C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help needed...radiator/spal fan install

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:31 AM
DO2G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help needed...radiator/spal fan install

I purchased a Dewitt's radiator and spal fan combo for my 78. The radiator and fan mounted together would not fit as the upper control arms were in the way.

I separated the fan and radiator and then the radiator slid right in and mounted fine in the factory locations.

But, I still can't get the spal fans to fit. Control arms are still in the way. Any recommendations on how to fit the fans?

Thanks

PS...I will call Dewitt's later today to see if they have any ideas..
Old 05-28-2015, 08:25 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by DO2G
I purchased a Dewitt's radiator and spal fan combo for my 78. The radiator and fan mounted together would not fit as the upper control arms were in the way.

I separated the fan and radiator and then the radiator slid right in and mounted fine in the factory locations.

But, I still can't get the spal fans to fit. Control arms are still in the way. Any recommendations on how to fit the fans?

Thanks

Are you trying to install the radiator with the hood still on? To install a radiator in ANY C3 remove the hood, remove the 2 middle and 2 top radiator frame mounting bolts, loosen the 2 bottom bolts, then pivot the radiator and frame until they're pointing straight up. Then the radiator pulls right out (straight up). When done like the shop manual says the upper a-frames are no issue at all.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:53 AM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

My buddy installed one in his 77, he had the same issue. I had no issues with my 69. No issues on a 68 either.

It seems the location where dewitts mounts them interferes on some cars. My guess is it has to do with the radiator support itself as the frames did not really change in the control arm area. It could have to do with your alignment shims for your upper control arm but thats neither here not there it still has to work and your alignment has to stay correct. Sooo....

The fix was to remove the fan assembly (temp install the radiator itself) and then lay the fans in place where it needs to be and mark new spots to mount the fans over a 1/2 inch or so depending on you situation to align the fans so they do not hit the control arms.

Sucks... but that is the fix.

Last edited by mysixtynine; 05-28-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:49 AM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to do the exact fix as described by mysixtynine on my '79 L82. I did this several years ago and do not remember if I took the hood off...
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM
DO2G
Pro

My hood is off.

I will look at separating the 2 fans completely and mounting them separately, but I still don't it will fit that way. But, I will try.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:41 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

It was already on stands but I believe I brought the fans up from the bottom when I was fitting them
M
Old 05-28-2015, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I remove the top two bolts that hold the radiator support to the inner skirts...loosen the bottom bolts so the radiator supp port can pivot. in some cases I have to loosen the large bolts that hold the radiator support to the brackets on the impact bar at the bottom. I pull the core support towards the front of the car and the radiator will go in....but it goes in at a slight angle....and the bottom right side of the radiator goes in first. And it does not matter if your car is an A/C car. The radiator support will tilt forward enough to get it to go in. To hold the core support forward...when I pull it forward...I put a bolt in the hole in the inner skirt where the bolts goes through. This process NEVER failed me.

DUB
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Thanks

What is the width of your fan assembly. Mine is approx ~ 23.5"

I have the same products. I purchased them disassembled from each other. Installed the rad and then positioned the fans for best fit between the control arms. There is not much room to spare but nothing hits. Same 78 corvette.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:32 AM
DO2G
Pro

I got it to fit (just barely) by taking the fans off the brackets. I also had to drill new holes for the brackets to mount to the radiator.

Wiring it up next weekend.....
Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

'78 and up radiators can easily be replaced with the hood on the car.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:21 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

I got it to fit (just barely) by taking the fans off the brackets. I also had to drill new holes for the brackets to mount to the radiator.

Wiring it up next weekend.....
Surprised they didn't have the fans installed in the correct location to start with. Mine sits off to the passenger side. Not much clearance .

They must sell and C3 general package.

Glad it fits, this kit works great !
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 PM
DO2G
Pro

[QUOTE=cagotzmann;1589748384]Surprised they didn't have the fans installed in the correct location to start with. Mine sits off to the passenger side. Not much clearance .

Agreed
Old 06-03-2015, 07:45 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

I had to remove the fans and shift them over to the pass side to clear the A arms.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:31 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnb5101
I had to remove the fans and shift them over to the pass side to clear the A arms.
Move the fan assembly to the right side of the radiator. It will be close, but it will fit.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:57 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooser
It was already on stands but I believe I brought the fans up from the bottom when I was fitting them
M
Me too on my 77. Yup..... they do cool great.

Get notified of new replies

To Help needed...radiator/spal fan install

Quick Reply: Help needed...radiator/spal fan install