C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 heater/ac blower motor toasted!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:21 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 heater/ac blower motor toasted!

Has anyone had to change out your blower motor? How do you get at the thing? I'm guessing by removing a panel underneath behind the wheel well? Actually the more I look at it, I don't think that's the answer either or at least I hope not. I think maybe I'll have to remove the coolant overflow bottle inorder to get it out from the top?

Last edited by Tommy K 47; 05-26-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if it's the same exactly but on my 77 I had to remove the overflow bottle and my car has a/c so I had to loosen the compressor and rotate it a bit out of the way to get the bottle out. Changing the motor out was very easy after that
Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by danh77
Not sure if it's the same exactly but on my 77 I had to remove the overflow bottle and my car has a/c so I had to loosen the compressor and rotate it a bit out of the way to get the bottle out. Changing the motor out was very easy after that
Thanks danh77 for the reply. Yes it sounds like they're the same. Once I get the overflow container out of the way it looks like I'll be ok.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy K 47
Thanks danh77 for the reply. Yes it sounds like they're the same. Once I get the overflow container out of the way it looks like I'll be ok.
YES...the overflow reservoir has to come out so you can remove the blower motor. Still FUN to get out...I have been there many times. I still get to a few of the fasteners from the bottom. AND...when you get the blower motor out....you can look down into the area where your A/C evaporator core is and see if you have a bunch of ground op leaves blocking the front face of it....It is not perfectly clear view...but it will give you an idea. AND then that is when I use my modified shop vacuum cleaner with hoses that are reduced and run a hose down into this area and with my vacuum cleaner empty...I will vacuum it out and see if I am pulling out any leaves and crud.

DUB
Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...the overflow reservoir has to come out so you can remove the blower motor. Still FUN to get out...I have been there many times. I still get to a few of the fasteners from the bottom. AND...when you get the blower motor out....you can look down into the area where your A/C evaporator core is and see if you have a bunch of ground op leaves blocking the front face of it....It is not perfectly clear view...but it will give you an idea. AND then that is when I use my modified shop vacuum cleaner with hoses that are reduced and run a hose down into this area and with my vacuum cleaner empty...I will vacuum it out and see if I am pulling out any leaves and crud.

DUB
Yes sir Dub you be the man! Very good tip and advice. I appreciate it. I have another question for you. I need to upgrade my a/c system to whatever freon they're using now adays and I'm wondering if I'm able to reuse the existing evaporator coil? Thanks
Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Here is a photo that my help you locate bolts etc. Its from a non A/C wrecked '78

I think the blower housing for ac and non ac cars were the same, just the heater cores were different. Somebody please confirm or deny.

dodosmike
Old 05-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dodosmike

Here is a photo that my help you locate bolts etc. Its from a non A/C wrecked '78

I think the blower housing for ac and non ac cars were the same, just the heater cores were different. Somebody please confirm or deny.

dodosmike
Thanks for the photo dodosmike. Actually the blower housing is different because that one doesn't have the section that houses the a/c evaporator coil like mine does.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:19 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tommy K 47
Yes sir Dub you be the man! Very good tip and advice. I appreciate it. I have another question for you. I need to upgrade my a/c system to whatever freon they're using now adays and I'm wondering if I'm able to reuse the existing evaporator coil? Thanks
YES...as long as the evaporator core is GOOD and NOT leaking...it can be re-used.

I can say it is FUN changing out an evaporator core with the engine in the car. You have to separate the box on the firewall. I have done it...bit is is a bit of fun. The half with the blower motor stays...and the half closest to the engine is what will come out.

You still can have R-12 used...but it costs more. The current 134a Freon is what is being currently used. You may want to replace the accumulator/drier.

DUB
Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...as long as the evaporator core is GOOD and NOT leaking...it can be re-used.

I can say it is FUN changing out an evaporator core with the engine in the car. You have to separate the box on the firewall. I have done it...bit is is a bit of fun. The half with the blower motor stays...and the half closest to the engine is what will come out.

You still can have R-12 used...but it costs more. The current 134a Freon is what is being currently used. You may want to replace the accumulator/drier.

DUB
Thanks Dub, yah I wasn't sure if I heard about a different freon being used that required a different evaporator as well as compressor and condenser coil too? Everything! Because of a non compatible oil and totally different pressures? It's good to hear 134a is still widely used and available. I still have an R12 system and a partial drum of R12 so Ill begin with that to see how long it lasts and determine where it leaks. If it does leak I hope it's not the evaporator coil.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:05 PM
DUB
Race Director

I am by NO MEANS an Air Conditioning expert. I have a guy who does all mine...but I know enough. Yes...different oils and different amounts of freon are used...depending on what freon is in the system.
I hope it charges up fine and does not leak down.
DUB
Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Tommy K 47
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
I am by NO MEANS an Air Conditioning expert. I have a guy who does all mine...but I know enough. Yes...different oils and different amounts of freon are used...depending on what freon is in the system.
I hope it charges up fine and does not leak down.
DUB
Thanks Dub, yes me too!

Get notified of new replies

To 78 heater/ac blower motor toasted!

Quick Reply: 78 heater/ac blower motor toasted!