C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood Big Brakes... proportioning valve, master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Location: St Louis MO http://1972corvetterestomod.blogspot.com/
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wilwood Big Brakes... proportioning valve, master cylinder?

I have Wilwood's 14" front, 13" rear installed in the midst of my '72 bbc restomod and thinking about brake bias, etc. For those running Wilwood big brakes...

Do you use the stock proportioning valve/distribution block, master cylinder or the Wilwood proportioning valve, master cylinder? How did front/rear brake bias work out for either?

If you use a Wilwood proportioning valve & master cylinder, did it require custom brake line work anywhere?

Last edited by GregS_72; 07-05-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:03 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I started with Wilwood superlites up front and dynalites in the rear on stock rotors. The brakes were biased too much to the rear and it would lock up the rears first.

I replaced the fronts with 13" 2-piece rotors with no other (so still using the same calipers) changes and the bias was correct. Fronts lock up a little before the rears.

So I did not need a prop valve.

I'm using a stock MC for manual brakes (although I have power). The smaller bore of the manual master worked better with the wilwood calipers.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I'm running the 14" 6 piston in front- stock size on the back w/ D8 calipers.

Manual - Wilwood master and proportioning valve.

It comes w/ an easy mount kit- but won't work in my application since I've put the clutch Master right next to it. Has 3/8 24 lines from the master to valve- but the valve out is 3/8 24

The GM fittings are 9/16-18 and 1/2-20 - so yes you will have adapt them to work w/ the Wilwood's prop valve.

I have new brake lines and just going to just have new fittings put on the ends.

Another thing I found- was using an AN3 45º adapter from the front caliper brake line to the OEM lines seemed to work the best.

DSCN3920_zps92fb8c93 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN3842 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5186 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5370 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Thanks Zwede, Richard!

Leaning towards the Wilwoods MC and accompanying proportioning valve... (all the rest of the brakes are new aftermarket, so why stop there! ) mainly the adjustable proportioning valve to be ready to tackle any brake bias with all the changes that I've made. Realizing now that it will take some custom brake line work to plumb it all up too.

Thanks!
Greg
Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Hey Richard...
Where did you get the stainless braided hose coming off your master cylinder in the 3rd pic above and the fitting in the last pic?

Thanks!
Greg
Old 07-06-2015, 09:02 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GregS_72
Hey Richard...
Where did you get the stainless braided hose coming off your master cylinder in the 3rd pic above and the fitting in the last pic?

Thanks!
Greg
Those lines came w/ the rear calipers-However since I'm running coil overs- they were too close to the coils for my liking- so I made up some hardlines.

TOO close-

90º Adapter-
DSCN5372 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr

DSCN5373 by Richard Hayes, on Flickr
Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
GregS_72
Racer

ah OK... running to your proportioning valve down lower I presume. With the Wilwood proportioning valve mounted on the master cylinder, I'm realizing I will need to run my own hard lines off it to the calipers. I guess I could get a pre-made rear cross over line though from the corvette suppliers.

Did you use stainless steel brake line? How was it to bend and flare? Where did you get the line, bending & flaring tools from?

Thanks again!
Greg
Old 07-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GregS_72
ah OK... running to your proportioning valve down lower I presume. With the Wilwood proportioning valve mounted on the master cylinder, I'm realizing I will need to run my own hard lines off it to the calipers. I guess I could get a pre-made rear cross over line though from the corvette suppliers.

Did you use stainless steel brake line? How was it to bend and flare? Where did you get the line, bending & flaring tools from?

Thanks again!
Greg
Hey Greg-

I bought some pre-made lines -IIRC 12" long -flared w/ ends- steel from either Summit or Jegs -Just have one of those hand benders that I have had for a while. I messed w/ one of those cheapy $35 flaring kits- and prefer to have them pre-made because of the lack luster job it (or I!!) did- or buy the really nice one Eastwood has!!!

Richard
Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 PM
GregS_72
Racer

Originally Posted by Richard454

Hey Greg-

I bought some pre-made lines -IIRC 12" long -flared w/ ends- steel from either Summit or Jegs -Just have one of those hand benders that I have had for a while. I messed w/ one of those cheapy $35 flaring kits- and prefer to have them pre-made because of the lack luster job it (or I!!) did- or buy the really nice one Eastwood has!!!

Richard
Got it... Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood Big Brakes... proportioning valve, master cylinder?

Quick Reply: Wilwood Big Brakes... proportioning valve, master cylinder?