C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Lube Places: Yea/Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Lube Places: Yea/Nay?

Need to get an oil change. Not really in a garage situation to do it myself. There is a place (Valvoline) where I've been taking my Jeep for about 15 years without incident and the guys have always treated me great.

If they manage not to cross thread the plug and don't over tighten the filter I think I should be fine.

Opinions?
Old 07-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Luke's Papa
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brother Rob
Need to get an oil change. Not really in a garage situation to do it myself. There is a place (Valvoline) where I've been taking my Jeep for about 15 years without incident and the guys have always treated me great.

If they manage not to cross thread the plug and don't over tighten the filter I think I should be fine.

Opinions?
absolutely OK. It's a car they've probably changed oil on many times nd with the price of buying oil being much higher if you DIY I'd say you made a good choice. You might watch them if you can. You'll know very quickly if they've done it before.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:11 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

never have, never will
Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Brother Rob
Instructor

Originally Posted by redvetracr
never have, never will
I said that once.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:24 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Been using a particular quick lube place for about 15 years. Never a problem. They are actually quite interested in my car and remember it each time and give it special attention.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:19 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Never have Never will!! I am with you. Those places change "boys" like we change clothes and most of them don't know where the drain plug or filter is located without some help. Would never trust them with my '76
Old 07-03-2015, 05:54 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I use them, but bring my own VR-1.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Chinaski
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I hardly let anybody touch my Vette, and the people that have I either know and trust, or have a reputation for working on old stuff.

Oil changes on our appliance vehicles are either done by me or the mechanic that I have been using for 20 years. I know the guy, I know his guys, and I trust him.

Although the dealership is doing my truck right now because it's free...
Old 07-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
... most of them don't know where the drain plug or filter is located without some help. Would never trust them with my '76
Really? Drain plug and filter is plainly visible and much more accessible than most current cars.

That wind you felt is reality passing you by.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:47 PM
haydenray
Advanced

The local Sears auto center knows my car from the previous owner. Not much turnover.

Ray
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
jef602
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not for me ! My friends son worked at one said they never fill the oil filter before install, its little but still
Old 07-04-2015, 03:38 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used one for several years..The owner built some show cars. He used one bay to work on cars, mostly old stuff .. I did see oil coming out from under the GF's Lexus. She had just put it in the garage after having it serviced at the dealership for a road trip.I got it to a Quik Lube place, they found the plug cross threaded ..
Old 07-04-2015, 06:04 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

I change the oil my self but if I could watch them doing it I would feel more comfortable.
I would also check the dipstick immediately. A quick change place shorted my son's DD by two quarts.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

After I retired from working full-time, I worked for Advance Auto parts, part-time, for several years. We sold quite a few ""thread saver" oil drain plugs, to the nearby "Quickie Oil Change" place.....

Originally Posted by jef602
Not for me ! My friends son worked at one said they never fill the oil filter before install, its little but still
I believe that most of those places use a hose, connected to a remote storage tank, so while I understand your point, they can't easily fill the filter separately...
Old 07-04-2015, 08:18 AM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I learned my lesson the hardway, and it only took 2 disasters. When I was a kid I had a p.o.s. car and went to a chain store for a oil change. They came and told me it needed brakes and being young and dumb I let them do it. Car stopped fine, oil filter was new and shiny, but they forgot to put oil in the car. I found out when I left about a half mile down the road. Anyway ended up 45 days later with a $500 car with a $4000 motor and rental car tab. They could have offered me half that and I would have walked away. Vowed to never let any place touch my vehicles, fast forward 20 years, dropped some rims off at a small shop to get some tires mounted and realized I needed an oil change so I let them. Sitting in the lobby heard a tremendous crash. Ran to the shop and saw my truck sitting on top of a caddy and tool boxes. The guy was driving it on the lift, thought he hit the brake but mashed the gas and it took off. It used the stops at the end of the lift for a ramp and cleared most of the tool box and landed on the hood and windshield of the caddy. It nearly killed the tech working on the caddy. Hopefully none of you guys ever have that bad of luck and if you know the shop that makes a difference, but I never will again. Both my experiences were with a national chain store.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

I hate quick lube places. Took my daily in for a oil change in January, it was so cold here in CT I didn't even want to change it in my garage, lol. Fast forward to the next oil change I did in early spring, the hex on the drain plug is all jacked up, like they spun a oversize wrench on a pneumatic tool. The car made it thru 14 years of oil changes just fine until these azzholes got hold of it. I rarely let anyone else touch the vette. The only 2 places were Corvette specialty shops, besides the emissions testing.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:50 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,492 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Brother Rob
Opinions?
After 15 years of loyalty I would hope you have developed a relationship with the counter people. Why not tell them your Corvette needs an oil change and you normally do it yourself but at the present time don't have a facility to do it. Ask them how they would feel about doing it for you. If they don't sell the oil and filter of your choice would you be able to bring your own? Of course you would still be willing to pay the regular price. You never know you could be dealing with a car guy and they would be happy to help you out...........or you could run the risk of destroying a 15 year relationship..........but I doubt it.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Lube Places: Yea/Nay?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:07 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
never have, never will
x2

Nobody has ever turned a wrench on my vette since I owned it.

I let a chevy dealership fix an old Camaro of mine about 20 years ago, they broke the shifter and chipped my brand new paint. Then a goodyear shop changed the oil in my suburban a few years after that cause I was not able to ( laid up with a collapsed lung for a month ), after that the motor started knocking a couple hundred miles later. I think they forgot to put oil in it after the oil change, started it up for a minute before they realized there was no new oil in it yet. After that nobody ever turned a wrench on any of my vehicles again.

Last edited by scrappy76; 07-04-2015 at 10:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Those places scare me. I just serviced a friend's CRV. The cheapie oil filter was overtightened; I was lucky to loosen it. And I think you know the location is difficult to get to... The plug was difficult to remove; a new plug should have been used.

Oil changes are so simple, and they offer a chance to inspect your car's undercarriage. Just do it.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:50 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

It gets down to the ACTUAL PERSON who is touching your car....yes a shop is reputable, but do you trust him?? How fast is he working to get on to the next car??

My bud works at a new car dealer and he only books 10 min time to do a change. The techs HATE that because they would rater book a juicy repair!

Last edited by mikem350; 07-04-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Quick Lube Places: Yea/Nay?