C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 carpet redo

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 02:24 PM
greggome
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 68 carpet redo

Anyone tackle a full carpet replacement? Not sure how complicated it is. Watched some videos on it but not real detailed as far as how to get old carpet out, whats the best type of adhesive to use and quantities needed, how to get the carpet snug, best tool to trim/ cut the carpet etc. Also on my vette the passenger side has some rubber carpet fasteners which I guess holds the carpet in place against the firewall instead of glue? Also how to go about cutting the carpet for the rear compartment assembly ( I assume carpet kits dont have this already cut out). Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:15 PM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I just did this on my 77 last weekend. It's not all that complicated but it does require patience. I had to fight with removing the seat belt retractors, lots of pb blaster, and sorting out what a previous owner had done. I started with the rear wheel wells and worked forward from there. I test fit numerous times making small adjustments before final install. My son is an architect student in college and had this handy ultra sharp blade deal so that's what I trimmed with, I originally was going to use a bunch of new razor blades and I would guess they would have worked fine. I had recently gotten a new rear compartment unit so I didn't need to do that although the carpet set I bought came with those pieces already cut as well. I had asked many questions before starting the project and quite a few replies regarding the compartment doors being a bit tricky so hopefully someone else will chime in with some help for you on those. I did lay my carpet pieces out in the sun before I installed them, not sure if it made a difference but it seemed in my head to make sense that they would be more flexible. Just take your time , test fit and wherever you need to trim make small adjustments till you get where you want.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:39 PM
greggome
Racer

What type of adhesive did you use and how much did it take?
Did you need to cut the rectangle for the rear compartment door assembly in the rear deck carpeting or was it already cut to fit when you bought the carpet?

The rear compartment
Originally Posted by danh77
I just did this on my 77 last weekend. It's not all that complicated but it does require patience. I had to fight with removing the seat belt retractors, lots of pb blaster, and sorting out what a previous owner had done. I started with the rear wheel wells and worked forward from there. I test fit numerous times making small adjustments before final install. My son is an architect student in college and had this handy ultra sharp blade deal so that's what I trimmed with, I originally was going to use a bunch of new razor blades and I would guess they would have worked fine. I had recently gotten a new rear compartment unit so I didn't need to do that although the carpet set I bought came with those pieces already cut as well. I had asked many questions before starting the project and quite a few replies regarding the compartment doors being a bit tricky so hopefully someone else will chime in with some help for you on those. I did lay my carpet pieces out in the sun before I installed them, not sure if it made a difference but it seemed in my head to make sense that they would be more flexible. Just take your time , test fit and wherever you need to trim make small adjustments till you get where you want.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:34 AM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi greg , use the search feature on this forum and you will have plenty to see , some just posted in the last week mine included. I just did this on my '73 vert this past winter. Buy your carpet from a reputable vendor and it will come with all the different sections pre cut but trimming will be required. Be advised that the wheel arches are a bear to fit but don't give up. Once you get the seats out you will be able to better see what needs to come out and how, kick panels, door sills ,etc. I used a utility knife and changed the blades frequently an exacto knife was useful trimming the storage compartment doors. Yes there are rubber/plastic fasteners at the firewall and if you need some you can get them at True Value Hardware. I used Headliner and Carpet Adhesive in a orange spray can made by Permatex for gluing. It can be bought at any auto parts store. Patience is a must , take your time and I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. good luck
Old 06-28-2015, 06:34 PM
greggome
Racer

Thanks for the info. You can find the replacement rubber carpet/firewall fasteners at True Value?

Originally Posted by tpfarm
Hi greg , use the search feature on this forum and you will have plenty to see , some just posted in the last week mine included. I just did this on my '73 vert this past winter. Buy your carpet from a reputable vendor and it will come with all the different sections pre cut but trimming will be required. Be advised that the wheel arches are a bear to fit but don't give up. Once you get the seats out you will be able to better see what needs to come out and how, kick panels, door sills ,etc. I used a utility knife and changed the blades frequently an exacto knife was useful trimming the storage compartment doors. Yes there are rubber/plastic fasteners at the firewall and if you need some you can get them at True Value Hardware. I used Headliner and Carpet Adhesive in a orange spray can made by Permatex for gluing. It can be bought at any auto parts store. Patience is a must , take your time and I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. good luck
Old 06-28-2015, 10:41 PM
tpfarm
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by greggome
Thanks for the info. You can find the replacement rubber carpet/firewall fasteners at True Value?
Yes, they looked like the ones that came out of my original carpet. True Value has an automotive fastener section and I would think that ACE would also. They just push in and catch, all different sizes.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 carpet redo

Quick Reply: 68 carpet redo