C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dart heads, lifters, rockers & pushrods

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 11:10 PM
nivensid
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Dart heads, lifters, rockers & pushrods

Not far from ordering Dart 152123 heads, roller tip rockers, pushrods and some new lifters (have one ticking). Here is the shopping cart from Summit with everything except the lifters.
This will be for my L48 in my 78 vette. Motor runs strong on a five year rebuild .030 over.
The stock heads suck big time, next will be the cam after bank account permits.
For those with experience please check out the list to ensure I have quality parts and make suggestions on the lifters I will need.

Thanks

Fel-Pro 7733PT2 - Fel-Pro Head Gaskets

Head Gasket, PermaTorque, 4.125 in. Bore, .039 in. Compressed Thickness, Chevy, 265-350, Each

FEL-7733PT2

$13.97

Proform Parts 66891C - Proform Pushrods

Pushrods, Chromoly, Heat-Treated, 5/16 in. Diameter, Stock Length, Chevy, Small Block, Set of 16

PRO-66891C

Proform Parts 66906B - Proform Stamped Roller Tip Rocker Arms

Rocker Arms, 3/8 in. Stud Mount, Stamped Steel, Roller Tip, 1.5 Ratio, Chevy, Small Block, Set of 16

PRO-66906B

Summit Racing SUM-152123 - Summit Racing® Cast Iron Cylinder Heads for Small Chevy

Cylinder Head, Cast Iron, Assembled, 72cc Chamber, 165cc Intake Runner, Chevy, 302, 327, 350, 400, Each

SUM-152123
Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a thought but why tear it down twice. I did this with a Harley motor and bought all my parts over a winter and summer and sent it all to the shop for a complete 88 inch to 95 inch, huge cam, big heads and everything all at once.

If interested I have a new mid range SBC Cam, double timing chain and gears as well as lifters still in the box I will cut you a heck of a deal on.

While you are at it pull the radiator and have it boiled so you don't have that issue later. Also get the rubber mounted to replace the missing one if your car is anything like mine was.

I had planned on a rebuild and opted for a crate motor instead.

Karsten
Old 08-23-2015, 01:11 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

just a dumb question? how much more are cheap full roller rockers and say 180 or 190 heads?

Have you figured out your compression ratio? If you have dished piston you might have very low compression with 72 cc heads
Old 08-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

You shouldn't order pushrods until you have checked the length needed for the new setup.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I would eliminate any part with the word Proform on it then proceed. Rocker arm and pushrods you want good stuff
Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I bought these stainless steel full roller rocker arms thru E-Bay about 6 months ago and they were only $129 with free shipping. They're certainly made in China but they appear to be excellent quality.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by nivensid
.......... some new lifters (have one ticking).
I would start here. Your cam could be trash.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by Big2Bird
I would start here. Your cam could be trash.
Ditto... mine did this when I bought the car...PO did not know he had to use a ZDDP additive and just used modern engine oil which wiped the original l48 cam... I found another block and built another engine over the course of a year to swap out. my original engine is sitting on an engine stand in my garage now... glad I went that way since I had a lot of bolts break off when attempting to remove the exhaust manifolds alone.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:46 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

the rockers and pushrods you could do better on.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Order a Dart head with a larger port. Go 180cc.
The Proform pushrods are made by Trend Performance in Michigan....they are is good as you will find.
The Proform rockers are ok.....there are better choices.
Comp make an investment cast full roller rocker for $160 a set.
It is never a good idea to put new lifters on an old cam.

Good luck to you!
Jebby
Old 08-23-2015, 10:09 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi,

1. I would invest a little extra and get the FelPro Performance head gasket. This picture will show you the gasket you are looking at on bottom in blue and the 1010 performance piece on top so you can see the larger cooling holes on the center cylinders.

This is valuable insurance against cracked heads due to excess heat.

2. The heads you are looking at are the same as Dart Iron Eagle SS 165 cc runner heads.

These heads come in two flavors. 72cc chambers and 67cc chambers. I really wish Summit sold the higher compression 67cc ones but they don't.

I bought some blemished Darts from Terry Rosbush on ebay. He has a deal with Dart. Just something to think about.

If you are going to go through all the effort of a head change, my advice is make it worth it.

I am all about maximizing value but I also want to get some performance. Here is what I did.

Dart Iron Eagle SS 67cc with 165cc runners
machined for guide plates
2.02/1.60 undercut valves
Comp 981 springs
Harland Sharp rockers
Comp hardened pushrods
Crower Cam Saver lifters. (more insurance)

Just some other options for you.

Cheers,
John
Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by johnt365
Hi,

1. I would invest a little extra and get the FelPro Performance head gasket. This picture will show you the gasket you are looking at on bottom in blue and the 1010 performance piece on top so you can see the larger cooling holes on the center cylinders.

This is valuable insurance against cracked heads due to excess heat.

2. The heads you are looking at are the same as Dart Iron Eagle SS 165 cc runner heads.

These heads come in two flavors. 72cc chambers and 67cc chambers. I really wish Summit sold the higher compression 67cc ones but they don't.

I bought some blemished Darts from Terry Rosbush on ebay. He has a deal with Dart. Just something to think about.

If you are going to go through all the effort of a head change, my advice is make it worth it.

I am all about maximizing value but I also want to get some performance. Here is what I did.

Dart Iron Eagle SS 67cc with 165cc runners
machined for guide plates
2.02/1.60 undercut valves
Comp 981 springs
Harland Sharp rockers
Comp hardened pushrods
Crower Cam Saver lifters. (more insurance)

Just some other options for you.

Cheers,
John
Sound advice.....and I met Terry Rosebush 25 years ago....pretty solid guy. I almost bought some blems from him the other day but found a set of used Iron Eagles for a good deal.
Harland Sharps are still a great deal in the performance world. They pretty much developed the full roller rocker for racing in the 60's.
Comp pushrods are made by Trend as well. Trend makes them for Comp, Manley, Proform and others.
Forgot all about Fel-Pro performance gaskets having the larger hole. This coincides well with the larger holes in the Dart heads as compared to a GM.

Jebby

Jebby
Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 PM
nivensid
Racer

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a lot to learn here and all this information is priceless. I'm starting to think a crate engine long block built for street cruising with about 350 hp may be the better route for me.
The L48 I have now runs as it should on a 5 year old rebuild. I could use all the bolt ons with the crate engine.
Eldebrock Performer Intake, new Speed Demon 600 cfm card, Steve White HEI Distributor, new GM Mini Starter to name a few.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

I scored a set of dart iron eagle 180 /64cc heads with harland sharp roller rockers for $300 on craigslist.... a quick look there this morning shows a set in my area for sale for $600 ... just saying craigslist can be a good source since for some it takes months or years to complete their builds and they can change their minds along the way and end up with these extra parts for sale cheap.

with the low compression dished L48 pistons I would not go bigger than the 64cc chambered heads myself...
Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 AM
nivensid
Racer

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
I scored a set of dart iron eagle 180 /64cc heads with harland sharp roller rockers for $300 on craigslist.... a quick look there this morning shows a set in my area for sale for $600 ... just saying craigslist can be a good source since for some it takes months or years to complete their builds and they can change their minds along the way and end up with these extra parts for sale cheap.

with the low compression dished L48 pistons I would not go bigger than the 64cc chambered heads myself...
I have the receipts from the engine rebuild in 2007 where the block was bored .030, turn crank,resize the rods and rebuilt the stock heads. Not sure what pistons were installed after the block was bored. Tried calling the shop who did the work but no luck so far. I bet their records don't go back to 2007.
There has not been 5000 miles put on the motor since the rebuild.
Also rebuilt the trans and A/C unit.
Guess I will have to pull the heads to see what pistons were installed.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:22 PM
nivensid
Racer

Default Update

Flat top pistons were installed when the block was bored .030. With that said what would be a good top end kit for low end torque with the 350 trans and stall converter if needed. Weekend driver for fun but don't want to get left by a mini van.

Get notified of new replies

To Dart heads, lifters, rockers & pushrods

Quick Reply: Dart heads, lifters, rockers & pushrods