C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson dead center - play in wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:43 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Default Borgeson dead center - play in wheel?

I don't remember the steering play feeling this bad before but I have made a number of changes to my car so I wanted to get general feedback.

I just put all new suspension on my 71 (Ridetech coilovers) so every component up front is brand new, no worn bushings, etc.)

I do have 18x10" wheels up front which could be contributing to some of the feedback but basically I have a very large dead spot in the steering wheel. I do have a tilt/tele column which was completely rebuilt about 1.5 years ago. When I turn the steering wheel, while stopped in the garage, I can watch the shaft turn equally with the steering wheel so it isn't like the wheel is turning and the steering shaft has any play. There is no rag joint as a universal joint connects the column to the box, so that piece is not worn either.

Here is a video showing how much play I have in the steering wheel

Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I have the Borgeson box and there is no play on center, so something is going on...

1) Have you double checked that when the steering wheel is straight, the box is exactly in the center of travel? The box is only tight in a narrow range in the center.

2) Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you check under the car where the play is. It may not be the box.

3) With the wheels off the ground (engine off) you should feel the steering get tight right on center. There should be a noticeable increase in drag.

If 3) shows no increase in drag on center you can tighten the set screw on top of the box. But only do that if all the other tests come up negative. Over-tightening the set screw will shorten the life of the box.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I put the Borgeson box on my 72 and if I turned my wheel as much as you did in the video, I'd be swapping lanes completely. Look underneath and verify where the play is, something may have come loose.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:05 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zwede
I have the Borgeson box and there is no play on center, so something is going on...

1) Have you double checked that when the steering wheel is straight, the box is exactly in the center of travel? The box is only tight in a narrow range in the center.

2) Have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you check under the car where the play is. It may not be the box.

3) With the wheels off the ground (engine off) you should feel the steering get tight right on center. There should be a noticeable increase in drag.

If 3) shows no increase in drag on center you can tighten the set screw on top of the box. But only do that if all the other tests come up negative. Over-tightening the set screw will shorten the life of the box.
Thanks, I'll check those items this evening if I get time. I have not confirmed the box is center when the wheel is straight, I don't recall it having a marker to identify it. Wouldn't the orientation of the pitman arm indicate this though as it would be going on at some crazy angle if the shaft was not straight?

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I put the Borgeson box on my 72 and if I turned my wheel as much as you did in the video, I'd be swapping lanes completely. Look underneath and verify where the play is, something may have come loose.
It is not very fun on the interstate at about 70 MPH.... You are constantly turning just to keep it straight.... I don't think anything is loose though. The car was just aligned Saturday and the tie rods are nice and snug.

As I turn the wheel, I can see the steering shaft moving the input shaft on the steering gear. I am just not getting the same output from the box as I am inputting. It is like a dead spot.

I don't remember now if this is the case but if the dead spot happens even when the wheel is turned (and all suspension components are in good order) would that be an indication that something is amiss in the box?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Sounds like you're off-center and then the shop compensated with the tie-rods to make it go straight.

With the wheels off the ground you can easily find the center of the box (where it gets tight). Remove the steering wheel and re-install so it is straight. Finally adjust the tie-rods to make the car go straight. As long as you turn each tie-rod the same amount you don't need another alignment.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
widowmaker221
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I don't remember the steering play feeling this bad before but I have made a number of changes to my car so I wanted to get general feedback.

I just put all new suspension on my 71 (Ridetech coilovers) so every component up front is brand new, no worn bushings, etc.)

I do have 18x10" wheels up front which could be contributing to some of the feedback but basically I have a very large dead spot in the steering wheel. I do have a tilt/tele column which was completely rebuilt about 1.5 years ago. When I turn the steering wheel, while stopped in the garage, I can watch the shaft turn equally with the steering wheel so it isn't like the wheel is turning and the steering shaft has any play. There is no rag joint as a universal joint connects the column to the box, so that piece is not worn either.

Here is a video showing how much play I have in the steering wheel

YouTube
That happened to my Borgenson box soon after I installed it.I sent it back and they either repaied or sent me a new one that has been fine for many miles now. It actually scared me the first time that happened as I was on a curvy road and the car did not turn a first and I thought I was going for a scenic route thru the woods!!
Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

All the above comments make perfect sense. The only thing I can add is that the idler arm is sometimes overlooked as one of the contributors.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

I initially posted that I wasn't sure what was going on, but then I watched my video a couple more times and saw it.

Right at the 6 second mark. I didn't catch it with my eye from below. The set screws were both tight, and the one on the otherside you can't see, was engaging the flat spot on the gear. I loosened everything, moved the u-joint and cinched it all back down. The dead spot is now gone.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I initially posted that I wasn't sure what was going on, but then I watched my video a couple more times and saw it.

71 Corvette - Borgeson box dead spot follow up - YouTube

Right at the 6 second mark. I didn't catch it with my eye from below. The set screws were both tight, and the one on the otherside you can't see, was engaging the flat spot on the gear. I loosened everything, moved the u-joint and cinched it all back down. The dead spot is now gone.
I had a similar problem with mine. I could feel a slight "click" when coming off center, turned out one of the nuts wasn't quite tightened down all the way. Autocrossed it for the first time in 11 years yesterday.... very nice.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:10 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
I had a similar problem with mine. I could feel a slight "click" when coming off center, turned out one of the nuts wasn't quite tightened down all the way. Autocrossed it for the first time in 11 years yesterday.... very nice.
How was the steering with the borgeon box and how did the old girl do auto crossing?
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jb78L-82
How was the steering with the borgeon box and how did the old girl do auto crossing?
It did great! I couldn't have asked for it to drive much more nicely:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-11-years.html

Quick turn in, responsive, great control and it sounded bad-*** (although the video didn't capture that ).

Beat the heck out of the tires, though...

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson dead center - play in wheel?

Quick Reply: Borgeson dead center - play in wheel?