C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1977 body mounts

Old 07-16-2015, 09:14 AM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 1977 body mounts

They are shot on my 77. Absolutely toasty. From the looks of them... (especially the one that are near the rear wheel arches) they look BAD. I have all the service and repair manuals for the car and from what I read there and online.. body mounts are a nightmare to replace. My buddy came over last night and took a look (he doesn't know anything about Corvettes... he is a Mustang guy), and told me they look really easy to change if I do them one at a time.
So.... how hard are they to replace?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...mounts-c3.html
Old 07-16-2015, 04:24 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
They are shot on my 77. Absolutely toasty. From the looks of them... (especially the one that are near the rear wheel arches) they look BAD. I have all the service and repair manuals for the car and from what I read there and online.. body mounts are a nightmare to replace. My buddy came over last night and took a look (he doesn't know anything about Corvettes... he is a Mustang guy), and told me they look really easy to change if I do them one at a time.
So.... how hard are they to replace?
The link that was sent to you says it all. Easy? I don't think so but hey I think you may be in for a surprise.
Good Luck and keep us posted. Pictures always help.
R
Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

That link in post #2 contains a TON of wisdom. My post assumes you have read that that discussion first; i can only supplement what hdpete98 already wrote. I am in the process of restoring a 1974 coupe and have learned a few hard lessons along the way. It is no easy task, plan on a few days. Most importantly, allow time to walk away and come back to it.

In my experience, I spun a few of the nuts that are in the cages welded to the frame. I then had to lift the body and cut the bolts, and investigate whether I had to weld new cages or could I make the existing cages work.

In the end, my "body mount replacement" turned into an almost frame off. Lifting the body in the front is quite tricky and you have to go slow slow slow, especially if you don't plan on repainting the car.

PS- I went with the Energy Urethane kit, its cheaper than the replacement 'rubber' bushings.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:05 PM
jgcable
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool bean
That link in post #2 contains a TON of wisdom. My post assumes you have read that that discussion first; i can only supplement what hdpete98 already wrote. I am in the process of restoring a 1974 coupe and have learned a few hard lessons along the way. It is no easy task, plan on a few days. Most importantly, allow time to walk away and come back to it.

In my experience, I spun a few of the nuts that are in the cages welded to the frame. I then had to lift the body and cut the bolts, and investigate whether I had to weld new cages or could I make the existing cages work.

In the end, my "body mount replacement" turned into an almost frame off. Lifting the body in the front is quite tricky and you have to go slow slow slow, especially if you don't plan on repainting the car.

PS- I went with the Energy Urethane kit, its cheaper than the replacement 'rubber' bushings.
After all of the reading.... i am leaving mine as they are. Thats entirely too much work. My car drives and handles great with the crusty ones.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:27 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by jgcable
After all of the reading.... i am leaving mine as they are. Thats entirely too much work. My car drives and handles great with the crusty ones.
May be a wise decision for now, and just keep an eye on them or any strange things that may happen down the road.
R
Old 07-17-2015, 11:27 AM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Could be a can of worms....

Get notified of new replies

To 1977 body mounts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1977 body mounts