C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1974 power steering ram rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1974 power steering ram rebuild

I'm reasonably good at rebuilding things, provided that I can get the repair parts.
So I'm wondering, where is a source for the best quality rebuild parts for the power steering ram on my '74.
The next question is, has anyone converted to a steering gear with the hydraulics built in?

Or is suggesting such a thing considered blasphemy?

Last edited by The_pakettle; 07-26-2015 at 02:07 PM. Reason: blasphemy
Old 07-26-2015, 02:41 PM
SI67
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by The_pakettle
I'm reasonably good at rebuilding things, provided that I can get the repair parts.
So I'm wondering, where is a source for the best quality rebuild parts for the power steering ram on my '74.
The next question is, has anyone converted to a steering gear with the hydraulics built in?

Yep, 20 lashes with a power steering hose. One of the ones you won't need after you install a Borgeson.

Last edited by SI67; 07-26-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:10 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by The_pakettle

It only takes about 30 minutes to put a new rod seal in and the seal kit costs about $15 if I recall. And the kits are readily available.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the cylinder is functioning OK, then the only thing to change is the outboard seal set. As mentioned, that replacement seal set is inexpensive and doesn't take much time to do. You do have to be careful not to damage the ram surface when you dig the old seal out. Note the order of the removed seal pieces, so you can rebuild it properly (if there is no good set of instructions with the seal kit).

If you find the ram to be bent or have excessive wear on the surface (light surface 'frosting' is fine and not abnormal), that could be causing leaking and would require ram cylinder to be replaced. It's a sealed unit, so internal repairs can't be made.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:46 AM
wyocat
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just did this job myself along with control valve rebuild. Lots of good suppliers and help videos. The Ram can only have the end seal replaced as it is a welded unit.

Parts:
Wilcox
https://willcoxcorvette.com/parts?cat=205

or
Corvette Stainless Steel Brakes
http://www.cssbinc.com/c3powersteering.aspx

and just all others Zips, Paragon....etc

Repair Videos and docs

http://www.cssbinc.com/howto.aspx

Just to name a few
John
Old 08-01-2015, 12:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Before you try to rebuild the cylinder take a hard look at the rod. The rod is chrome plated and if you look right in the middle and see a wear groove through the chrome I wouldn't waste my time or money trying to fix it.

Over time the rod will wear "On Center" and create a dip (or groove) in the rod, when this is present the constant in and out movement will just wear out the new seal.

If you look at this picture you'll see what I'm talking about. Look between the 6 1/4 to 6 5/8" marks on the tape and you'll see it. You'll be able to feel it with your finger too. If you cylinder is in this shape then I would go with a new one.

If you don't have this on your rod then by all means the rebuild is pretty easy.

Willcox

Old 08-24-2015, 12:56 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Neat info here

Bookmarking

vetfever
Old 08-24-2015, 04:05 PM
The_pakettle
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the Borgeson steering gear and now I have spare parts left over, namely a ram and control valve set from the '74 and another set from my '75 parts car.
If anyone wants either, just let me know. You can have them for the price of shipping and maybe a few $$ for my troubles packing them.

Get notified of new replies

To 1974 power steering ram rebuild

Quick Reply: 1974 power steering ram rebuild