C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Crank Pulley bolts - questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
rsnyderjr2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Crank Pulley bolts - questions

Hi Guys - could use some help here - transferring my pulleys to my new GM crate engine...

Harmonic Balancer is already on - and when I googled for crank pulley torque specs I saw a bunch of corvette threads that said "you can't re-use the old center bolt"...

Is this just for later-model vehicles - or do I need to get a new center bolt? And can someone please tell me what the torque specs should be for center bolt + the 3 HB bolts?

And on the order - should I install the center bolt first / then the Harmonic Balancer bolts? Or vice versa?

And what about the fan stud torque specs (to the water pump)?

Thanks so much for any advice on this!!!

Ritch

Last edited by rsnyderjr2; 06-03-2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

so the balancer came on the crate engine and you had to remove the bolt to install the pulley, if yes, you can reuse the bolt. 60 lb/ft for the center bolt. I would start all bolts and tighten center first. For the pulley bolts google bolt torque and see what they recommend for what ever size the bolt is. I guess you could do the same for the fan but typically don't torque either one do it by feel.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:28 PM
rsnyderjr2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
so the balancer came on the crate engine and you had to remove the bolt to install the pulley, if yes, you can reuse the bolt. 60 lb/ft for the center bolt. I would start all bolts and tighten center first. For the pulley bolts google bolt torque and see what they recommend for what ever size the bolt is. I guess you could do the same for the fan but typically don't torque either one do it by feel.
Thanks Mel - and no, I installed the new balancer with a HB install tool - and I'm re-using the pulleys and bolts from the old engine (if that's cool?)

Thanks again!!

Ritch
Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I look at bolts for distorted or mis-shaped threads- I don't see a problem, it's getting re-used. End of story. No reason I can see not to use them again.

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Crank Pulley bolts - questions

Quick Reply: 1981 Crank Pulley bolts - questions