C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut rod bushings and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 PM
vannmike
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Strut rod bushings and shocks

So I'm about to changes the strut rod bushings in the rear of my 77, and decided to change my shocks to kyb's gas shocks. Just looking for a how to go about this, don't wanna get my self hurt. Any help is appreciated guys!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:52 AM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

You're going to have to remove the lower shock mount. Most times it is a bear.
Remove:
Upper shock bolt
Lower shock bolt and shock
Cotter pin and castle nut
Go to lowes and purchase a 3/8 pipe cap, screw pipe cap on shock mount where the castle nut was. Use a four pound hammer to pound the pipe cap. This protects the threads on the shock mount. When the mount is out, the lower end of the strut rod is off.
Now go to the upper stut rod on the bracket. Index the camber bolt so you put it back in the same position and don't lose your alignment settings. Remove camber bolt and strut rod.

Go on YouTube and look at videos from Vtech corvette by Gary Vosberg. Titled how to remove trailing arms, it is a great help. Also, soak the shock mount with liquid wrench every day for a week before starting. It just a nuts and bolts project, but the shock mount can be tough.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:57 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
You're going to have to remove the lower shock mount. Most times it is a bear.
Remove:
Upper shock bolt
Lower shock bolt and shock
Cotter pin and castle nut
Go to lowes and purchase a 3/8 pipe cap, screw pipe cap on shock mount where the castle nut was. Use a four pound hammer to pound the pipe cap. This protects the threads on the shock mount. When the mount is out, the lower end of the strut rod is off.
Now go to the upper stut rod on the bracket. Index the camber bolt so you put it back in the same position and don't lose your alignment settings. Remove camber bolt and strut rod.

Go on YouTube and look at videos from Vtech corvette by Gary Vosberg. Titled how to remove trailing arms, it is a great help. Also, soak the shock mount with liquid wrench every day for a week before starting. It just a nuts and bolts project, but the shock mount can be tough.
Yes..good advice.I would add, put some grease on the shock mount spindle before you mount the new shocks so it will come off easily in the future, if you want to replace the shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Strut rod bushings and shocks

Quick Reply: Strut rod bushings and shocks