C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Twin Turbo LSx.....Project 8 second street car

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:21 PM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 76 Twin Turbo LSx.....Project 8 second street car

Finally took the time to put together my build thread. Just a little back ground. I'm now 20 and live in Missouri. I got my first corvette at 16 and fell in love, the l48, l82, and 383 i have had just wasn't enough. Here is an overview of this build.

6.0 lq9 Block built by GM Performance.
317 heads with .660 btr plat springs
custom cam from LJMS
ls9 head gaskets
ls7 lifters
Holley Hi-Ram
twin 67mm 1.05 ar turbos
twin 44mm mvr tial gates
twin tial 50mm bov's
th400, mvb, reverse pattern, brake, aftermarket bell housing, billet internals.
4 link moly suspension and QA1 springs
Moser ford 9"
275/65/15 8.5 wide tire
custom radiator mounts
ms3 pro with bump box, 2 step, traction control
E85 fuel
210lb injectors
twin 044 fuel pump

All new wiring, new fuse box, new relays, switch panel and MS3 pro controls everything. There is not an inch of used electrical parts in the car.

If anyone has any questions just lmk!! If your local stop by and check it out. I travel to help put ls motors in peoples c3 corvette and do all the wiring for them. This is my biggest passion and will help all I can.

Now let the pictures begin!

July 29th - Purchase date

Picked it up in St. Louis from a 1 car owned who was now paying for his grandsons college. It only had 30k miles!

August 3rd - 350 gets pulled!

We completed pulling the engine in about 4 hours, Radiators hoses/fan shroud took up more time than wanted.

August 8th - Interior gets stripped down

I wanted to inspect the floor boards, treat rust, also fix a fiberglass crack.

September 7th - Engine bay got painted

Since I was installing just a beauty of a motor I couldnt have it in a dusty old engine bay right?!

December 5th - Engine assembly

I received the brand new 6.0 lq9 short block from gm performance all balanced and assembled. I am pairing it with machined 317 heads with btr springs, muscle car oil swap pan, Holley high ram (later swapped), and truck accessories (later swapped out as well).

December 30th - Lsx install

I install it with motor mounts that put the lsx in the sbc location so I can retain my th400 mount locations.

Update: Got a friend helping wire up the whole car, a whole new chassis harness gets built because a scum bag theif still has my harness’s I sent him to repair.

Painless switch panel

Relays

MS3 pro and 8ft. harness

New fuse box

Stock harness for pigtails

Update: we are making great progress on the ms3 pro wiring. All the inputs are done and we are going to work on injectors’ coils and the rest of the outputs next weekend.

When the harness is done well pull it back out and make it all pretty! :partyon:

Update: Bunch of stuff arrived today! had the ecu 2 day shipped to me and was incredibly quick!

I got the motor put together with the injectors, coolant crossover, valve covers, and the rest of the sensors. It looks awesome!! The coil packs are being relocated.

I created a cutout of where the AC\Heater went. Mounted the MS3 Pro on it. The new fuse box is on the side to the right. This is all just falling together so perfect. The switch panel is in the middle at the top and wired up. The relays are going to be mounted next week with the coil packs. 2 weeks the fuel cell gets back and I'll lay the lines, put the turbo manifolds on, put the starter on and fire her up and starting tuning it! Still have a TON of fab work and it still looks like next year till it is done. :partyon::partyon:

Update: Got the whole ps3 pro wired up. Coils mounted. Spark plug wires started. Also injectors and all sensors done. Relays started to get wired up. Then the turbo kit started, went with twin 67mm gt45’s, twin 40mm tial wastegates, twin 50mm tial bovs, and a custom turbo cam kit from ljms. Got it all dual ceramic coated inside and out to keep heat down. We are also switching to an electrical remote water pump to give more room for exhaust. It will be just an ati dampener to alt belt setup.

Last edited by BoostedC3; 09-02-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

All I can say is WOW ! that's one hell of a lot of nice work !

One pic shows the engine in the bay and the next shows 2 perfectly located turbos and manifolds. That some serious welding. Did this come in a kit and if so is there a link to who is selling it ?
Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 PM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotorHead
All I can say is WOW ! that's one hell of a lot of nice work !

One pic shows the engine in the bay and the next shows 2 perfectly located turbos and manifolds. That some serious welding. Did this come in a kit and if so is there a link to who is selling it ?
This is a "part kit". We ordered some ebay up and forward ls1 manifolds for $170. We had planned to make a jig and replicate them. When we mocked them up the welds were awesome and materical actually thick. so we used them! Ordered up some v band elbows and welded on the v bands for the wastegates. Fits perfect. Would not change a thing.

Here are some more pics of the kit coming together, fuel cell, turbos, etc. Enjoy!

Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product, since you are going through the effort if you could keep a list of all the parts you used and the suppliers and post that at the end of your thread you'd be the hero of alot of members that are completly interested in your project and for future twin turbo enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 PM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluedawg
Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the end product, since you are going through the effort if you could keep a list of all the parts you used and the suppliers and post that at the end of your thread you'd be the hero of alot of members that are completly interested in your project and for future twin turbo enthusiasts. Thanks for sharing.
I have receipts for every part, I can make a list and help someone duplicate it to every bolt without an issue.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedC3
I have receipts for every part, I can make a list and help someone duplicate it to every bolt without an issue.
Nice, the twin turbo question gets asked and it seems more lately with street outlaws, it will be super nice to be able to direct them to your thread. Like i said, THANK YOU FOR SHARING!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:09 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Looks very nice!! You're going to have a lot of fun!!

JIM
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 PM
BoostedC3
Instructor

For anyone actually wanting to do this here are a few things you need to know. This is no longer a toy. The power coming out of set ups like these is insane, it will break loose, wheel stand, etc and requires dang good driving. It also isn't cheap. There is no room to cheap out on. Every component needs to be replaced with upgraded parts for safety and reliability. I will have well over $10k in just chassis mods from cage, 4 link, 9", harness, manual rack, etc. My motor is around $3k, Turbo kit is around $3k, Trans is $4k with converter, 9" is $3k, standalone and electronics is around $2k, gauges and racepak is around $2k, interior pieces is around $1k, cooling system will be north of $1k, fueling system is over $2k. These numbers are rough and no labor involved.

I hope everyone enjoys the future updates, we are shooting for around May of 2016 to start testing.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 PM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely awesome!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:52 PM
BoostedC3
Instructor

We forgot head dowels....

So we tore the motor apart. After 2 months of sitting with no turning it, one of the cylinders had rusted pretty bad. I was slightly happy and was about to buy dart block but then my friend said he wanted to look at it. I thought it had been pitted, but after a wheel hone and new crosshatching it cleaned right up and perfect cylinder walls this time. The motor now has wd40 while stored till fire up...

Also the motor is getting a relocated electric water pump to remove the accessory system and it will be just a balancer to alt belt setup.

Pics of carnage

Old 08-01-2015, 02:18 AM
marc1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the location of the turbos for your set up,is there room to have more accessories other than just the alt, or is there no room at all?
Old 08-01-2015, 09:56 AM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm interested in seeing how you're going to get a radiator in there!
Old 08-01-2015, 11:48 AM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by marc1973
With the location of the turbos for your set up,is there room to have more accessories other than just the alt, or is there no room at all?
All f-body accessories fit fine, we had 3.3" from turbo to tensioner. My downpipe is 3" and I didn't want to go to a 2.5" because 3" would be too close for me. So I made the call to switch to remote electric. Corvette and truck accessories do not work. Only f-body. No idea on A/C or ps.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:50 AM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I'm interested in seeing how you're going to get a radiator in there!
Radiator will be easy! We are getting a radiator a few inches shorter, and moving it 2" forward and the necessary downward mounting to make hood clear.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:04 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostedC3
Radiator will be easy! We are getting a radiator a few inches shorter, and moving it 2" forward and the necessary downward mounting to make hood clear.
Awesome. That part really has my attention. I'm guessing your radiator will have some extra cores to make up for the smaller size.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:51 AM
BoostedC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
Awesome. That part really has my attention. I'm guessing your radiator will have some extra cores to make up for the smaller size.
Just a 2 core with 2 electric fans and a shroud. Seems to cool my friends procharged ls3 just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Twin Turbo LSx.....Project 8 second street car

Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 AM
BoostedC3
Instructor

We tore the motor down, ball honed cylinder walls. My friend and I slaved putting it back together, got head dowels in, turbo kit back on. We wired up the new battery cables and finished all the interior wiring. The motor has turned over!!! Compression checks out also. Next is to test oil pressure, bolt on the intake, get injectors, and hopefully we have the motor running in 2 weeks.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm taking careful notes…as I'm doing the same (kinda) thing except with a 5.3, and much much larger tires out back :P

Question: are the turbos simply "bolted on" to the headers or did you also make some support brackets?
I "almost" bought those headers off ebay as well, but wasn't sure they would fit….I know now….hmmm already stared modifying my truck manifolds….headers do look bad *** though...
Old 08-03-2015, 10:23 PM
htown81vette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

You have done a very good job of making me jealous. BASTARD.

Just kidding, nice job I can't wait to see the results.

Quick Reply: 76 Twin Turbo LSx.....Project 8 second street car