C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76' rear end info

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 AM
Dfg_eli.l82
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76' rear end info

Hi guys, new to the forum and had a few questions. I just got the car about a month ago. I am not new to cars or being a mechanic in any way. I weld(mostly exhaust work, framework, and bodywork,fabricating) and work on cars pretty much every single day. But I am new to corvettes haha. First corvette I have ever owned. My last cars were pro street Foxbody and sn95 mustangs, and a body mopars. I am wanting to know a bit of tips and info on these cars regarding the stock rear ends and suspension.

So the car is a 76' 4 speed car original motor is long gone and now has a Mr Goodwrench 260/350 crate motor in it. Has a rebuilt Muncie m 21 in it now along with rebuilt rear. I want to know at what power level is the rear maxed out as is?

I'm going with the crate it has now, aluminum Heads(unsure of which ones yet), and I have a brand new comp thumpr cam, and most likely rpm air gap intake or victor Jr., 750 HP holley, full length headers, full exhaust. I'm stocking up on all parts for it. I have cam kit,1.5 roller rockers and carb so far all brand new. so as soon as I have heads, intake etc it will be put on then. Going to get the block decked,and use the thinnest head gasket i can get. Will run on pump gas, and I'll be shooting for around 375whp/400ft/lbs torque or in that area. Also a small shot of nitrous. Max of a 75 shot. My intended purpose for this car will be drag racing. So with the new power would the halfshafts hold up to around 350-400 HP/ft lbs? The stock driveline? Ujoints?

I Will be running a 26x10.5-15" slick. I've been seeing a lot of yes and no, and maybe so. Will it hold up with slicks? And if not what will need to be done to race with the IRS it has now. I want to keep this rear in it, if what I'm hoping to do is doable.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

without knowing the maintenance history of the differential difficult to tell you how long it will last. Have you checked whether the posi is still functioning? Have you removed the existing fluid and checked it? You could switch to larger diameter half shafts and make sure all u-joints are solid, no grease fittings.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 AM
Dfg_eli.l82
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
without knowing the maintenance history of the differential difficult to tell you how long it will last. Have you checked whether the posi is still functioning? Have you removed the existing fluid and checked it? You could switch to larger diameter half shafts and make sure all u-joints are solid, no grease fittings.
Hi, yeah I had said it was rebuilt along with the Muncie they put in the car when they dropped the new engine in. Posi works great. All I know is that they put the crate in there along with the rebuilt Muncie and rebuilt the rear end. I don't know exactly what but halfshafts and ujoints look good. No play on any parts. Let's say rear end was fresh what would it hold? And then pets say it was 30+ years old stock. What would happen given I raced it every weekend with slicks and around 375 ft/lbs? And if I may ask what's first to break? Spider gears? Posi units? Halfshafts? Driveline? Not gonna be launching near the sky but want to run good slicks.

Okay, thanks for thw info and do you know of where i can buy the larger halfshafts and which u joints to use? What place sells them or what not. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Dfg_eli.l82
7th Gear

Motor and tranny have 12 k miles so I'm assuming so does the rear end since the old man said it was rebuilt when they dropped in those two. And pretty much everything's fresh.

Get notified of new replies

To 76' rear end info

Quick Reply: 76' rear end info