C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:36 PM
addballer696
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Strange Electrical Issues

I have a 1977 corvette thats having some issues.
Background: My GEN light was constantly on and eventually my battery stopped being charged from the alternator. Decided to go the easy route and get a 1 wire alternator. Problem solved. I recently installed halo lights up front that are tapped in with the running lights and work through a relay directly powered by the alternator. My low beams and high beams are also wired up through relays. On a 7 hour drive I stopped at a gas station and my engine wouldn't turn off (had the key out of the ignition). I have a aftermarket radio that has its constant power coming from the bat location on the fuse box. My dash lights went out at some point, ended up being a bad fuse, replaced but may have not been the correct amps. problem fixed.

The Problem: With the key in the on position, the dash gauges are on the whole time regardless the headlight switch position with no dimming effect. The running lights up front along with the halos come on correctly, HOWEVER they will dim and will eventually turn off if the switch is twisted all the way (this only happens with the key in the on position and the engine not running)

With the engine running and lights on nothing dims. headlights, running lights, and gauge lights all stay on full blast. Then when i turned the key to the off position the engine keeps running. The engine turns off along with all lights when I push in the headlight switch to the off position.

With the key out of the car and the engine off (haha i know, sounds ridiculous). The dash lights will dim appropriately and the running lights will stay on full power as they should. However the brake light/ seat belt lights also dim and the tach needle moves up with decreasing brightness of the gauges and down to zero with increased brightness of the gauges.

I'm going to check all my grounds today and from there I have no idea where to turn. Thanks so much. Hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:10 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by addballer696
I have a 1977 corvette thats having some issues.
Background: My GEN light was constantly on and eventually my battery stopped being charged from the alternator. Decided to go the easy route and get a 1 wire alternator. Problem solved. I recently installed halo lights up front that are tapped in with the running lights and work through a relay directly powered by the alternator. My low beams and high beams are also wired up through relays. On a 7 hour drive I stopped at a gas station and my engine wouldn't turn off (had the key out of the ignition). I have a aftermarket radio that has its constant power coming from the bat location on the fuse box. My dash lights went out at some point, ended up being a bad fuse, replaced but may have not been the correct amps. problem fixed.

The Problem: With the key in the on position, the dash gauges are on the whole time regardless the headlight switch position with no dimming effect. The running lights up front along with the halos come on correctly, HOWEVER they will dim and will eventually turn off if the switch is twisted all the way (this only happens with the key in the on position and the engine not running)

With the engine running and lights on nothing dims. headlights, running lights, and gauge lights all stay on full blast. Then when i turned the key to the off position the engine keeps running. The engine turns off along with all lights when I push in the headlight switch to the off position.

With the key out of the car and the engine off (haha i know, sounds ridiculous). The dash lights will dim appropriately and the running lights will stay on full power as they should. However the brake light/ seat belt lights also dim and the tach needle moves up with decreasing brightness of the gauges and down to zero with increased brightness of the gauges.

I'm going to check all my grounds today and from there I have no idea where to turn. Thanks so much. Hopefully one of you can point me in the right direction.
Somewhere in the circuitry you added you are back feeding 12 volts to the ignition, probably through a relay. You need to rewire it, but not knowing how you wired it exactly I can't say how.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:07 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

Do you have schematics for your car? If so, check.

If '77 was the same as '79 the parking (running?) light circuit powers the dash lights circuit. A power lead comes from the "Park" fuse to the headlamp switch. When park or headlights are on it powers both the parking lights and the IP fuse via a splice at the "power" lug of the IP fuse inside the fuse box. It sounds to me like you are giving an additional +12V (either in "run" or "run+ignition") to the running light circuit.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike

If '77 was the same as '79 the parking (running?) light circuit powers the dash lights circuit. A power lead comes from the "Park" fuse to the headlamp switch. When park or headlights are on it powers both the parking lights and the IP fuse via a splice at the "power" lug of the IP fuse inside the fuse box. It sounds to me like you are giving an additional +12V (either in "run" or "run+ignition") to the running light circuit.
Any luck with your issue. I have the same issue and cant figure it out. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:46 PM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Thanks I will check all my grounds and then the switch. When ignigition is off or car is not running switch acts normal.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM
labhound
Racer

This seems to be a common problem, mine is similar, but no problems with the lights, just constant power to the coil, with the key off, only 1.95 volts but enough to make the wire hot!, good thing I have a cut off switch.
New ign switch didn't fix anything either
Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Members have always advised/warned me about two things:

Double-check harness ground wires.

Do not connect extra items to the Batt+ lug on the alternator

(you can do it....but why take the chance on an electrical problem)

As for the O.P.'s problems......disconnect one relay at a time/start the car/repeat disconnecting-starting the car until the problem goes away to find the culprit.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:12 AM
labhound
Racer

If like to go back in time to the person who designed the harness and tell them to put all relays in one spot and don't tuck them way up under the dash or console..
Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

if you disconnect the alternator wire while it is still running with the key off, what happens? does it turn off or keep running? you can isolate the 2 sides of the system and determine if it's the key or that one-wire alternator which by design is probably leaking enough current to back feed...at least that's where I'd start...
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Car doesnt have to be running for these weird electrical issues. Key just has to be turned to on position. I do have a big thick yellow wire near alternato with a round connector on it. I belive it was for the cruise control though
Old 08-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Here is the yellow wire I am talking about. it is near the alternator. Also a brown red and orange wire Bubba cut. Think its either alarm or cruise control related but not sure.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Unplugged headlight switch to teat harness. With ignition switch off no power to brown and light blue but with ignition on there is power to these leads. Is this normal? Still troubleshooting the issue.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Figured it out. Never thought it would be what it was. All set though.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Trevains
Figured it out. Never thought it would be what it was. All set though.
well what was it
Old 08-06-2015, 04:55 PM
labhound
Racer

The planets must be in the right alignment, I fixed my constant power to coil somehow and got it to crank at least.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange Electrical Issues

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Issues