C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box - Grease or Gear Lube

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Box - Grease or Gear Lube

I'm rebuilding the steering box, actually just replacing the seals and cleaning everything up, and was wondering should I just go with the gear lube or switch to grease? I hate all the leaking oil, just made a huge mess.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:52 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I put grease in my 68s box just like specified but I doubt oil would stay in mine for very long.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Lobzila
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

When I rebuilt mine, I put oil in it and had no leaks or problems. You should be fine either way you go.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:48 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Grease is OK, less chance for leaks.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:38 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

I used a lube for vintage steering boxes that has the consistency of thick honey. Been in there for a year and a half since I rebuilt the box and so far no leaks.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:54 AM
ctuinstra
Racer

Do you think the grease will increase the steering effort on a manual?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:34 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Saginaw engineering told me that they always recommended a good grade of lithium based chassis grease for their manual steering gear.

Gary Ramadei specifically uses Coastal Uniplex premium, high temperature, lithium complex grease.

Gary does not recommend synthetic grease for the manual gear.

Jim

Last edited by Jim Shea; 06-09-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Jim,
Just a minor correction. It is "Coastal". It does not leak.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I use a mixture of chassis lube and engine oil. I put some grease in can and add engine oil until it thins enough to be like a paste.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:06 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Saginaw engineering told me that they always recommended a good grade of lithium based chassis grease.

Gary Ramadei specifically uses Costal Uniplex premium, high temperature, lithium complex grease.

Gary does not recommend synthetic grease for the manual gear.

Jim
Jim, I'm confused. Gary doesn't recommend any grease or just synthetic grease in a manual box? What about the Coastal in a manual?
Old 06-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You can get steering gear lubricant at the dealership, part # 1051052.
That's what GM used at the factory.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've been running Mobil1 synthetic for 15 years w/o a problem. Check every 5+ years to make sure still full, which it is.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Jim, I'm confused. Gary doesn't recommend any grease or just synthetic grease in a manual box? What about the Coastal in a manual?
Gary uses a brand of lithium based chassis grease in his manual steering gear rebuilds. He specifically does NOT recommend synthetic greases because he found that they tend to leak.

I am sure that other fluids, greases, etc may work but Saginaw laboratory and full vehicle durability tests were conducted using high grade, lithium based, chassis grease.

Jim
Old 06-10-2015, 02:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I chose synthetic gear grease because it would NOT leak. You want to use something thick enough not to be 'fluid' and also something that will not melt at engine compartment temps. That 'recipe' equates to a non-liquid, high-temp synthetic grease.

I exchanged the original type of grease for synthetic years ago, and have not had any problems or leakage since (and I did not replace seals).
Old 06-10-2015, 10:23 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Gary uses a brand of lithium based chassis grease in his manual steering gear rebuilds. He specifically does NOT recommend synthetic greases because he found that they tend to leak.

I am sure that other fluids, greases, etc may work but Saginaw laboratory and full vehicle durability tests were conducted using high grade, lithium based, chassis grease.

Jim
Thanks for clearing that up. I can understand using a good quality grease to help keep it from leaking. I'd like to add a thought about the quality of the grease whether it's synthetic or not. I remember once reading about one of the factors of a good quality grease is its resistance to separating. Some of the more poor greases will separate leaving a runny liquid and solids. In fact I have some synthetic grease in a grease gun that is leaking "oil" out of the bottom of the gun and dripping on the floor. For the longest time I couldn't find out where this mysterious red fluid was coming from because it was dripping onto a piece of plumbing and running down and then onto the floor. I though the pipe was leaking but I couldn't figure out why it's red. After investigating I found its the grease. I was shocked to see how much red fluid has come out of it. Synthetic is not the only grease that will separate though.

I may try a good grease, I just hope that it does't increase the steering effort.

Last edited by ctuinstra; 06-10-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
I've been running Mobil1 synthetic for 15 years w/o a problem. Check every 5+ years to make sure still full, which it is.
Dumb question where do you add it?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Thanks for clearing that up. I can understand using a good quality grease to help keep it from leaking. I'd like to add a thought about the quality of the grease whether it's synthetic or not. I remember once reading about one of the factors of a good quality grease is its resistance to separating. Some of the more poor greases will separate leaving a runny liquid and solids. In fact I have some synthetic grease in a grease gun that is leaking "oil" out of the bottom of the gun and dripping on the floor. For the longest time I couldn't find out where this mysterious red fluid was coming from because it was dripping onto a piece of plumbing and running down and then onto the floor. I though the pipe was leaking but I couldn't figure out why it's red. After investigating I found its the grease. I was shocked to see how much red fluid has come out of it. Synthetic is not the only grease that will separate though.

I may try a good grease, I just hope that it does't increase the steering effort.
My grease gun leaks too, it seems to be OK for the ball joints but I sure would not use it in the steering box. I'm not sure what brand I have.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Box - Grease or Gear Lube

Old 06-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

In 1975 I filled my steering box with straight STP. (with a small air gap) It's still in there now with 100K miles and also with manual steering.
Steering box is still tight, no play and continues to work well.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:21 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

STP- a thousand and ONE uses!
Old 02-11-2017, 12:23 AM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
Jim,
Just a minor correction. It is "Coastal". It does not leak.

I read that grease must be filled at 3/4. What does it mean? 3/4 lenght from the very bottom?

How can I pull out the old grease with the steering box on the car? My concern is that the new and the old grease might not mix properly.

Is this grease OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valvoline-VV...lWRgHA&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Steering Box - Grease or Gear Lube