C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Camel Hump" Heads....would you??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 08:12 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default "Camel Hump" Heads....would you??

over the weekend, I was offered a set of "camel hump" heads for $50 if they check out OK for cracks,etc. there's a little bit of rust here and there,they've been sitting in a 3 sided farm shed for a few years now. I would like to pick these up and put them on my 79, but there are no accessory mounting holes on these heads, so i'm not sure how i would mount the alternator,AC etc. would a serpentine type belt system work in this application?Anybody got some ideas? I was also offered a '68 396 with a Th400 for $300 to $350, they have both been rebuilt, but also have been sitting in the barn. other goodies on the barn shelf, include a rebuilt 454 with 2 sets of heads, another bare 396 block and a 402 block. all the of engines came out of pick-up trucks, this friend also has some exhaust manifolds from a vette, a set of finned aluminum corvette valve covers and another set of "Camel Hump" heads that have been rebuilt and are kept at home in his garage. these last items are not for sale, at least not now. this friend is sometimes over zealous in describing items in his possession, but he said if the machine shop checked the heads out, $50 would be the price. i figure another $250 to have the heads rebuilt. I just don't know how to attach the accessory brackets. If I decide to buy,I will post the head #'s here before i buy them to make sure they are correct.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:22 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: "Camel Hump" Heads....would you?? (Gary79)

Your machine shop should be able to drill and tap the heads for accessories. You might consider finding someone who wants a set of original, non-drilled heads for a restoration and ask about a trade. (Usually those guys have lots of fun stuff to barter with.) :D
Old 08-20-2002, 11:26 AM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard good things about the 202 camel hump heads.
Total price would be 300?

For 400 you can get fully assembled Vortec heads and they will beat the snot out of the old 202 heads. Of course you would have to get a new intake too..and then the list continues. :cheers:
Old 08-20-2002, 11:39 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

These are what are commonly refered to as "fuelie" (2.02) or "double hump" (1.94) heads. They are closed chamber and require lower compression pistons to run on the street. Also, as you noted, there are no accessory holes. I'd hold out for a set of heads with the chamber size you want and holes IMHO. I doubt if you would be able to use any of the brackets that those engines came with. they bolted to the exhaust manifold, intake, and lower block, they are hard to find, and I don't think there is enough room on a vette to use that configuration. If they aren't cracked, $50.- is about right.
This guy sounds like a pack rat (not a bad thing) and I bet you would be suprised at what he'll take for some of that stuff.

Hans
Old 08-20-2002, 01:20 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I recall, these old fuelie heads don't have the re-inforced areas on the heads where the accessory holes would need to be installed, so while it may be "possible to mark, drill and tap, the necessary holes, not sure that it'd be advisable.

Also remember that these are old heads that do not have the hardened exhaust seats which are recommended for burning unleaded gasoline, so by the time you factor in new valves, springs, guides and seats, plus labor, bet you will be looking at total cost of $500 or more for this set of "cheap" heads.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:36 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: "Camel Hump" Heads....would you?? (john's '81 mouse)

for now I think I'm going to pass on these heads, by the time I spend $$ on the heads and a way to mount accessories, I could buy a set of bare hji-po heads and have the local machine shop put the valves,etc. in, and be cheaper and have accessory bolt holes. And John you're right there isn't a lot of "meat" on these heads, no drilling and tapping would be possible without comprimising. the guy is a pack rat and the funny thing is, it isn't even his barn that this stuff is stored in. it's in a mutual friend's barn, been accumulating since the mid 60's.

[Modified by Gary79, 5:38 AM 8/21/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To "Camel Hump" Heads....would you??

Quick Reply: "Camel Hump" Heads....would you??