C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber vs Steel Fuel Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 04:50 PM
UCVette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber vs Steel Fuel Line Question

Ok, I just purchased a new Spectre Fuel Filter and Rubber Fuel Hose, more for looks than anything else. I was looking at posts on the forums and see a ton of people say don't run a rubber hose from the fuel pump to the carb. This could be the dumb question of the day but did the OE have a steel fuel line? I have had other vehicles that have used rubber hoses in the past with no problem.

Comments please? I can hear it now, "Do you want your car to catch on fire?" The answer is NO but would like to know the opposition to rubber hoses if they are used in many other fuel applications.
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2015, 05:07 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes they have a steel line.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Those glass filters are a nightmare, they often leak brand new, and the last one I bought had cheap plastic barb fittings. I strongly urge you away from that product.

As far as the rubber hose.....Ive never used anything OTHER than rubber hose, and Ive never had a problem. Some may say that a rubber line can collapse under heavy suction, but your carb wont be pulling that much. And for the fire hazard.....keep it off your exhaust manifold and your fine.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottd
Those glass filters are a nightmare, they often leak brand new, and the last one I bought had cheap plastic barb fittings. I strongly urge you away from that product.

As far as the rubber hose.....Ive never used anything OTHER than rubber hose, and Ive never had a problem. Some may say that a rubber line can collapse under heavy suction, but your carb wont be pulling that much. And for the fire hazard.....keep it off your exhaust manifold and your fine.

I never had a problem with the glass filter, but moved up to a big Holley aluminum unit when I moved closer to the 500hp range. I've never had a problem with the heavy rubber hose you see in the photo. Both the hose and the clamps are made for fuel injection. Careful installation and watchful eyes...30 years problem free! Only fuel leak I ever had was when a stock pump diaphragm let go.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:19 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Originally Posted by UCVette
Comments please? I can hear it now, "Do you want your car to catch on fire?" The answer is NO but would like to know the opposition to rubber hoses if they are used in many other fuel applications.
By the way, I did have trouble with new cheap Chinese hose clamps from NAPA stripping threads. Double clamp if its all you can get. Fortunately, I have a collection of American made from the '70s and '80s.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:34 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by UCVette
Ok, I just purchased a new Spectre Fuel Filter and Rubber Fuel Hose, more for looks than anything else. I was looking at posts on the forums and see a ton of people say don't run a rubber hose from the fuel pump to the carb. This could be the dumb question of the day but did the OE have a steel fuel line? I have had other vehicles that have used rubber hoses in the past with no problem.

Drag strips will not allow rubber fuel hoses for safety reasons (yes, fire hazard is the biggie, and even a common pinhole leak would be a disaster). So, if you decide to take a trip to the strip, you will not pass tech.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Drag strips will not allow rubber fuel hoses for safety reasons (yes, fire hazard is the biggie, and even a common pinhole leak would be a disaster). So, if you decide to take a trip to the strip, you will not pass tech.
They allow a short piece lie 4 or 5 in, that's it.

How about steel braided rubber hose?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Silvertone
Racer

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
I've heard that many don't allow stock C3 rear-ends either. That's a little harder to remedy than the fuel line. Not that I'm going to the drags with mine anyway.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:38 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mikem350
They allow a short piece lie 4 or 5 in, that's it.

How about steel braided rubber hose?
Our local strip does allow a short 5" piece. Steel braided hose is also allowed. Check your local rules.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

As far as looks goes, the braided hose look is pretty played out on street cars. If your engine is fairly stock, the stock pump to carb line with an in-carb filter is the best set up. You won't have to worry about ethanol deteriorating the line from within. If you need to run a custom line, it is very easy to bend your own with the proper tools. It only took me about an hour to cut and bend up a line on my '71. If you must run braided hose, get teflon-lined hose that will resist the chemicals in today's fuel. That fuel filter is a definite hazard.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:33 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Nowadays you have to use steel and braided lines with fittings. It's almost impossible to buy a good screw clap and the steel line can be replaced with stainless steel that's very easy to work with. Summit racing has affordable braided line and fittings. Just be prepared to order more fittings. No matter how hard you try, the first few times it seems a fitting is missed or they didn't fit the way you thought.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:34 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with the factory Steel Line when I was having the new motor installed. You can see the OEM line is bent for I believe a Q-Jet and had to be re worked to fit the Quick Fuel.

Some cutting and re bending and they got it to work

I didn't want a rubber hose running that close to the headers.

Karsten

Get notified of new replies

To Rubber vs Steel Fuel Line Question

Quick Reply: Rubber vs Steel Fuel Line Question