C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! I FORGOT the answer!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:48 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Default HELP! I FORGOT the answer!!!!!!

1970 350 cu.in. engine/Edelbrock 1405 carb/upgraded HEI mechanical tach drive distributor---eliminated the resistor wire/set advance at 12* initial timing and connected dist. to ported vacuum at carb.

The engine idles perfectly.....it revs perfectly...........

BUT.......

between 800 rpm and 1200rpm it spits/stumbles/backfires/stalls out.

IF I REMOVE THE VACUUM LINE TO THE CARB....THE PROBLEMS GOES AWAY COMPLETELY.

Please remind me what I did wrong so I can undo it (PTSD has me "brain-locked").
Old 08-21-2015, 04:38 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Test the diaphragm in the vac advance can, it could be ruptured giving you a vacuum leak as soon as the throttle is cracked open.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
connected dist. to ported vacuum at carb.
connect it to manifold vacuum and see what happens.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

You may have set it to 12 degrees but its very possible its not 12 degrees because of a bad damper. People don't realize their 40 year old 3-piece dampers have outer rings that will slowly slip to a retarded position so when they time it to say 12 degrees the actual timing could be 20 degrees or more. When you unplugged your vacuum advance and it suddenly ran good that indicates your damper's outer ring has slipped to a retarded position. Try timing it to 0 degrees and see if it runs good.

Never use the so-called "ported" vacuum for your vacuum advance. Only use manifold vacuum. Ported vacuum was used all thru the 1970's to reduce NOX levels for emission reasons and once computer controlled systems came about in the early 1980's the initial timing returned to it's previous 15 to 16 degrees of advance at idle.

Last edited by toobroketoretire; 08-21-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default Timing

Did you set your initial timing with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged? I agree with using manifold vacuum. There are a few timing papers on the forum from John Z and Lars. Both are great sources. Jerry
Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

AAAAHAAA! Thanks Members! It's connected it to ported vacuum

I'll test the diaphram with my mighty-vac/then set the timing/then connect it to manifold vacuum/then adjust idle air screws.

I'll use a dial indicator on the #1 cylinder intake valve to find T.D.C. so I can see if the damper has slipped.

I'll check my notebook to see if I made a copy of Lar's paper's last year.

I'll post the results.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:06 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

I'm back. I checked the diaphragm......it holds 20 with the mighty-vac forever.

I checked the harmonic balance with the dial indicator on the #1 cylinder intake valve,,,,,it's showing about 2* advance on the timing tab/close considering the method I'm using.

I removed the vacuum hose from carb since it was connected to ported vacuum.

I set the engine idle at 500 rpm....smooth idle.

I revved the engine and got about 20* advance at 3,000 rpm/no vacuum connected.

I adjust the idle air screws using a vacuum gauge/15 lbs/3 full turns from closed/700 rpm (2 full turns caused a rough idle).

The engine idles smoothly at 700 rpm.

I set the timing to 12*.

I turned off the engine/restarted it.....started well.

THEN.....I connected the vacuum hose to the small MANIFOLD port on the base of the Edelbrock 1405.

Next.....I connected the other end of the vacuum hose to the distributor vacuum advance.

THE ENGINE QUIT AS THOUGH I TURNED THE IGNITION OFF!

WHAT DID I DO WRONG???

NEED ADVICE..........................
Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 PM
nw2571
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll use a dial indicator on the #1 cylinder intake valve to find T.D.C. so I can see if the damper has slipped.
Use a piston stop to find TDC. If you can't find a thread here on how to do it, try a google search.

The intake valve isn't going to tell you when the piston is at TDC.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

First off, HEI or points?
If adding the vacuum advance killed it, look at the dizzy and see if adding vacuum is causing the breaker plate to pinch a wire. I have seen bare wires chaffed under them.
Next, set the mech advance at 36* at 3000 RPM. Forget static. No one drives at idle.
You want a smooth curve from 16* or so at idle up to 36* all in by 2800-3000RPM.
You want the vacuum advance to add 16* . at cruise you would be at 52* which is fine under little load.
The car will start at 16*, then go to 32* with vacuum.Floor it, and the vacuum drops out to 16*, the car accelerates to speed, then vacuum adds 16* to increase millage when cruising.
With me so far?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nw2571
Use a piston stop to find TDC. If you can't find a thread here on how to do it, try a google search.

Yep. Sorry I missed that.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

You are right....the crank can be rotated a few more degrees to reach TDC even when the indicator needle stops moving.....I was just using the indicator on the valve to see when it actually closed fully before TDC...I needed a reference point to make sure the outer ring on the balance hadn't spun/slipped 10-15* over the years

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
First off, HEI or points?
If adding the vacuum advance killed it, look at the dizzy and see if adding vacuum is causing the breaker plate to pinch a wire. I have seen bare wires chaffed under them.
Next, set the mech advance at 36* at 3000 RPM. Forget static. No one drives at idle.
You want a smooth curve from 16* or so at idle up to 36* all in by 2800-3000RPM.
You want the vacuum advance to add 16* . at cruise you would be at 52* which is fine under little load.
The car will start at 16*, then go to 32* with vacuum.Floor it, and the vacuum drops out to 16*, the car accelerates to speed, then vacuum adds 16* to increase millage when cruising.
With me so far?
It's HEI. I had the distributor completely apart two weeks ago testing the coil/checking for broken/bare wires....module was bad--replaced it.....but I'll check it again in the morning...I'll put a mark on the balance at 36* for reference and follow your directions.

Rookie question: If for some reason I set the initial advance too high with the engine idling at 500 rpm ( occasionally I do stupid things)----would attaching the vacuum hose to the distributor cause the timing to advance so much that it caused the engine to stall?

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-21-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Did it turn off, or cough and stall?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:16 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
Did it turn off, or cough and stall?
Thanks for sticking with me!

The engine stopped just as though someone turned the ignition off/no spit/no sputter/no cough/no backfire/nothing........makes me think that your "dead short" advice could be causing it to die...but I needed to ask the "extreme advance question just to be sure".
Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 PM
nw2571
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right....the crank can be rotated a few more degrees to reach TDC even when the indicator needle stops moving.....I was just using the indicator on the valve to see when it actually closed fully before TDC...I needed a reference point to make sure the outer ring on the balance hadn't spun/slipped 10-15* over the years
I don't mean to keep harping on this, but I strongly recommend you find TDC for sure before proceeding much further. Otherwise none of the advance values referenced here mean anything.

The intake valve should OPEN near TDC, not CLOSE. The piston chases the exhaust valve closed, and the intake valve chases the piston down the bore.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

I don't mean to keep harping on this, but I strongly recommend you find TDC for sure before proceeding much further. Otherwise none of the advance values referenced here mean anything.

The intake valve should OPEN near TDC, not CLOSE. The piston chases the exhaust valve closed, and the intake valve chases the piston down the bore.
Got it (I'm a slow learner).....Tomorrow I'll check the dist. for shorted wires at full advance and set the #1 piston on TDC/double-check the timing mark for 0*.

Thanks Members for sticking with me (P.T.S.D./A.D.D. SUCKS!)

Tomorrow
Old 08-22-2015, 04:48 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

I removed the driver-side valve cover and used my 2"-travel dial indicator in the spark plug hole to find T.D.C. on the piston at the top of the compression stroke.....I used a drinking straw to feel the piston rising....then inserted the dial indicator rod to watch the needle as the balance mark began to become visible.

The timing tab showed that the harmonic balance was within 1* of 0* on the timing tab.

I also removed the dist. cap and rotor to double-check the pick-up coil wires which were in good shape since the dist. is only 2 years old/the wires were clear of the vacuum advance also.

That was as far as I got....then had to stop and go out of town.....I won't be home until late tonight

Tomorrow I will go through the steps that Big2Bird posted, and will update my results.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

ANOTHER ROOKIE QUESTION:

Do the individual marks on the timing cover TAB represent 1 degree for each mark........

OR.......

2 degrees for each mark?

Thanks in "advance/LOL" for the answer.

EDIT: Internet search says "2 degrees per mark". Does that sound correct (the internet NEVER lies?)

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-22-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! I FORGOT the answer!!!!!!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:34 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

2 degrees per mark
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SH-60B
2 degrees per mark
Thanks! It's official......I (stupidly) set the total timing at 60* (24* base/add 20* mechanical/add 16" vacuum!)......thinking each mark represented 1*.

Now I can follow the other members advice and eliminate the stumble between 800-1200 rpm/along with the stalling when connecting to manifold vacuum.

I'm going to the garage now and reset the timing/no wonder it was hard to start once the car was driven for an hour....it was practically "firing" on the #8 cylinder instead of #1 cylinder on start-up!

Rookies!

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-23-2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:39 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks! It's official......I (stupidly) set the total timing at 60* (24* base/add 20* mechanical/add 16" vacuum!)......thinking each mark represented 1*.

Now I can follow the other members advice and eliminate the stumble between 800-1200 rpm/along with the stalling when connecting to manifold vacuum.

I'm going to the garage now and reset the timing/no wonder it was hard to start once the car was driven for an hour....it was practically "firing" on the #8 cylinder instead of #1 cylinder on start-up!

Rookies!

Yeah, the initial timing plays a HUGE role in how hard it is to crank because if ignition starts too early it tries to force the piston back down.

Here's something else to consider. It has long been known Chevrolets, Fords, and Mopars make the most power with around 36 degrees of advance but that's for drag and circle track racing where the use of high octane gasoline is common. What works good in racing doesn't always work good for street engines because street engines operate in a very wide rpm range. Have you ever noticed how easy it is to hear your engine's noises when you're driving alongside those concrete freeway barriers? If you have the opportunity to do so give your engine a HEAVY throttle in high gear and listen carefully for signs of a "rattling" sound (pinging). Quite often 36 degrees is too much for street engines so dropping it back to say 30 to 32 degrees is often better for the engine because it gives you more flexibility.

Quick Reply: HELP! I FORGOT the answer!!!!!!