C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Door Striker to Latch Fitment...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:52 PM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 1969 Door Striker to Latch Fitment...

Guys,

Just wondering what the original length of the door striker is or if there were any shims put under them from the factory to get proper engagement with the door latch? Were there multiple lengths for different GM cars? The ones I've got are supposedly NOS GM but not sure they are specifically for a vette.

My door gaps are set and they are only "one plastic putty knife wide" so moving the door isn't an option so I'm pretty worried. It's like my striker is too short by about 1/8"!?! The length of the striker from the body is between 1-1/16" and 1-1/8" with an approximately 1/8" thick "washer".

Thanks Guys,
Sum

Last edited by sumcollegekid; 07-14-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:46 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by sumcollegekid
Guys,

Just wondering what the original length of the door striker is or if there were any shims put under them from the factory to get proper engagement with the door latch? Were there multiple lengths for different GM cars? The ones I've got are supposedly NOS GM but not sure they are specifically for a vette.

My door gaps are set and they are only "one plastic putty knife wide" so moving the door isn't an option so I'm pretty worried. It's like my striker is too short by about 1/8"!?! The length of the striker from the body is between 1-1/16" and 1-1/8" with an approximately 1/8" thick "washer".

Thanks Guys,
Sum
The Door Latch Strikers come in a standard length for the 68-82 Corvette.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...latch-striker/

There are also Door Latch Striker Washers/Shims available to position the striker further out. They are typically 1/8th of an inch in thickness, so you can judge how many you may need by the space you need to fill to make it work on your car.

http://www.zip-corvette.com/catalog/...-washers-shim/

It is not uncommon to see 1 and sometimes 2 additional washers under the Striker Bolt/Washer assembly.

As a note, the Door Latch Striker for the 70-92 Camaro is 1 washer thickness longer than the Corvette Striker. If your car needs 1 additional washer, you can purchase the Door Latch Striker for the Camaro and eliminate the need for adding a washer.

You can also check with the folks at Totally Stainless as they offer these Door Latch Striker bolts in Stainless Steel. They offer them in the Corvette length as well as the 70-92 Camaro length. If you need additional length and provide them the amount over stock, they will actually machine a special length Door Latch Striker bolt in SS, in the correct length for you.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 07-14-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: 1969 Door Striker to Latch Fitment...