C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rockerarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 AM
fuzzyz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rockerarm

why does oil shoot out like I just cut a vain when I have my valve cover off ? I'm trying to adjust my rockers to stop ticking.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Viz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fuzzyz
why does oil shoot out like I just cut a vain when I have my valve cover off ? I'm trying to adjust my rockers to stop ticking.
You'd best be served by using rocker arm clips like these:

Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 1015 Rocker Arm Oil Deflector Clips: Automotive Amazon.com: Mr. Gasket 1015 Rocker Arm Oil Deflector Clips: Automotive

They deflect the oil while adjusting, but they're not left in place when you're done !

Also, for "extra neatness", if you can find an old valve cover from a regular small block, you can cut it down and just have the lip on the bottom (with a gasket) that will stop the oil from running down off the head at the bottom.

Viz
Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 AM
caryb78
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can adjust them without the engine running its a lot cleaner. The oil is coming up the pushrods and lubes the rockers so not much you can do about it. IF you elect to adjust them without the engine running go to you tube and you can find videos on how to do it since you must make sure the cam is in right position for adjusting int. and exh. valve.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I have my damper marked every 90 degrees so I can adjust my valves cold. And I set the intake and exhaust valve at the same time because its plenty accurate even for solid lifter cams of moderate duration.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:18 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

There are a few things that you can do to stop the mess created by this. the first is to cut out a valve cover so that you can fit a socket on an extention down to the nut on the rocker stud, when you do this cut out the space needed on three sides and bend the other in so that it deflects the oil spray, this is the best way. Next would be the clips, there are two styles, one is a wire clip that fits over the rocker with a plastic "cork" looking piece that plugs the hole and the next is a sheet metal looking piece that slips onto the top end of the rocker and deflects the oil back onto the rocker. The third method is to cut a piece of sheet metal and form it to were it runs around the bottom and side of the head and tucks into the lip that the valve cover fastens to. Like I said the first is the best method that I've found followed by the clip style. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...why does oil shoot out like I just cut a vain when I have my valve cover off ?...
Because small blocks lubricate in that manner.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:17 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Because small blocks lubricate in that manner.
I was gonna say because it was running...why doesn't anyone RTFM anymore??
Old 07-06-2015, 12:46 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Adjusting while it's running is the easiest way to get it right and it's a little messy. I have old valve covers with a thin strip cut out of the middle. Just enough to get a socket on the rocker stud. I have a rubber gasket glued to the bottom of the cover also. It works great and very little mess. As the engine heats up, it stops the oil from overrunning the sides of the head and you get a better adjustment with a hot engine.

Get notified of new replies

To rockerarm

Quick Reply: rockerarm