth issue. Play up and down seems OK and if I loosen the distributor there is a little play around the neck, but I'm concerned there is an angle situation as you mentioned. Do you think loosening the intake bolts, bumping the motor a few times and retorquing might help? How did you remedy your situation?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:24 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Would I be better off getting a new intake? I don't want to just throw parts at the problem, but I've been messing with this issue for a couple of weeks now not beyond spending a couple hundred bucks to get the car back on the road.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by geodiego
This is what I'm worried about. I've tried running the distributor with and without the gasket in place and even tried stacking a few gaskets to create a shim to see if it was a depth issue. Play up and down seems OK and if I loosen the distributor there is a little play around the neck, but I'm concerned there is an angle situation as you mentioned. Do you think loosening the intake bolts, bumping the motor a few times and retorquing might help? How did you remedy your situation?
On my HEI after I took it apart I could see that the bottom of the shaft nearest the cam had worn on the front side of the bottom bushing and the top bushing had worn on the rear. So my conclusion was the gear was being pulled forward with the new roller cam. To remedy I had to fashion a rigid plate on the back of the timing chain cover for the cam button to push against. The chain cover was not stiff enough to prevent the cam from "walking" forward. No problem since.

In your case I would take the dist apart and remove the drive gear and shaft and determine in which direction it is being forced, if that is the problem.
Loosening the intake manifold and then bumping it in the proper direction with say..a rubber mallet may work, or it may just induce a leak. Hard to say.

First take the dist apart and determine what is causing the noise. It should be apparent by new shiny wear on two adjacent surfaces. Maybe some scoring as well. Then decide what is needed to fix it.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 Distributor whine / squeal

Old 05-27-2015, 05:45 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Its your alternator's front bearing that is about ready to seize OR the alternator fan is rubbing against the front of the housing. Remember a distributor spins at half the crank speed but an alternator spins about twice as fast.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:46 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
On my HEI after I took it apart I could see that the bottom of the shaft nearest the cam had worn on the front side of the bottom bushing and the top bushing had worn on the rear.
Thanks man! I'll do that when I get home!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 PM
geodiego
Heel & Toe

SO I took apart the distributor and it looks like i have wear on the bottom bushing towards the front of the car and wear on the top bushing towards the rear corner... so I'm guessing the intake is either not level, or needs to move forward a bit.

Question is can I loosen up the intake and bump it forward with a rubber mallet, or should I just redo the whole thing? This is the part of hot rodding that is not fun :-/

Quick Reply: 73 Distributor whine / squeal