C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New caliper hits wheel and old didn't!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:30 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

Default New caliper hits wheel and old didn't!

Just wondering if anyone else has changed a caliper and then had wheel clearance issues? These stock brakes are really getting on my nerves!

LOL at 1st I was happy the new caliper was shiny silver plated and now since I can't see where it is hitting on I'm not. Wheel shows no marks either and I'm too annoyed and tired to mess with it anymore tonight. I'll have to coat them with something so it shows up better tomorrow.

Wheel are centerline convo pros. Can't swap the wheel either, front tires are directional and rears are drag radials.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:29 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

There's nothing wrong with your brake calipers when they're used with the OEM wheels. So please don't blame the calipers.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 AM
sug
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 510 Likes on 270 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
C3 of Year Winner (stock) 2019

Maybe the wheel balancing weights.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:45 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sug
Maybe the wheel balancing weights.
I had them use the outer wheel weighs when balancing.

To be clear for those who think like the 1st reply I will type in all caps and use a lot of explanation points.

THE WHEEL DID NOT HIT BEFORE THE 2ND REMANUAFACUTERED CALIPER NOR DO THE OTHER 3 WHEELS HIT WITH THE ORIG OR REMAN CALIPERS!!! ONLY THIS NEW CALIPER HITS!!!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GM MAKER WHO IS INFALLIBLE!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

hope you find the problem
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 62corvette
hope you find the problem
Thx, I'm gonna loosen the caliper and retighten to see if it's up a bit. Also got a thin spacer somewhere to try on it and see if it's the face that touches.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by BOOT77
...ONLY THIS NEW CALIPER HITS!!!...
At this point, would you not agree the problem is the replacement caliper or it's installation?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Your description is somewhat vague and not alot of info.

How many calipers are new ? Just the one that supposedly hitting the wheel ?

With better description you might find better answers. I do know some people grind calipers to make wheels fit, but I couldnt understand what you had mounted, what worked with what wheel and what calipers have been replaced.

Could be a cast lip spot on the new caliper that might be hitting. Easy fix.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:38 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

I had them use the outer wheel weighs when balancing.

To be clear for those who think like the 1st reply I will type in all caps and use a lot of explanation points.

THE WHEEL DID NOT HIT BEFORE THE 2ND REMANUAFACUTERED CALIPER NOR DO THE OTHER 3 WHEELS HIT WITH THE ORIG OR REMAN CALIPERS!!! ONLY THIS NEW CALIPER HITS!!!

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY GM MAKER WHO IS INFALLIBLE!!!

I understand exactly what you're saying, and here's why.....

Many years ago, my wife owned a '79 coupe. After sitting through the car's winter hibernation, when it was about 12 years old, I was preparing to put the car back on the road, when I noticed the RF caliper was leaking....DRAT! In the back of my mind, I knew the calipers wouldn't last for ever, but I was annoyed that the leak didn't show itself a month or two earlier, as I wanted to get the car back on the road ASAP.

Just for grins, I called my buddies at the local parts store, and they said, Yes, we have rebuilt Corvette calipers in stock. I immediately drove over, and picked up 4 calipers. HERE is where it gets a little funny. 3 of the calipers looked just like the ones I took off. The 4th, however, looked like it had some sort of billet outer half. It definitely didn't look like the OE Delco caliper. The cars wasn't "number matching", so I put the caliper on, bled the system, and everything was OK..

You may have gotten one of these "mongrel" calipers, too.....
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
ykf7b0
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

Just wondering if anyone else has changed a caliper and then had wheel clearance issues? These stock brakes are really getting on my nerves!

LOL at 1st I was happy the new caliper was shiny silver plated and now since I can't see where it is hitting on I'm not. Wheel shows no marks either and I'm too annoyed and tired to mess with it anymore tonight. I'll have to coat them with something so it shows up better tomorrow.

Wheel are centerline convo pros. Can't swap the wheel either, front tires are directional and rears are drag radials.
Is it the passenger side rear that's not clearing?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 831 Likes on 242 Posts

The bleed screw runs close to the wheel, any chance the new caliper has longer bleed screws ?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:48 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

did you swap rotors around ?
front and rear rotors are different dimensions.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Barry's70LT1
The bleed screw runs close to the wheel, any chance the new caliper has longer bleed screws ?
Thx I'll check. I still have the bleeder from the other caliper I pulled apart to o-ring before I saw it wasn't SS sleeved and then got it replaced instead.

I replaced all four calipers with reman, then one of the reman went bad(drivers front) and I replace that one again! Now that one and only that one hits on the wheels I have been using with no problems. Nothing else brake wise was changed, same pads used. The new caliper looks pretty much the same. I do rem reading some clearancing them for other wheels when I searched to see if these wheel would work w/o.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Wasn't China making Corvette calipers that were junk? See if it has the Delco symbol.
If someone stripped out the bleeder screw threads, they would have loctited a bushing in and the bleeder screw would stick out farther than stock. Lou.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 PM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

It was the face that was hitting FYI. I had a .080 willwood steel spacer I just put on it for now instead of grinding it down since I got other stuff I'm dealing with. You can see thru the wheel and it wasn't hitting on the casting numbers, but the wheels have rivets that are higher and may have been just hitting on some other part of the caliper.

edit: also the reman caliper on the pass side has no face casting numbers, but I rem the orig ones had and maybe the one I exchanged didn't.

Last edited by BOOT77; 07-04-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New caliper hits wheel and old didn't!

Quick Reply: New caliper hits wheel and old didn't!