C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd vibration grinding noise under hard acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Odd vibration grinding noise under hard acceleration.

Curious if anyone has had this problem before. I get a vibration slight grinding noise when I accelerate hard from a dead stop. It does not occur during any other time. My only guess is that the starter needs to be shimmed because its hitting the flywheel. Auto trans shifts fine but the noise sounds like its coming from under the passenger seat.

I know this isn't a lot of info but its kinda hard to discribe the noise. Again only under hard acceleration.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 03:59 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BEVO76
Curious if anyone has had this problem before. I get a vibration slight grinding noise when I accelerate hard from a dead stop. It does not occur during any other time. My only guess is that the starter needs to be shimmed because its hitting the flywheel. Auto trans shifts fine but the noise sounds like its coming from under the passenger seat.

I know this isn't a lot of info but its kinda hard to discribe the noise. Again only under hard acceleration.

Thanks

Its very possible you have a broken transmission mount..................
Old 06-07-2015, 05:07 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Thanks
Open the hood and do a few quick accelerations, watch the engine level. It should try to lift up from the drivers side. If it moves up ,I would check the engine mount on the drivers side, and also check the transmission mount. But start with the engine mount on the drivers side.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:14 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 791 Likes on 540 Posts

I also think a mount might be broken. If a motor mount is bad, as the engine lifts up it could be causing your fan blades to hit the shroud.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:56 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Thanks for the replies guys! I did have an issue with the fan hitting the shroud but that was due to getting the fan powdercoated. After the first 100mi that all went away.

I checked the trans mount this afternoon and it was fine. No cracks in the mount and no breaks.

As far as the motor mounts go they are fine as we just dropped the 383 in 3 weeks ago and they were fine when the engine went in.

The noise is hard to discribe but I will give it another try. I doubt many have heard this....but here it goes. Sometimes when I put my seatbelt on it will spool itself up while im driving and makes a sound I cannot discribe unless you have heard it. Another thing it sounds like is when the exhaust is rubbing on metal and when you mash the gas it makes a buzzing metalic ringing sound. The noise comes from the passenger seat or just behind it.

Yall must think im crazy!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 10:01 PM
BEVO76
Pro

I wonder if it has anything to do with 30 year old rear dif fluid that I need to change out? Probably not but just a thought! Or half shafts and driveshaft u joints that need to be lubed

Last edited by BEVO76; 06-07-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:55 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Curious if anyone has had this problem before. I get a vibration slight grinding noise when I accelerate hard from a dead stop. It does not occur during any other time.

Thanks

Real common when the rear end of the car sags as the carrier bushing wears. The car goes squat under acceleration and the rear U-joint rubs the tunnel. If you get the car up on a lift, you may see the "witness marks" on the tunnel.

The easy fix is to remove the nut on the carrier, pry the carrier away with a big screwdriver, and insert a couple fender washers in between.

I had these symptoms after installing the Guldstrand aluminum bushings, and this was the problem, and this did fix it.

The better solution may be to replace your bushings.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Brother I think you nailed it there is a distinct line on the rear of the driveshaft im guessing thats what its from huh!
Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 PM
BEVO76
Pro

My bushings are shot as well but im saving for a v&b full suspension kit. Explain again where I need to pry up on and place the washers until I get the suspension kit
Old 06-08-2015, 01:42 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

In the picture, bushing "C" has compressed.

You need to remove nut "A," and use a big screwdriver to pry piece "D" away from its mount and push bolt "A" back (or up) enough that you can slip a couple fender washers between bushing "C" and piece "D."

Then reassemble it.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:00 PM
BEVO76
Pro

Originally Posted by toddalin
In the picture, bushing "C" has compressed.

You need to remove nut "A," and use a big screwdriver to pry piece "D" away from its mount and push bolt "A" back (or up) enough that you can slip a couple fender washers between bushing "C" and piece "D."

Then reassemble it.

Thanks for the help you were dead on with the noise and the solution. Would I still need to do the washers if I replace the bushing?
Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Probably not.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd vibration grinding noise under hard acceleration.

Quick Reply: Odd vibration grinding noise under hard acceleration.