C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firewall Modification for A/C

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:10 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Firewall Modification for A/C

My 79 was one of the few made that had no a/c from the factory, and I want to put a/c in. I looked at several of the aftermarket vendors such as vintage air, and their direct fit kits stop at 1976. These kits have electrical controls instead of vacuum, meaning I cannot adapt a stock 79 climate control panel.

Since I have the car off the frame, I figure this is the best time to make the addition. I've looked through the AIM and cannot find any dimensions for the hole in the firewall, but I only looked through the section covering the a/c installation. I suppose it could be somewhere else. I have a pattern for 70 - 76 'vettes. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is the same? If not where can I find the dimensions? Thanks.

MajD
Old 08-12-2015, 05:07 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MajD
My 79 was one of the few made that had no a/c from the factory, and I want to put a/c in. I looked at several of the aftermarket vendors such as vintage air, and their direct fit kits stop at 1976. These kits have electrical controls instead of vacuum, meaning I cannot adapt a stock 79 climate control panel.

Since I have the car off the frame, I figure this is the best time to make the addition. I've looked through the AIM and cannot find any dimensions for the hole in the firewall, but I only looked through the section covering the a/c installation. I suppose it could be somewhere else. I have a pattern for 70 - 76 'vettes. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is the same? If not where can I find the dimensions? Thanks.

MajD
Don't give up the idea of an aftermarket AC. I installed a Vintage Air system into my 77 - do a search of the Forum - my write up is titled VINTAGE AIR INSTALLED IN A 77.

On different forum, there was a recent thread (July 18, 2015) by a shop in Pompano Beach FL that has installed a number of Vintage Air systems into 78-82 C3's.

If you want more info, PM me.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:37 AM
Vince'82
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a vintage air gen IV in my 82.
I started with a universal evaporator kit.
it's really tight under dash but it fits.

I still need to install compressor/condensor/lines.

I modified the provided bracket so I could bolt the evaporator from engine side (2 bolts)

and made 2 custom brackets which clear glovebox liner (which have to be slightly modified to fit)

ac/heater lines go through cool air door

and I intalled a bulkhead where the stock fan hole was

for the defroster, I used and modified the provided vents

for the console vents, I modified the stock duct to use provided hoses

same for side vents (had to modify passenger side duct so it clears between dash and VA evap

glovebox liner fits if you modify (heat) it to clear stepper motor

evap is low under the dash.

everything is tight and I had to slightly move the courtesy light

I modified my shifter console to fit their billet control panel.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MajD
...I've looked through the AIM and cannot find any dimensions for the hole in the firewall, but I only looked through the section covering the a/c installation. I suppose it could be somewhere else...
Check the pages at the front of the AIM.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:59 PM
MajD
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Check the pages at the front of the AIM.
I looked through the beginning of the AIM and could not find any dimensions for the hole. I suspect that it was never cut out. Only about 6,700 of them had no a/c, so cutting out 47,000 firewalls to install a/c would not be efficient.

I think I'll make a template from the dimensions I have and see how well it matches up to the interior and exterior boxes. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Firewall Modification for A/C

Quick Reply: Firewall Modification for A/C