C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6L50 transmission or 4 Speed saginaw 72 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 05:49 AM
thelargechic
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 6L50 transmission or 4 Speed saginaw 72 corvette

Now currently I'm pushing around 400hp, 500ft lbs torque. My car came with a saginaw. Previous owner took out the muncie. I'm a bit afraid that once I actually start driving this around my engines just going to break this lowly saginaw. However I did get a 6L50 for free which is a 6 speed automatic out of a 2015 V6 camaro. (Thought it was a 6L90) bit bummed out now. But is it worth even swapping? Or should I just wait it out and find a muncie/super T10 and see how well the saginaw works (the casting numbers are from 76, believe it's out of a truck of some sort idk if that makes a difference.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The automatic transmission that you have requires a transmission control module and making the swap into your vette can be quite extensive. Although possible it may not be worth it.
There are three basic input signals needed by a transmission control module in order to control the shifting.
1. Vehicle Speed.
2. Throttle Angle.
3. Engine Speed (RPM)

The transmission control module will also need.
1. Brake signal input.
2. Engine Temperature
3. Transmission temperature
4. Transmission gear selection (commanded by driver).
5. Transmission input speed.
6. Transmission output speed.

You will also need a transmission oil cooler.

Not so feasible in the long run. Most who have manual transmissions like the fact of no horsepower loss through the mechanical coupling of a manual transmission. I would either keep the Saginaw or get the Muncie.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

There is no horsepower loss thru the "mechanical coupling" of a manual transmission? Where on earth did you ever get that notion? If there was no horsepower loss thru the clutch or transmission they would remain at ambient temperature.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:23 AM
usmilret
Instructor

Originally Posted by toobroketoretire
There is no horsepower loss thru the "mechanical coupling" of a manual transmission? Where on earth did you ever get that notion? If there was no horsepower loss thru the clutch or transmission they would remain at ambient temperature.
I stand to be corrected.

A manual transmission does create heat through friction/resistance. You be correct in a (horsepower loss) however very minimal.

In and of itself a mechanical clutch once engaged will not create heat.

When you couple a manual transmission the flywheel and clutch and pressure plate are mechanically locked together. This provides a direct coupling from the engine to the transmission. There is very little loss of torque within a manual transmission.

I was speaking in somewhat reference vs an automatic transmission.

When an automatic transmission is hydraulically coupled through the torque converter, (hydraulic coupling) you will have some loss of torque through hydraulic resistance. The fluid changes direction and drives the turbine. The turbine within the torque converter drives the transmission thus the torque converter creates quite a bit of heat.
When the power control module commands overdrive within the torque converter the torque converter then mechanically couples the engine and transmission together. This will greatly reduce the loss of torque and reduce the amount of heat.

It can be argued that any friction/resistance is a loss of torque, this I will not argue. I am referring to a manual transmission vs an automatic transmission.
Some would love to have a manual transmission versus an automatic because more torque is applied to the wheels.

I hope that this clarifies it a bit and do apologize if there was any confusion.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

You are forgetting anything with mass takes horsepower to spin so your flywheel, clutch plate, and pressure plate DO consume horsepower (aka the flywheel effect). Once a torque converter is locked there is a direct coupling thru the transmission but its the mass of the spinning parts that consume horsepower. As the spinning parts in an automatic transmission have more mass they consume more horsepower. That is the reason aluminum drive shafts were first used and now carbon fiber is being used to reduce rotational mass.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 AM
usmilret
Instructor

It would be a good thing not to detract from this original thread.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Check to see if there's even an aftermarket controller for that trans. Last I looked they were $700 and up.
For that money, you could put in a Muncie or T10 and enjoy shifting.

Get notified of new replies

To 6L50 transmission or 4 Speed saginaw 72 corvette

Quick Reply: 6L50 transmission or 4 Speed saginaw 72 corvette