C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CRC (Corvette Rubber Company) Weatherstrips

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:31 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts
Default CRC (Corvette Rubber Company) Weatherstrips

I did LOTS of searching here and chose the CRC weatherstripping kit from sponsor Willcox for my '79.

All is now installed and I am EXTREMELY pleased.

The fit of every piece seems perfect. The outer layer is very durable and I had no problem getting it into the small side of the retainer on the windshield pillars without damage.

The overall "squishiness" seems to be nearly perfect. The doors close better than before with just the right amount of effort and zero bounce back. No problem with the power windows rising without excess friction against the seal and without the use of lubricant.

While my original door seals were in good condition in most areas, they were shot in the areas that matter most--the lower corners both front and rear. Now the windows are perfectly sealed and I no longer find the need to move them rearward

The T-top weatherstripping had been replaced before but the installer did a poor job and they still leaked.

The replacement took quite a few hours and I used 1 1/2 large cans of 3M general purpose adhesive remover.

The door main seal was easy as I followed advice found here to first attach both ends (with screws), fit into position (HOT weather didn't hurt here) and adhere in three stages (front, rear, bottom).

If you remove the windshield pillar reveal moldings you WILL need new sealant in the inside "V". Mine had been removed previously for a windshield replacement and it was no longer doing anything. The best modern equivalent I could find for the original sealant used in the reveal moldings and the "T" molding was blacktop patch (in a standard caulk tube). I had the GM part number and inquired at NAPA and a Chevvy dealership to find that it was unavailable with the substitutes they suggests NOTHING like the original. Unfortunately I used the last of my (asbestos) fibered roofing tar a couple years ago as I'm nearly certain that such was the original.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:31 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Thanks Mike that good info. I may be looking for some seals in the near future.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good Deal

Thank you for the order and the great product review.

Willcox
Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 PM
oledave60
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That's what I used and where I got it it. Great product, Also I received t-top seal that did not fit, but one call to Willcox and they new just what I needed and it was on the way,
Old 09-18-2023, 12:20 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My C5 convertible Weatherstripping

Originally Posted by oledave60
That's what I used and where I got it it. Great product, Also I received t-top seal that did not fit, but one call to Willcox and they new just what I needed and it was on the way,
Hi. I know this thread is almost as old as water and I looked up CRC and they don’t seem to be online. If there’s any updates on the companies
making weatherstripping? Thousand thanks!
Old 09-18-2023, 12:34 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by km60sb@yahoo.com
Hi. I know this thread is almost as old as water and I looked up CRC and they don’t seem to be online. If there’s any updates on the companies
making weatherstripping? Thousand thanks!
Corvette Rubber Company is open and in business.
I just recently purchased from them.
Their customer service is awesome.
https://corvette-rubber.com
Old 09-18-2023, 01:30 PM
km60sb@yahoo.com
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Weatherstrip for C5 convertible

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Corvette Rubber Company is open and in business.
I just recently purchased from them.
Their customer service is awesome.
https://corvette-rubber.com
I agree corvetterubber is an outstanding company selling excellent products.
I had the top replaced after 21 years this summer and had the corvetterubber C5 convertible 7 piece weatherstrips installed together with the top.

First rain the weatherstrip leaked from every joint.
I contacted corvetterubber, Mike at corvetterubber called me back I explained the problem and he emailed a return label and issued a immediate refund.
Then.
I reinstalled the original weatherstripping and stopped all leaks except the one that’s always leaked in super heavy rains.
seems the top is not closing tight enough + the corvetterubber is not pliable enough to close at the joints and seal at the windows.
Are other companies like steelrubber.com
(they don’t send samples) weatherstrip more pliable?
Thanks again
Old 09-19-2023, 05:58 AM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

I bought mine from http://www.docrebuild.com/ So before all the negative posts, I've never had a problem in over 30 years with the doc.
Old 09-19-2023, 12:28 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,002 Likes on 687 Posts

I used their seals on the entire car. Great product and seals nicely. I did this job about 8 years ago maybe longer.
Soft Seal
The following users liked this post:
km60sb@yahoo.com (09-20-2023)
Old 09-19-2023, 03:41 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Originally Posted by 3X2
I bought mine from http://www.docrebuild.com/ So before all the negative posts, I've never had a problem in over 30 years with the doc.
I’ve bought some hard to find parts from Doc Rebuild.
His webpage is what it is, but he has come through for me a couple times.
I’ve heard that new door rubber can take some time to take a set and actually seal like it should.

Get notified of new replies

To CRC (Corvette Rubber Company) Weatherstrips

Quick Reply: CRC (Corvette Rubber Company) Weatherstrips