C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 headlight switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Rich Trevains
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 headlight switch problems

Have gremlins in my electrical system. It seems when I turn my key to accessory or go to start car side marker, tail lights, and front parking lights come on even with headlight switch in off position. Weird thing is that I can turn headlight dimmer switch counter clockwise and they all dim except the dash and gauge lights stay bright. With key and ignition to off postion headlight switch works normal and dims dash lights. Its only when ignition switch is on thatheadlight switch acts funny. any ideas im stumped.

Last edited by Rich Trevains; 08-02-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 AM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a issue with my h/l switch also. My guess is that after nearly 40 years the potentiometer was just flat worn out. Mine worked fine until turning on the lights, then I would also have my left t/s indicator illuminated. Turn signals still worked fine, just weird illumination. If I adjusted the switch I could cure it for a few brief seconds. I replaced the switch and cured all the odd issues, and yeas after removing the switch I could see the old coil covered with dust, grime and unknown residue
Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Chevywrench
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When ever I diagnosed "odd" electrical problems you always start with all the major grounds. If a large ground is lost the components will seek ground where ever it can. This causes these odd/interesting complaints. Try to find an electrical schematic but start with the large grounds first i.e. big black cables, battery/engine block etc.. and keep moving. I will also add even through a ground may "look" good, I would recommend that you still remove it and clean it.

If all the grounds check out you have to get a good copy of the electrical diagram for your car and start tracing circuits with a volt meter and find out where the problem is. Be very careful of past bubba installs of radio's/fog lights or what ever.

Get notified of new replies

To 77 headlight switch

Quick Reply: 77 headlight switch