C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have this ticking noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:29 PM
vimzzz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have this ticking noise...

Yes, its another one of those threads...

I just cant figure out where this noise is coming from. I built this engine this winter, and in the spring it ran quiet and good.

Mid summer I installed the supercharger, after changing the cylinder head gaskets, and assembled it all together again. Then the ticking started. Its not the rockers. You can hear them in the video below, but the ticking noise Im talking about, or more like a clacking noise you can hear beside the noise from the rockers. It sounds like a diesel, and it does not go away when the car gets hot, and it follows the RPM of the car.

I have a Hydraulic flat tapped camshaft and roller rockers as you can see.

Video of the noise at startup (warm engine):

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:33 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

have you tried a stethoscope or just a piece of rubber hose to narrow down the source of the noise?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM
vimzzz
Advanced

Originally Posted by MelWff
have you tried a stethoscope or just a piece of rubber hose to narrow down the source of the noise?
Yes, I went around the engine with a stethoscope (except underneath). I couldnt exactly determine anything from it. The sound seems to be noticeable about anywhere on the block.

Its not the fuel pump atleast, there I couldnt hear ****.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're running an auto trans, check the torque converter bolts. High revs will sometimes loosen them up and they'll make all kinds of noise.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:14 PM
vimzzz
Advanced

Btw. I was checking the roller rockers with the covers off today to see if it was them, which it was not. During the 5 minutes it took to do this, I didnt see about any oil fill up in the heads. The holes which leads the oil down again is at the top of them, so there has to be some flooding before it flows down. Isnt that a bit strange during 5 minute?

Also, I know it flows oil to the top. I attended a drag race on saturday, and on full RPM it spewed oil through the gasket of the valve cover at the right side. So it would have had a lot of pressure and oil in the heads. Can this excessive noise be because of a clog or bad oil pump?
Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Also, I know it flows oil to the top. I attended a drag race on saturday, and on full RPM it spewed oil through the gasket of the valve cover at the right side. So it would have had a lot of pressure and oil in the heads. Can this excessive noise be because of a clog or bad oil pump?
I think that would be due to bolwby pressure. A boosted engine is going to have more blowby that an NA engine. Are you venting both valve covers?
I would be checking the oil pressure. Seems a bit odd that you did not witness more oil flow from the rockers in the span of 5 minutes. Is the gauge electric or actual? Is it accurate? If that check out maybe flow is impeded somehow. oil pickup loose, oil pump problem etc. Must have some if you are able to drag it and not seize anything.
My drain back holes are at the bottom of the head, not the top. Seems that arrangement may encourage leakage from the valve cover.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:24 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 796 Likes on 545 Posts

I chased a ticking noise around for a long time. What I ended up doing was open the hood and start the engine after dark. What I found was one or two arcs coming from bad plug wires. Not enough yet to show up in the performance, but enough to make a ticking noise. Just a thought to do the simple stuff first. You might luck out. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:40 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

Check those header gaskets underneath (at the heads.) If you do it when it's cold, you can quickly check all eight before it gets too hot.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 PM
woolf708
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try taking the belt off the blower. Maybe the lobes inside are rubbing on each other?
Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Sounds like valve lash so to be sure it is or is not..............

I would adjust the valves one by one and with it running .. Back off till one clatters , slowly tighten till it stops and add cam makers suggested lash setting. Do all that way on both sides ..

OR as I am sure someone will chime in dont adjust while it is running,, do it this way

Get #1 to Top Dead Center
loosen one at a time until you feel push rod and rocker arm have separation , SLOWLY snug nut until arm and push rod have no slack between them and then add cam makers suggested pre load turn

Exh.- 1 – 3 – 4 -8​
Int.- 1- 2 – 5 - 7 ​

Get #6 to Top Dead Center

Exh.- 2 – 5 – 6 – 7​
Int.- 3 – 4- 6 - 8​
Old 08-16-2015, 01:33 PM
vimzzz
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies so far.

Its not leakage at the header gaskets as I changed these and there were no traces of exhaust anywhere.

I've also adjusted my valves while the engine is running without any significant change.

I also started the engine with the belt to the supercharger disconnected, and the sound was still there.

From what I can hear its not the valves, as the sound is much for distinct than valve ticking, its more of a deep clacking sound, that of a diesel engine.

I am however going to have a deeper look at the inside of my engine when I store the car for the winter in a few months, by ordering a new crankshaft, pistons and rods. At this point Ill check the oil pump for any flaws aswell.

The gear box is a 4 speed manual M21, so its not a converter making the sound, but I can exclude the fact that the sound is coming from the back of the engine / front of the transmission either.

Get notified of new replies

To I have this ticking noise...

Quick Reply: I have this ticking noise...