C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is it (cracked diff cover)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 PM
78SilverCam
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend rebuilding your rear suspension while you were at it - but that's only because I'm retarded and do that myself anyway.

I needed to replace two ball joints and am now into a year long suspension rebuild projects....A year because I have a demanding job, a demanding wife, and two demanding kids....
Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
FWIW I just happen to have a NOS Muskegon HD diff cover that needs a good home (decided to fit mine to a batwing). PM if interested.
You're going to need a new diff cover, and a Muskegon HD diff cover is what you need. They are stronger than stock. You can still buy them from vendors...maybe TheSkunkWorks has a friendly price.

I like the VBP composite spring. 8 pounds versus 41 pounds. It's much easier to install also. I have their 360 pound/inch spring.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 07-02-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Jazzyced
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SkunkWorks, PM(s) sent. Let's see if we can work something out!

I have been on a different front yesterday (see thread 'free spinning rear wheels'), trying to identify the origin of a clicking / scraping noise which made me discover the crack differential cover.

After disconnecting the half shafts, and given the condition of the rear suspension, I definitely agree that a full resto would be needed. A lot of things need attention in there and removing the diff cover forces me to remove the other items as well, and they may not be good enough to be simply put back.

To the diff work, I can add a suspension job (although the shocks are new, so something less to worry about), new wheel bearings and fixing my seized (2 month old!) parking brake...

Now, I have to come to term with the year it will take to fix this (demanding kids are the killer for me), the budget needed, and not driving my car for a long period of time.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:57 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzyced
SkunkWorks, PM(s) sent. Let's see if we can work something out!

I have been on a different front yesterday (see thread 'free spinning rear wheels'), trying to identify the origin of a clicking / scraping noise which made me discover the crack differential cover.

After disconnecting the half shafts, and given the condition of the rear suspension, I definitely agree that a full resto would be needed. A lot of things need attention in there and removing the diff cover forces me to remove the other items as well, and they may not be good enough to be simply put back.

To the diff work, I can add a suspension job (although the shocks are new, so something less to worry about), new wheel bearings and fixing my seized (2 month old!) parking brake...

Now, I have to come to term with the year it will take to fix this (demanding kids are the killer for me), the budget needed, and not driving my car for a long period of time.
when My diff cover was cracked I got a lot of clunking and cracking noise from it. mine was acutally broke clean though and on both sides.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Yours looked just like mine, replaced it with a Muskegon HD diff cover.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

All of the original rear differential covers can crack. They were not designed well enough, to take the punishment for years on end. If that rear spring flips out, you will have most of your rear fenders broken off! Very glad that Muskegon Brake came to our rescue and designed the heavy duty cover, to fix our babies. Lou.

Quick Reply: How bad is it (cracked diff cover)?