C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 Rear suspension suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:19 PM
BakedPotato65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1974 Rear suspension suggestions?

I have a 1974 Corvette Stingray L-48 Coupe that I'm starting to restore. I noticed that while I was at the rear of the car, taking the corroded gas tank out, the leaf spring seemed very worn out/ saggy. I've looked on Ecklers and saw the original 9-leaf, the 7-leaf gymkhana, and some single leaf springs that are more expensive. I was wondering which leaf spring I should get. I have no idea what the differences between the gymkhana, the original, and the single leaf springs are other than the amount of leaves. Difference in handling? Which one would be best? Also is there a specific way to remove and install the leaf spring?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2015, 06:03 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by BakedPotato65
I have a 1974 Corvette Stingray L-48 Coupe that I'm starting to restore. I noticed that while I was at the rear of the car, taking the corroded gas tank out, the leaf spring seemed very worn out/ saggy. I've looked on Ecklers and saw the original 9-leaf, the 7-leaf gymkhana, and some single leaf springs that are more expensive. I was wondering which leaf spring I should get. I have no idea what the differences between the gymkhana, the original, and the single leaf springs are other than the amount of leaves. Difference in handling? Which one would be best? Also is there a specific way to remove and install the leaf spring?

Thanks
In your picture it shows a 9 leaf spring. The F41 7 leaf spring is said to create a stiffer ride. I would put back what you had. Many vendors on the forum supply the spring. I think there is a spring for sale in the parts section.
r
Old 06-05-2015, 06:16 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

JMO If you are restoring the car I would replace with like spring,9 leaf with a 9 leaf. The others tend to add cash and complexity. Spend your money on replacing all the front and rear suspension parts.
Looking at your picture of the rear end, "you have a long row to hoe" mister potato.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:16 AM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd bet your diff will need rebuilding also. With those half shafts running practically horizontal like they are, they are pushing the yokes into the diff causing massive wear on the ends of the yoke. After removing the half shafts, see if the the yokes have any movement in and out.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 AM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Check out Vette Brakes & Products website video section... you'll find video clips which include a rear suspension sample that discusses removing that rear leaf spring.
Old 06-06-2015, 04:51 PM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I forgot to mention that the spring bolts are rusted and require care to remove!
Use something like power blaster before you try to remove them, many a differential cases have broken mounting holes. Use a thread chaser not a thread tap to clean the bolt holes.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:41 AM
LS4 PILOT
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks like the typical ...long ignored corvette suspensions .

Prepare for a major attack on your check book
Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

You said that your car is a '74 but you have a diff cover off a '78-79 and a matching leaf spring so when you go to buy replacement parts you'll have to order a spring for a 78-79. You can tell which year cover it is by the steps in the spring mount face where the bolts thread into the cover. The 63-77 covers are flat across the back where those bolts are and the bolts are 9/16" in diameter. The early springs are 2.25" wide and the 78-79's are 2.5" wide. 78-79's also use 7/16 bolts to attach the spring to the cover.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 Rear suspension suggestions?

Quick Reply: 1974 Rear suspension suggestions?